Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Super Moderator
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there an easy way to hook up a multi-meter to get a voltage reading on the 12v battery? I looked around and couldn't find any simple place to do it. It looks to be just as easy to tear up the passenger side floor and get the reading right off of the battery itself. I know that some of you routed wiring through to the front "hood" flap, but other than that is the battery itself the best option?

Len
2014 EV Coupe 20,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 17,500 miles

· Super Moderator
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With the ICE cars, no big deal - I'd probably wait until the battery tells me something is wrong. With the EV a huge deal because of the bricking issue and a likely repair cost twice the value of the car. I posted this in the Electric Drive forum specifically for that reason. Just had a member where a 12v battery test on his EV may have saved him $$$$. We'll post those details in a few days.

Len

· Super Moderator
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Yinzer. Were you also the one who talked about attaching a 12v battery monitor?

Len

· Super Moderator
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The problem with that unit on the electrics is that as soon as you turn the key to position 1, the contactor closes and the HV battery connects with the 12v battery. Maybe the instant you turn it on, you might get an accurate reading, but you really want a reading with the HV battery out of the picture.

Len

Reactions: MB DNA

· Super Moderator
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BDFuqua - do you have an ICE or an EV? My guess is ICE, because if the 12v battery was doing that in an EV, I think you might have a brick by now.

Len

· Super Moderator
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow - that's amazing. I'd be panicking too. I hope you have the latest service campaigns done. Some of us think that the latest one might help protect the HV against bricking. So are you also seeing a phantom drain of the charge on your HV battery if you let the car sit? If not, I wonder why the HV battery isn't trying to charge the 12v battery? Did you happen to read the thread I posted yesterday about the 12v battery issue another forum member had?

Len

· Super Moderator
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A cooperating dealer can tell you if your car has any outstanding service campaigns. All they need is the VIN. I think any Mercedes dealer can look up that info for you, but I believe that only a former Smart dealer can actually do the campaign - not positive about that. I would highly recommend that you find out and if a former Smart dealer is anywhere near you, I'd sure have it done - it's free.

Len

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.