Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,184 Posts
No, but it looks very interesting.
I've had a few dealer visits due to the airbag light on different smarts. This may have helped me to avoid one or more of them.

·
Super Moderator
11,208 Posts
looks like it would do the job, with a 1 yr warranty and specifically lists ABS, SRS, etc. And the bidirectional data transfer, I'd give it a try.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to likely take the chance and try it, but before I do I was hoping someone in the group had bought one of these before and might have some insight on how well they worked. If I do go ahead and buy one, I'll definitely post my results.

·
Super Moderator
11,208 Posts
right now I don't have the funds or the need for one but it could find it's way onto my need list if it works out. Only 50 miles from the local dealer here....

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Success with the iCarsoft i980 Scanner!

I received the scanner and it cleared the airbag light! Now the rest of the story- When I received the scanner I had to log into their website and download the 'driver' specific to Smart cars. The drop down menu didn't specifically list the Smart, but it did list Sprinter vans. The Sprinter van 'driver' is the 'driver' that appears to be applicable to our little cars. After you download the 'driver' and update the scanner, you can also register your scanner with the company. Using the scanner is similar to other OBD code readers, except this scanner has a pretty easy to follow menu that walks you through each step and you can select automatic or manual diagnostic modes. The airbag menu has both the driver and passenger airbag and seatbelt listed! Clearing the code specific to the airbag was as simple as toggling down through the menu and 'clearing' the code! Immediately after I deleted/cleared the code, the airbag light turned off! Yes, this scanner was a bit spendy, but it's well worth it since I'm so far away from a Smart Center. If you're interested in the product, their website is- www.icarsoft.us.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's the one on Amazon! If anyone else buys one please post your experiences. So far I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Success with the iCarsoft i980 Scanner!

I bought a iCarsoft i980 Scanner from Amazon and it worked fine. It cleared the SRS air bag light on my 2009 smart fortwo. I purchase it from Amazon for $129.95. Well worth the cost. My SRS indicator came on due to a low battery. I used the iCarsoft i980 Scanner to clear the error and the SRS error light extinguished simultaneously.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used my new iCarsoft i980 Scanner on a friends car last week. Her battery had gone flat and died during the winter. After I replaced the battery for her, there were two codes stored. One code was for the seatbelts and one for 'low battery'. I was able to clear both codes. So far, this scanner works great!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have my smart being shipped to the port next week in anchorage (didn't buy the pink one in town) would it be possible to check this reader out on mine when it's in town? I have big plans for my car over the next 6 months and would like to make sure it's 100% before I start the work. I sent you a
PM

Thanks
Mike K.

·
Super Moderator
11,208 Posts
can you set it up for more than one manufacturer? I'd like to get one that could work on smart/ Land Rover, Chevrolet, Chrysler...

I Appreciate you trying this out and letting us know!!

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,184 Posts
They appear to be Manufacturer specific.
I ordered one yesterday via Amazon. With three smarts and two of them modified, I'd like an option to do some self-diagnosis without relying on the dealer.
May never need it, but I see it as cheap insurance. The thing's cost is equivalent to about an hour of MB shop time.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,184 Posts
Received my i980 yesterday. The connection and update process was easy enough and the was a selection for smart. There were two different Benz choices, Sprinter and smart.
Now I just need a reason to use it. I'll probably never need it now that I have it!
By the way, it is manufacturer specific. I don't know what may happen if it gets plugged in to a different make, but I would suspect it would function as a very basic scanner if it works at all.

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,049 Posts
There's another brand scanner that works to reset your air bag light and also works with many other brands of cars, but it's a little more pricey to the tune of $299 from NAPA. It's the LAUNCH CRP129. My airbag light was on from me removing my seats to install heated seat pads. I didn't know any better and started the car to move it with the passenger seat removed and of course the air bag module is under that seat. I had the SRS light on the dash cluster on and it's over 2 hours to my nearest Smart dealer. I had been using a cheap $20 scanner to do engine code resets, but as we all know the SRS is a separate module. My nephew had the Launch and he plugged it in and it comes preloaded with Smart and is updatable by removing a little memory chip and reading it in your home computer from their website. Anyway he plugged it in and it found the SRS and reset it and it found 12 other old codes that my cheap meter never saw such as the right headlight resistance was out of spec, etc,...But he said if you buy one be sure to get it from Napa because there are China clones of the Launch meter out there that aren't nearly as good or as capable as the original one. So I'm saving up to get one of my own. I know it works first hand because I seen it work on my 2011 Smart.By the way if you remove your overhead console trim over the rear view mirror and unhook the passenger seat air bag light, it will light the SRS on the dash cluster if you have the key on any with it removed. Plugging the indicator light back in will turn off the SRS in the cluster because it's considered a soft error, but the code will still stay in the computer and will have to be cleared with a scanner.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i want to thank limoak for the info on the i980 scanner.
my airbag light came on for no apparent reason. i made a few phone calls and the cheapest place i could find was going to cost me $65.00 (parker imports in parker colorado.) Mercedes-Benz
of Denver wanted $130.00 just to hook up. (i am going to go down there late at night and piss on one of their 2017 MERCEDES-BENZ S-CLASS CABRIOLET)

anyway, i bought the icarsoft i980 scanner off of jet. (free shipping too)

https://jet.com/product/iCarsoft-Engine-Vehicle-Diagnostic-Tool-Code-Mercedez-Benz-Sprinter-Smart/c1dd4a9b09604e55bc2d6e926105601b

i received it today, unboxed it, did the updates for the smart car, and i was in business.
hooked up the unit, ran a diagnostic and found the fault. it said passenger side airbag voltage too low. dont know what that meant, but i cleared the code, light went out.

the unit is pretty nice and easy to use.
i hope this helps someone else...

THANKS AGAIN!!

smallblock

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
Well, you cleared the code - but not necessarily the fault. If it's a fault in the SRS that's bad business in the event of an accident. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
i have a feeling its due to a low dying battery.
the battery is original 2008. i tested it, 12v until crank and it drops to 8v.
replacing the battery is on the menu.

·
Premium Member
7,592 Posts
my airbag light came on for no apparent reason. i made a few phone calls and the cheapest place i could find was going to cost me $65.00 (parker imports in parker colorado.) Mercedes-Benz
of Denver wanted $130.00 just to hook up. (i am going to go down there late at night and piss on one of their 2017 MERCEDES-BENZ S-CLASS CABRIOLET)

anyway, i bought the icarsoft i980 scanner.

i received it today, unboxed it, did the updates for the smart car, and i was in business.
hooked up the unit, ran a diagnostic and found the fault. it said passenger side airbag voltage too low. dont know what that meant, but i cleared the code, light went out.
Nice, hope your late night "adventure" goes viral ....

Instead of throwing insults at your local Colorado dealer, may want to replace your 8 year old battery?

Electrical gremlins in a smart are often found to be caused by older weak batteries.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts