Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered mine sometime in the middle of September. I live in SW Michigan, I just turned 15 and the DDE says i will get mine August 2009 thru October 2009. Should I cancel and reserve again so I can get a 2010?

TOTAL SAVED: $750

lol I don't have a job yet and I have to pay for drivers ed-$250 and the money to reserve. Anyone know when I can get a job? really want one but I'm not sure if it is legal yet.

p.s. I tried looking at the laws but they are too confusing for me and I do not understand them at all.

I want to get a red w/ red interior and silver tridion, but i want the red bottom and front parts... idk what they are called oh--- Passion Cabrio. My dad says I should get that, anyone disagree? why? why not? My mom and dad AREN'T paying for it all maybe a couple thousand to help.

·
Registered
150 Posts
WOW, don't know where to start. So let me just say this. You don't need this car, its not for you. You need an older car that gets you from point A to point B. I can't see you getting a job that allows you to make a $300+/month car payment and go to school at the same time. Forget the WOW factor, forget performance, don't buy this car.

I just did a quick calc for car payments using these numbers:
Loan amount (In Dollars) $20,000
Percentage of Down Payment: 15%
Loan term: 5 years
Annual Interest Rate: 6%

calculation results:
Down Payment:$3,000.00
Amount Financed:$17,000.00
Monthly Payment:$328.66

My question is, can you handle that? Can you handle most likely another $200/month insurance payment, plus gas and upkeep. If you think you can, I got news for you...

Go buy myself a used Honda civic or accord, or a Nissan.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but sometimes life is hard. This is one of those times.

Yellow-Smart

·
Registered
841 Posts
Should I cancel and reserve again so I can get a 2010?
TOTAL SAVED: $750
I don't have a job yet.... My mom and dad AREN'T paying for it all maybe a couple thousand to help.
No need to cancel-DDE changes often
If the 'rents give the green light, go for it!
2 months driving a smart could be worth it.

·
Dont Feed The Trolls ^Mod
5,933 Posts
I normally would not agree with this, but in your situation I agree with Yellow-Smart. If your parents are not going to pay for it, then I wouldn't buy ANY new car. Im 24 and I have to consider the same things. Everyone does. But you dont have a licence, or a job, and you have the highest insurance rate you will ever have. Here is what I would do in your shoes:

Get your $99 back and reserve for an 2010. In the mean time, get you a decent clunker that is cheap to work on. I sugest a domestic 70-80's model. Get friendly with your local autozone so that when it breaks down you can get cheap parts. They also have books that show you how to work on it. This is much cheaper than going to a shop and most of the older cars are easier to work on. I didnt like it, but beig handy with a wrench saved me lots of cash.

Get a job, and your license and start saving for the down payment on your smart. By the time you are graduated, you can get it and be comfortable with it. Can I make a suggestion on a good paying 1st job? Wal-mart. I hate that company but as a first job, you can get about 8/hr and they will work with your H.S. schedule. Keep your eye on the prize and you will be rewarded. Stay on this forum and keep in it. Im sorry man, but thats how it is. I look forward to hearing from you again. If you have any questions, please ask. I wont flame you, and neither will yellow-smart for sure.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Ditto to Yellow-Smart's and jediknight36's initial posts.

Adding:

To answer your thread question: my reservation # is in the 1720 range. My DDE window is June 2009 - August 2009, that is two months shorter wait time than yours. Even with 2 more months, I would say that there is just not enough time for your (?) anticipated scenario - old enough for a full time job, save/earn enough money... - to work out.

Different states, even different cities, have slightly different employment laws regarding teen employment. A big corporation like Wal-Mart should know well.

Don't rush yourself out of school because of one car, better and cuter looking cars will definitely continue to show up in the years of your life.

·
5,933 Posts
Ditto to Yellow-Smart's and jediknight36's initial posts.

Adding:

To answer your thread question: my reservation # is in the 1720 range. My DDE window is June 2009 - August 2009, that is two months shorter wait time than yours. Even with 2 more months, I would say that there is just not enough time for your (?) anticipated scenario - old enough for a full time job, save/earn enough money... - to work out.

Different states, even different cities, have slightly different employment laws regarding teen employment. A big corporation like Wal-Mart should know well.

Don't rush yourself out of school because of one car, better and cuter looking cars will definitely continue to show up in the years of your life.

Wal-Mart will hire at 16 so it will be a year. But they still pay pretty good. Stay in school, save up. I wish there was this kind of goal for me when I was in high school.

·
Banned
4,244 Posts
:eek: 15 years old and buying a brand new car? No job and no trust fund? Parents not going to pony up? A couple of grand on a 16K car isn't really a solution, ya think?

Well, I guess I really am old school, because my first car was a 10 year old economy car, and I paid 1/2 down when I was 19. Same with both my sons - used car, 1/2 cash down payment, with parents co-signing the loan.

I never had a new car till I was in my 30's. So, yeah, I'm old school.

But when I bought my smart it truly was a happy day, because I paid cash! So, at the tender age of 52, for the first time in my life I've got a new car and NO CAR PAYMENT!! And I appreciate my little zippy all the more for how hard I worked for it.

I wish all good luck to people wanting a smart, but have to wonder about why people make a brand new car a priority over other things, especially when they are first starting out - or in the case of the OP - way before even starting out.

I always advised my sons - Don't get into debt. Period.

I think today's economy proves that being good advice.

Besides, by the time you're 17, if you work hard, save your money and get good grades, your folks might help you with a used 2008 smart!

·
Registered
221 Posts
a good economy car that is a older car, but not necessarily easy to work on, but is easy on gas and certainly has a cute factor... the Volkswagen New Beetle.

Honestly dude.. listen to me and everyone else here giving you advice. Don't go for the Smart right now. It isn't the right car. Find yourself a car within the $3k to $4k price range with decent miles. There's plenty of them out there. I'd consider foreign over American, but that's just me.

I want a Smart just as much as you do, bud, but when mine comes in, I may have to orphan it.. because the way my situation looks right now.. I don't think I can afford mine. I drive a New Beetle myself right now, and it's all I can to afford that.

I'd say my best advice for right now pal is to cancel your reservation and wait a couple years, but certainly stay on this forum.

Don't be feared for being flamed just because you're a 15 year old kid. I as well as most others on this forum are decent, working folks who have a heart, and don't have a mean bone in our bodies.

I wish you luck in whatever you do. I'm 23, and if you have any questions you are afraid of posting publicly, you are welcome to Private Message me ANYTIME and I'll gladly answer.

Ryan

·
5,933 Posts
Do these vehicles have proper seat belts?
An air bag can save your life.
Hell no they dont! Thats why they are cheaper! The smart is a much better choice, but I was safe enough in my 79 f-150 when I was in high school from 1999-2002. Did I want something else? Yes. Was I happy with transportation? Yes, until gas went up. By then, I traded up. I got my 1st car loan at 19. Then I lost my job. I got my 1st repo at 19 also, living on my own. No, its not the safesit way by today's standard but they are cheap and easy to work on and will get someone by.

My point is, by what he is telling us, the smart is not going to work out. If he can get extra cash or something, then go for it!

·
5,933 Posts
a good economy car that is a older car, but not necessarily easy to work on, but is easy on gas and certainly has a cute factor... the Volkswagen New Beetle.

Honestly dude.. listen to me and everyone else here giving you advice. Don't go for the Smart right now. It isn't the right car. Find yourself a car within the $3k to $4k price range with decent miles. There's plenty of them out there. I'd consider foreign over American, but that's just me.

I want a Smart just as much as you do, bud, but when mine comes in, I may have to orphan it.. because the way my situation looks right now.. I don't think I can afford mine. I drive a New Beetle myself right now, and it's all I can to afford that.

I'd say my best advice for right now pal is to cancel your reservation and wait a couple years, but certainly stay on this forum.

Don't be feared for being flamed just because you're a 15 year old kid. I as well as most others on this forum are decent, working folks who have a heart, and don't have a mean bone in our bodies.

I wish you luck in whatever you do. I'm 23, and if you have any questions you are afraid of posting publicly, you are welcome to Private Message me ANYTIME and I'll gladly answer.

Ryan
Not a bad idea either. Just remember to have some savings if you cant work on it. Good show!

·
Registered
221 Posts
jediknight- have you ever looked at New Beetle, from the mechanical point of view and tried to work on it yourself? You may as well forget that and pay someone to do that. Volkswagen has built the car to where the average Joe CAN'T work on the car. You have to take it to a service shop OR the dealer for repairs.. but if you do attempt repairs.. prepare to take 10x as long to do the repair job than it would take ANY OTHER CAR.

·
5,933 Posts
jediknight- have you ever looked at New Beetle, from the mechanical point of view and tried to work on it yourself? You may as well forget that and pay someone to do that. Volkswagen has built the car to where the average Joe CAN'T work on the car. You have to take it to a service shop OR the dealer for repairs.. but if you do attempt repairs.. prepare to take 10x as long to do the repair job than it would take ANY OTHER CAR.
I believe it! The original Beatles weren't easy either. Thats why Im saying either/or. A new beetle would help as far as a newer, cute car is concerned (and damn sturdy too!) but be ready to pay for the maintenance. Then again, if he gets a good one he may not need any. Both options are good, from two different backgrounds. My background is why I like to buy new. Dont have time to leave it in the shop or to fix it. So Im not arguing with you, I am agreeing with you.

If you go the beetle route, try for a diesel!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I never thought you were arguing... but I was just stating a fact about the car, and it may have come across as me thinking you were trying to argue. Sorry about that. not my intentions.

But let me say this.. the original Beetle's may not have been easy, but I bet they are a helluva lot easier to work on than the New Beetle's are.

The New Beetle is a sturdy car.. if you buy 2001 or newer. I'd shy away from 1998-2000 model years.. as those are problematic. Mine is a 1998.

I'm just lucky I have a step-dad who knows a lot about working on cars and can work on mine and save me money.

·
5,933 Posts
I never thought you were arguing... but I was just stating a fact about the car, and it may have come across as me thinking you were trying to argue. Sorry about that. not my intentions.

But let me say this.. the original Beetle's may not have been easy, but I bet they are a helluva lot easier to work on than the New Beetle's are.

The New Beetle is a sturdy car.. if you buy 2001 or newer. I'd shy away from 1998-2000 model years.. as those are problematic. Mine is a 1998.

I'm just lucky I have a step-dad who knows a lot about working on cars and can work on mine and save me money.
My bad too. Hey, I have a step-dad who knows alot about working on cars! Small world. Yea. The newer cars as a whole are harder to work on. I remember being able to get inside the engine compartment to work on it so I didnt have to lean over the bumper of my truck. Our next car after the smart will be a Vee Dub!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts