Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
I put a jumper on the battery with a 2 pin quick detach plug that I got from Harley Davidson and have it come out the carpeting near the passenger door. Normally I keep a long extension run under the seat and plug in trickle charger if I don't drive it for several days. I have come out on four occasions in the last couple of months to find a dead 12v battery (between 3-5 volts each time). Can't seem to locate what is draining the battery and it happens randomly.

Attachments

· Registered
22 Posts
Len,

It is a 2014 EV. Only has 6600 miles. Don't drive it much and now I keep a 12 V battery tender on it if I don't plan on using it for a day or two. I have panicked a few times opening the door and finding an apparently totally dead car but when I put a 15 amp charger on the battery it comes to life and the HV battery had not bricked. One 12 V battery replacement only lasted two weeks before I exchanged it after it was damaged from being drained so low. I can see a 1 amp draw from time to time but really don't hear anything turning on or off while I am next to the car. I have put split loom on a lot of the wiring to avoid the chafing issues others have had so I'm still stumped what is pulling battery down.

· Registered
22 Posts
Routing a pair of wires from the battery to the hood flap is an easy job - and provides the ability to charge a dead battery with the car locked. This is important because from what I can tell, the backup key lock on the driver's side door is not a mechanical lock - it actuates an electric solenoid (same as remote unlock) to operate the lock. So getting into the car with a dead battery is not easy. There is a rubber gland in the firewall near the steering column for routing the charging/test wires. No hole drilling is needed.
The driver door lock should be mechanical. I've been locked out several times with a dead 12V battery and had to use key to get in. I didn't bother to put the cap back on the lock since I've had to use it so many times.

· Registered
22 Posts
I don't see any phantom drain on the HV battery. I have let it sit weeks at a time without losing any appreciable charge. I leave it sitting at variable states of charge, but not below 40%. I bought it used in 2016 with 200 miles on it and have never taken it to a dealer. I have no clue what service campaigns have been done to the car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.