Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my new smart as I've said before. I don't like the appearance of the antenna, but I replaced the antenna with a stubby on my other smart and the reception sucked. Is there a (god this sounds wussy) short fashionable antenna that gets good reception or at least as good as the oem antenna? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Remove antenna entirely, cover hole with black tape, use USB to play your music, i have a big and organized music collection and have chosen specific types of music for my smart, car looks better without an antenna as well.

·
Banned
41 Posts
I cut off the rubber top cover on the antenna very carefully with a razor blade around the bottom edge where it meets the antenna. I then pulled it off. I then cut the antenna to it's desired length and super glued the rubber antenna cap back on and it looks 100% stock..Radio still works great to. Here is photo of it.

·
He's not mine
9,611 Posts
Thumb drive with mp3 collection connected to my head unit. I honestly have no complaints about my Dodge Avenger antenna ... I can't recall the last time I listened to radio in my car. Maybe it works OK. I wouldn't know.

Jezzzz, so far this thread is bad news for broadcasters.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ok, so I read all the suggestions to ignore the radio and use an MP3 player instead. And I do, sometimes.

But....I've had my 2008 smart (radio 10) since July. I love, love, love it. However, I *like* to listen to the radio now and then. My biggest complaint is that although it picks up FM just fine, the AM reception stinks. I can only pick up the local AM station when it's raining and/or cloudy. (Maybe the signal is bouncing off clouds??) Oddly enough, I can sometimes pick up an AM station 100 miles away with no problem.

So...my question is this: is the crappy reception due to the radio or due to the antenna? And if it's the antenna...how do I know what to replace it with?

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
A couple of factors which many I'm sure will chime in, the smart radio is not a good radio. The AM sound is distorted and that is especially evident on talk shows or news broadcasts. The standard electronic antenna is pretty good.
When we lived in NY the reception was fluctuating considerably because of reflecting signals and hills and dales. It was always a challenge. If I lived up there now I would be curious what an HD radio would receive because such radios need much more signal.
We are in FL with flat land and no mountains to restrict reception.
As for a better radio...well that's a good question. Try asking around where radios are installed and if several shops recommend the same radio you may have a winner.
I always listen to the radio so I'm up to date. CD's or streaming get's repetitive after a while, at least for me.

·
17,379 Posts
AM is not a big thing in smart's homeland, hence why the radio doesn't handle AM adequately.

·
Premium Member
7,616 Posts
So...my question is this: is the crappy reception due to the radio or due to the antenna?
Crappy radio 10 from Europe where as Neon points out, AM radio died years ago.

MP3 input is processed out with full range, FM is shallow and AM is flat.

New door speakers will help a little but only a new head will improve your AM Talk Radio.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
17,379 Posts
Indeed. Granted the Entryline and Highline radios in the facelifted 451s (2011-) do a better job at AM, they still suck at it.

The best way to get good AM is to get a whole new headunit...

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thumb drive with mp3 collection connected to my head unit. I honestly have no complaints about my Dodge Avenger antenna ... I can't recall the last time I listened to radio in my car. Maybe it works OK. I wouldn't know.

Jezzzz, so far this thread is bad news for broadcasters.
Almost ditto here. $6 bucks at the Chrysler dealer not 500 feet from my house, almost a year ago. I love the Avenger stubby! It looks super on the Smart, AND no issues with my car cover. Only 12.5 seconds to install. I find reception here is great, no issues. But then I have the Sony Tune Tray head now and I do 50% ipod, 50% FM. So maybe it IS the Smart head sucks.

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
...my reception went down with the "stubby" antenna...come to find out that the rubber outer shield of the stubby was longer than OEM preventing the center core from making good contact when fully screwed in...a little trim of the base fixed the issue...

Jetfuel...radio 10

1 - 15 of 15 Posts