Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My last question was answered so quickly (thanks spdickey) I figured I'd post my other question. :)

Do we have to specify exactly what we want when we make a reservation? I'd really like to think about the options for a bit. But are they building the cars they are importing based on what people reserve? Am I in line for a car or a specific car?

And if the cars are being made to match reservations, can I change my specifications?

OK, that's more than one question, but they all cover the same topic.... :rolleyes:

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
My last question was answered so quickly (thanks spdickey) I figured I'd post my other question. :)

Do we have to specify exactly what we want when we make a reservation? I'd really like to think about the options for a bit. But are they building the cars they are importing based on what people reserve? Am I in line for a car or a specific car?

And if the cars are being made to match reservations, can I change my specifications?

OK, that's more than one question, but they all cover the same topic.... :rolleyes:

The reservation specs are just a place holder. You can completely change out your colors, model and options when you get the invitation to configure your car on-line. I am guessing you will have a 2nd chance to change your mind when you actually sit down with the dealer to sign the purchase agreement prior to the factory order for that vehicle being set in stone. As with most other manufacturers, the order placement to factory production will only be a 6 week process. (Then you have to wait for shipment, delivery and prep at port of entry)

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
As with most other manufacturers, the order placement to factory production will only be a 6 week process. (Then you have to wait for shipment, delivery and prep at port of entry)
I think the confirmation order cars are being assembled as we speak for the first 5,000 cars. So we're pretty much stuck with what we confirmed unless another car becomes available (someone fails to pay). At least colors can be easily changed! Later on the order process is said to be fully automated from the website to the factory and you just see the dealer for delivery, unless you have to "kick the tires" first. Penske talked all about this in the San Jose videos, see them in the Video forum.

I failed to add fog lights and the tach/clock on my confirmation. Guys at the smart house said they can be added as a dealer installed option. Phew!

·
Registered
423 Posts
I think the confirmation order cars are being assembled as we speak for the first 5,000 cars. So we're pretty much stuck with what we confirmed unless another car becomes available (someone fails to pay). At least colors can be easily changed! Later on the order process is said to be fully automated from the website to the factory and you just see the dealer for delivery, unless you have to "kick the tires" first. Penske talked all about this in the San Jose videos, see them in the Video forum.

I failed to add fog lights and the tach/clock on my confirmation. Guys at the smart house said they can be added as a dealer installed option. Phew!
Which date of reservation represent the last of the 5,000 for the assembly line

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Penske was talking about the first 5000 orders (confirmations) in hand in San Jose, October 2007. First confirmations were due back the last two weeks of September. So my guess is that these represented at the most the first 3-5 weeks of $99 reservation requests. Who's got the spreadsheet with all the figures?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Actually, I think it is an easy calculation, we are working on the assumption that they were sending out 350 configuration emails/week. 5000 orders/350/week brings us to the first 14 weeks of configuring.
If they have 5000 confirmations in hand, this means they have picked up the pace of sending out confirmation emails (as they said they would). We have only been at the configuration game for 9-10 weeks

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts

How about as an owner installed option? I like my work better than some guy at a dealership. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts