Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just curious if any owners have tried a K & N air filter or aftermarket larger exhaust system? anything out there to increase power and mileage?

·
Registered
81 Posts
i really don't notice much noise until you are really reving it (it reminds me of a benelli sportbike growl - also a three cylinder). as to the cold air, just to the left of the filter is an outside duct.

regards,

ken

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
I have had the K&N air filter on my smart for about 18 months. Hard to tell if it made any performance improvements, but I like having a reusable lifetime air filter.

Tom

·
Registered
92 Posts
I initially ran a K&N filter on my 450 after I bought the car. I don't know what the exact bhp increase was but there was a noticeable feel in the torque.

I recently did a major transformation (roadster turbo, janspeed exhaust, venom induction and remap) and am no longer in need of it. If you are interested I can sell you the one I have for $20. It was used for about 5000 miles.

I also have a brabus sport exhaust available if interested. Adds 5bhp. Used for about 5000 miles as well. More power, a bit louder than the stock exhaust but sound nice.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Do we not have in the USA an air filter, other than stock, to fit in the 451's air box with the lid clamped down? Part #/Item # ? I've seen on the Evilution site a replaceable air filter that fitted perfectly. Do we know of one here in the US of A that will fit?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Yea SC portland has direct fit [email protected] filter for the 451 in stock. it makes a difference power and mileage wise. one customer got 42.5 mpg per tank on combined high way and in town driving. the same customer got 38 mpg combined driving like a crazy man (really he is nuts, rides his smart car hard)

·
Super Moderator
29,358 Posts
Part #?

Just checked the K&N site; no filter part # shown for the USA 1 liter engine (they do show a round filter for the 1 liter turbo engine.) :confused:

·
Registered
55 Posts
jwight

Just checked the K&N site; no filter part # shown for the USA 1 liter engine (they do show a round filter for the 1 liter turbo engine.) :confused:
I found a K & N part # for the 451. It's E-9257 for the turbo motor if you could get one!!! I did find a number for the 06 smart forfour, 33-2881. It may work for the 08 smart fortwo!! AutoZone can order it for around $40.00. I've used K & N filters on all my vehicles. You can't beat them. I may order one before my passion gets here!!

·
Super Moderator
29,358 Posts
I found a K & N part # for the 451. It's E-9257 for the turbo motor if you could get one!!! I did find a number for the 06 smart forfour, 33-2881. It may work for the 08 smart fortwo!! AutoZone can order it for around $40.00. I've used K & N filters on all my vehicles. You can't beat them. I may order one before my passion gets here!!
Yeah, that's the round one:

E-9257 Product Specifications
Product Style: Round Air Filter
Height: 5.5 in (140 mm)
Inner Wire: No
Inside Diameter: 2 in (51 mm)
Outside Diameter: 3.5 in (89 mm)

·
Registered
452 Posts
I did find a number for the 06 smart forfour, 33-2881. It may work for the 08 smart fortwo!!/quote]

I don't think so. BMC makes a filter for the US 451. Its thought to be superior to a K & N (BMC supplies numerous Formula 1 and prototype racing teams, and K & N supplies none) but the cost is about $100.

BMC's website shows the US fortwo filter as 265mm long and 109mm wide. K & N shows the 33-2881 as being 247mm x 117mm.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts