Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can replace the antenna improve an AM radio reception? Any suggestion on the aftermarket antennas?

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
There is an amplifier on the antenna under the dash. That may be the problem, or it could be a poor connection at the antenna base. When I had to remove the front end on my smart, I found the antenna was cross threaded into the base and it broke off. Replacing the antenna base and mast did improve the reception on my stock radio.

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
Might want to check out Crutchfield, or Best Buy. For a car radio Antenna amplify. The smart car, antenna supplies reception for both, AM/FM. Check your antenna connection, into the rear of the radio. AM radio, is what it is. Just poor.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,782 Posts
Can replace the antenna improve an AM radio reception? Any suggestion on the aftermarket antennas?
Did you ever have a crystal radio back in the day?

Mine had better AM reception than the smart "highline" radio.

Sadly unless your antenna amplifier has died, the only remedy is to move on to better things as the OEM radio and the door speakers are simply two tin cans and a string . . .

·
Registered
1,594 Posts

Sure did - more than one! We lived very near a powerful AM station antenna. You could just about get the signal through your teeth. Signal was so strong I could even hear the station on an antique speaker I hooked up to the crystal radio output. The crystal radio was not battery boosted either!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Sadly unless your antenna amplifier has died, the only remedy is to move on to better things as the OEM radio and the door speakers are simply two tin cans and a string . . .

any brand/ model you suggest for replacing the receiver and speakers? Thanks and have a nice weekend!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts