Smart Car of America Forum banner

Which of the follow transmissions would you select if you had the choice.

• 5 speed full automatic transmission

Votes: 15 25.4%
  • 5 speed automated manual (no clutch pedal)

Votes: 16 27.1%
  • 5 speed manual (with clutch pedal)

Votes: 28 47.5%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cash initiated a poll that limited the selection to the automated-manual and a full manual transmission, effectively giving the non-manual drivers only one choice. Here's a poll with all 3 options.

·
Registered
181 Posts
my choice remains the same

i want the game controls on the steering wheel option :cool:

(right next to the optional force field button when i sense my personal space is being invaded)

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I want to be able to text message using the paddles, unless the speech recognition feature becomes available. I'm so in touch!

·
Registered
834 Posts
Without spending time with a manual with auto clutch it seems like to vote on this is to vote on a guess of what we MIGHT like rather than what we think from experience. I have driven manuals, auto and SMG on a couple of Marques, but, still don't have enough experience SMGs to fully appreciate or dislike them. Would like to see this poll in a couple of years.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
No code Fred is into fully automaic stuff

I would need to adapt speech recognition and machine Morse to QSO with you on 147.480 simplex... NOT

I am dissapointed there is no automatic parking feature.... OH yes, I forgot, it would cost more then the car...hey a guy can wish.. can't he?

I am already looking into rear disk brakes and air ride (lower or higher) suspension

Dave you gonna put in a HF rig and and a Solid state Amp with more Kilowatts then the Smart motor has?

·
Registered
8 Posts
my vote is for a traditional manual, for the sake of simplicity and driving enjoyment. I drove a smart this summer with the automated manual, and it was ok but definitely one of the few areas I think could use some improvement.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Auto, but automated manual will do. too many stop lights and brake lights between home and work - a manual clutch gets old very fast.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I want to be able to text message using the paddles, unless the speech recognition feature becomes available. I'm so in touch!
"Texting and Cell phone use" while driving makes me very nervous. To me, it looks like a bad accident waiting to happen and completely inattentive driving. I really hope some laws get passed.:(

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
MT with clutch is for me, too

I've been driving standard transmission cars since 1959....why change now? My legs and arms still work, too! :D

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've been driving standard transmission cars since 1959....why change now? My legs and arms still work, too! :D
It's just too difficult for us geezers to learn to drive them new fangled atomic transmissions. I'll see if I can retro-fit a Hurst triple shifter on this bad boy. The GSX engine is looking like a good bet too.:D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Transmission

I OWN TWO HYBRID CARS A CAMRY AND A INSIGHT BOTH WITH CVT TRANSMISSIONS . AND AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED SMART SHOULD HAVE CONSIDERED ONE. IT IS SUPER SMOOTH AND SAVES ON GAS . THERE MIGHT HAVE BEEN SPACIAL CONSIDERATIONS .

RLEEN:cool:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Transmission

I OWN TWO HYBRID CARS A CAMRY AND A INSIGHT BOTH WITH CVT TRANSMISSIONS . AND AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED SMART SHOULD HAVE CONSIDERED ONE. IT IS SUPER SMOOTH AND SAVES ON GAS . THERE MIGHT HAVE BEEN SPACIAL CONSIDERATIONS .

RLEEN:cool:

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
GSXR powered SMart

It's just too difficult for us geezers to learn to drive them new fangled atomic transmissions. I'll see if I can retro-fit a Hurst triple shifter on this bad boy. The GSX engine is looking like a good bet too.:D
Ihoboy,
You apparently saw that video with the GSXR powered Smart. I did some checking on that and found there is a outfit in the UK that sells the complete clip with that engine setup to drop right into a Smart 450.

$10k including shipping and it's yours they said. I was really impressed with the little buggers zip!!
A fellow technologist has one of those bikes and I asked him how much it was worth and when he wanted to sell it. When he asked me why I was interested in it (cause' he knows I hate motorcycles mostly because of their inherent danger) he laughed and simply said to let him know when I wanted to do it and he'd sell me the bike and also help me convert it. He and I do that sort of stuff at work anyway so accomplishing it would not be difficult at all.
I told him...not yet. Let me get used to 50mpg first...then maybe we'll hop it up some later or just get another one for playing around with it.

That would be a nice fun project to get into, wouldn't it. But not on my primary commuting vehicle. Another *maybe* project for later when I retire and decide I will do what I want to do rather than what others want me to do.....:D :D :D

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Brian7 I understand your concern but I wonder what laws you would like to see that don't already exist...

If you cause an accident due to inattentive driving you get cited... If you don't look in control and a traffic cop sees you you and be cited and if you kill somebody due to inattentive driving you will get your ass sued off and probably spend time in jail...

What we need is effective enforcement, citizens behaving consistently better, proper education of our young about personal responsibility, and a heightened sense of belonging and responsibility to the community... I think this "selfish", "me first", "screw you all" attitude in America is not a good thing.. However I know that no new laws will ever fix it..

Sorry Brian7--- none of this rant is slung at you personally

I do understand your frustration..I think many of us are similarly minded

1 - 20 of 20 Posts