Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With 2008 so close I would think that we would start to see some sine of a Smart dealership going up somewhere, even if they are in with another dealership like MB. The cat has got to come out of the bag soon, they are running out of time to keep the lid on where dealerships are going to be.
Glen

·
Registered
931 Posts
Think about this. All early cars are pre-sold. Therefore it's more important for them to have a small space initially for deliveries as well as a service area. As time progresses they will have the need for the 2000 square feet of showroom, but not until late 2008.

·
Registered
517 Posts
The Twin Cities dealership is supposed to open January 1st (tentatively); they've bought (?) a defunct (?) car dealer's building. No idea if it's a tear-down or a modification - I don't live in that area so I don't know exactly where it is.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Checkered Flag Motors, Virginia Beach, VA is building an all new smart facility. I haven't had a chance to go down to see it yet (50 miles), but have been invited by CFM to do so. It is to be completed before JAN 08. Maybe of some significance is that CFM is a big, independant, multi-brand dealership (not M-B) with seven existing showrooms (some quite large), yet they are opting to build an eighth from scratch vice making corner room in an existing building.

·
Smartmadness.com
1,216 Posts
Mecedes Benz of Buchead in Atlanta, Ga just had their contracted constuction workers view the property and has designated a space within the dealership to host a SMART area kind of like Scion within a Toyota Dealership. They said it will be ready by Jan 2008 with 1 SMART Vehicle in the show room later in Jan to view / possibly a full scale model verson.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Intersecting guys. We should see something happing soon; there are things to be done like signs to order from Sign Company

·
Registered
570 Posts
Their is a foundation and lots of construction at my local dealer. Its just down the street from an MB dealer and the property and building are small, so it seems service will be done at MB itself.

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
They had broken ground for the Louisville dealership in early September; I haven't been by since. I think its time to pay the site I visit, with camera of course!

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
They had broken ground for the Louisville dealership in early September; I haven't been by since. I think its time to pay the site I visit, with camera of course!
here's a couple pics via my camera phone from earlier in the week.

Seems to have the characteristic smartcenter shape. Not terribly big, wonder how much "service" they will do there?

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
If the MB dealers set it up like BMW with Mini, the building will be showroom and sales only. Service would be performed at the MB service area. But then how big of a service area do you need :)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Catena is simply devoting a corner of their MB dealership showroom to the Smart so all it will be is some signage which can go up pretty quickly I suppose.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Some earlier press info had it that only M-B showrooms could make space for smarts in the same building. All others (and probably by extension M-B dealers with additional non-M-B showrooms) have to build separate facilities (smart Centers). PAG will not allow smarts to be placed in with Hondas or Chevys or whatever.

I'll be down in VA Beach sometime this week to talk to the smart people and to take a look-see at the smart Center (Checkered Flag Motors does not sell M-B).

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
fishrdnc

That is exactly what the "Classic Auto of Round Rock" told me. The have not broken ground yet on the PAG compliant Smart Center across I35 from their Toyota, Honda, Scion sales areas. The sales rep I spoke with was a bit concerned that PAG specifically prohibits co mingling the Smart with their other brands. Especially since their sales areas are very large with internet caf

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Checkered Flag Motors/smart Center VaB

I paid a visit to Checkered Flag Motors and the smart Center in Virginia Beach, VA this morning. A little good news and a little bad news and a lot of no news in between. The good news is that they intend to build a smart Tower, but maybe not as elaborate as the Euro ones. The bad (late breaking) news is that construction is lagging behind and the smart Center won’t be fully completed until April ’08. Their agreement with PAG is that the stand-alone smart Center has to be fully complete before they can go into the smart business. No working out of tents or temporarily moving operations in with another non-M-B brand. Otherwise, they are as frustrated as us with the lack of information from PAG/IB/smartUSA!

They believe that presently (meaning so far) they will be handling about 250 reservations, just about their expected yearly allocation. They think that they will be given a full contact list when it is time to go, vice being individually fed and managed by IB, and have the responsibility to contact leads in order of reservation time/date. They do not have a list at present. They say that the meaning of the statements concerning being “offered” means only first-right-of-refusal for whoever is at the top of the list on an available vehicle that may not be the one they ordered. They believe that there will be some significant attrition among the reservers: first, due the sober reality that the car may not be appropriate for their intended use, and second, that many can’t wait too long to replace another car that needs to be replaced. There were a number who backed out of MINIs (which they also sell) for those reasons. The smarts will be serviced at the smart Center. SmartUSA knows that the time/date code has been broken. That’s about it for now.

[/IMG]

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
smart Center VaB

Here's a little blog blob from Checkered Flag: http://blog.checkeredflag.com/ . The outside shot is essentially as I saw it on Wednesday. I repeat though, I was then told (Wednesday) that the center wouldn't be complete until April '08 and they can't begin selling smarts until it is totally finished. Contractor delays.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Smart Center Beverly Hills

Here are some pics shot at Beverly Hills Ltd. Mercedes. They are building the smart showroom in the former lobby space of the Benz dealer. Takes up about half the frontage of the building on the left. No signs, but a salesman at the dealership confirmed that is what's going in behind the construction wall and that sales begin in January.

Also located in the building upstairs is Marvel Comics. Wow, Spiderman, the Hulk, X-Men and the Fantastic 4 together with smart!

Click to enlarge...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts