Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I switch it to manual when I need a little extra power then quickly switch it back to auto. I do this multiple times while I drive. Is this bad for the gear box?

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Hello! I switch it to manual when I need a little extra power then quickly switch it back to auto. I do this multiple times while I drive. Is this bad for the gear box?
Not at all. Keep it up. Come up with a new shifting technique and use the new hybrid shifting style to your preferences. :nerd:

Only suggestion I would make is to tweak your idea about shifting and "extra" power. More throttle pressure with good timing can yield the exact same results. The timing, coordination, and throttle pressure may take some time to figure out to perfection though.

·
Registered
9,044 Posts
..auto mode?...what for?...the fun part of these cars is the manual mode...
...with no rev limiter and a little hair dryer pressure I run the tranny to the very edge of its limitations ...

Jetfuel...paddle shift.....waaaaaaaayyyyy too fun...

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
..auto mode?...what for?...the fun part of these cars is the manual mode...
...with no rev limiter and a little hair dryer pressure I run the tranny to the very edge of its limitations ...

Jetfuel...paddle shift.....waaaaaaaayyyyy too fun...
Good to see your still here, my friend :D

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
I always use manual. I think auto lugs the engine too much. Drive it the way you are comfortable, no damage will be done.
If you find auto 'lugs' then you are not being aggressive enough with throttle pressure. Put a little more weight on it and stay there. You don't have to floor it, but get more pressure and do not back off or else you're calling for an upshift and a return of the 'lug.' :nerd:

·
Registered
861 Posts
i have yet to ever move my shifter into manual mode. i just simply use the paddles. you can go into manual mode any time and back into auto when your little ol heart desires

1 - 13 of 13 Posts