Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Admin emeritus
3,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen this trailer in action? Looks like it fits the car great and I would imagine that it would be a great trailer to tow.

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
Good looking but not safe

Here is another good looking trailer
No question about the trailer being nice looking but I would put the car on it facing backwards due to the weight distribution of the Smart. If loaded as shown, the trailer would not track very well as the trailer tongue would be pretty light. This can get you into a situation where the trailer is trying to steer the towing vehicle....been there done that....and when the trailer starts to sway back and forth uncontrollably, it is NOT a nice feeling, especially if the tow vehicle is not that large as it tries to push the back end of it side to side. JMHO

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would put the car on it facing backwards due to the weight distribution of the Smart.
When towing a Smart "forward loaded" you need to ensure the trailer is designed for the Smart and built with the axle is correctly positioned to obtain the correct nose weight.

Note the axle slightly aft of the cars CoG

Alan

·
Registered
13 Posts
possible trailer?

I'm planning on trailering my Smart behind the RV/bus. This tubular trailer looks good...I think.

Under $2000 with a 2000lbs weight rating, proper axle location.

Kendonusa.com seems well respected in the motorcycle trailer community and they have several other styles to chose from.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Smart Trailer Form Bantam Trailers USA

Here is the email reply I received recently from Bantam Trailers USA regarding the trailer they make for the Smart. The price is competitive with a four-down towing system. I have no affiliation with Bantam Trailers USA.

Hey William,
You can check out my trailers at www.bantamtrailersusa.com . There is a link on the lower right corner to see a brochure about the trailers. These trailers are produced here in the USA under a license from Bantam Trailers in the UK. These trailers were designed with the assistance of Daimler Benz and Smart UK back in 2002, and been available in the UK and Europe since then.

We have the exclusive rights to produce these trailers here in the USA, and have brought them up to US DOT standards. We use a bit heavier axle than the UK trailers, as well as trailer brakes. The trailers weigh 625 lbs empty, and come pretty well equipped as pictured with fenders, spare tire, loading ramps, nose wheel with tongue jack, and brakes. The trailer also comes with rear stabilizer jacks so that the car can be loaded on the trailer without it being hocked to a tow vehicle. We are currently working on a gravel guard for the front on the trailer.

We currently have a few available for immediate pick up at our manufacturing facility in Ft Worth, Texas. The current price is $2,495 fob Ft Worth.

Please check it out and let me know if you have and questions or concerns.

Winston "Flash" Gordon
Bantam Trailers USA
Ft Worth, Texas

·
Banned
4,888 Posts
I remember a car dealer named Swift! Why not Flash or maybe Slick!

I'm not too keen on trailer or dolly towing behind my coach. Many parks do not allow them to be stored at your site and charge additional storage fees for them to be parked in a different area. I've had to manhandle a trailer into one of those storage areas because my little 28 foot MH was too big to maneuver in the lot. Try it with a 40 footer!! No thanks, I'll flat tow!!

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts

·
Banned
4,888 Posts
This is your captain speaking, the thread you are reading has been hijacked and is currently I in route to a new topic. We apologize for the inconvenience and will return to the original topic shortly. Until then, please sit back and enjoy the detour.

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
towing section on forum

Has anyone seen this trailer in action? Looks like it fits the car great and I would imagine that it would be a great trailer to tow.
There is a towing section in this forum. There is a lot of helpful information there. :cool:

·
Registered
590 Posts
We would like to tow the Smart. Is this possible with four on the ground?
Yes it is - I've been doing that. There are other threads that talk about it.
I considered trailering another small car but instead decided to buy the smart since it was light, small, easily towed - and I'd have only the towed vehicle to contend with, not the vehicle and a trailer as well. You still have to tow regardless.

·
Registered
53 Posts
There is a towing section in this forum. There is a lot of helpful information there. :cool:
isn't this thread IN the towing section? or is there another area i've yet to discover? not trying to be a *ahem* smartarse. i am also looking for a trailer on which to tow my smart. they seem to be very few & far between & this towing section seems more interested in things to tow behind the smart or all 4 down. i'm looking to trailer it behind my RV.:D

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Smart Cars should ride on Smart Trailers...

Hi folks,

If you want a trailer built in the US, visit us at
www.SmartTrailerUSA.com

Our Smart Trailer USA was designed specifically for the RV market. It comes with electric or hydraulic brakes - your choice, same price.

We also build custom versions for special use, like hauling Segways on the same trailer, or with a kayak-canoe-surfboard rack above the smartie.

Take a peek, you'll like what you see!

Richard Hill
Smart Sales, LLC
www.SmartTrailerUSA.com

1 - 20 of 21 Posts