Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day a lady almost crash behind me. She was beating traffic making like 50MPH in a 30MPH zone. Good thing that her car still stopped on time. It was inches from hitting me. I was behind a 18 wheeler truck going about 20MPH.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have had a very close call on the on-ramp of the expressway near my home. It's quite common for people to literally stop on the on-ramp because it's so hard to see traffic coming down the road.

The Toyota Corolla coming up behind me did not even slow down, but swerved to the right between me and the curb. Thankfully the Smart is a "thin" vehicle. My truck might have been a bit harder to avoid.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had a very close call on the on-ramp of the expressway near my home. It's quite common for people to literally stop on the on-ramp because it's so hard to see traffic coming down the road.

The Toyota Corolla coming up behind me did not even slow down, but swerved to the right between me and the curb. Thankfully the Smart is a "thin" vehicle. My truck might have been a bit harder to avoid.

Wow! This is my biggest fear, that some one just slams behind me. I once was hit by a lady when I had a Toyota truck. Long story short, I was stopped in a red light and the lady did not even touched her brakes, she was going about 40MPH. Almost total my truck about $8,000 damage and my back was hurting for such a long time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It gets worse
Had a drunk rear end me on a city street while I stopped behind the mini van in front of me
( van was stopped to allow pedestrians to legally proceed )
totaled both vehicles
Her insurance company has refused to pay the full amount of my damages
So I went to court and got a judgement for the amount
( which is under the limits of her policy )
They now refuse to pay that, saying she is not insured for judgements
no joy

·
Registered
646 Posts
You have to get the judgement against her, not her insurance company.

And why isn't YOUR insurance company handling this? They should cover you with your own coverage and only charge you the deductible, then reimburse you the deductible when her insurance (or the driver herself) pays them.

·
Registered
465 Posts
In Canada we have no fault insurance. Guaranteed payout for the victim and all insured parties. The insurance companies take care of any lawsuits.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I consider myself fortunate. I've only been in minor accidents, even when riding with others. The close call was just that, close.

In 1999 I was the last car in a 4-vehicle chain reaction. A barely-legal, 16 year-old, in his dad's Lexus plowed into a Honda Civic, which rolled into the Jeep Grand Cherokee that bumped me. I felt bad for the Honda owner because he'd only just driven away from the body shop where his Civic had been repaired from the last accident. I was nudged by the tow hitch on the front of the Jeep, which took an eraserhead-worth of rubber out of my all-rubber bumper. I did not make a claim. :cool:

In 2000, I was driving on the 280 Freeway through San Jose when the traffic ahead of me came to an abrupt halt. I had two seconds to decided to slam on my brakes or jump into the #2 lane. I went right. The car behind me and the 3 behind him, all slammed into the car that had stopped previously in front of me. Later that day I found out that I had narrowly missed a large multi-car pile up. :D

In 2003, I was driving North on the 880 Freeway through San Lorenzo when the delivery truck, two vehicles ahead, lost an entire oven from the back. The oven did not bounce, it stuck in the pavement and the very highly raised pickup truck ahead of me actually managed to clear the thing. He may have scraped his rear axle, but he still went over it. I, having seen this happening, diverted to the lane to my right. The car behind me put his Emergency lights on and halted. It was so surreal. :eek:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Just got pushed out of the way AGAIN this morning as we were getting on the freeway. The a$$hole in his POS truck just came up and pinched us out. We had to drive off over the white line until he passed. The jackass would not even look at me as he passed.

I am going to have a sticker made that says something like "If you feel the need to push me around, then lets PULL OVER A$$HOLE!".

·
Registered
536 Posts
I had a late 80's Buick rear end me while at a stop light... The insurance co ended up paying almost 4k in damages to my car plus they gave me some money for me since they were at fault...

·
17,345 Posts
While close calls (or road rage) aren't a common occurrence for me, they do happen once every blue moon. My closest call was a few weeks ago.

I pulled out onto a freeway on ramp and was nearing the end at about 55 mph. I checked my rearview mirror and noticed that a set of headlights that were just at the light at the beginning of the ramp were now right behind me and closing in...FAST...

Now this ramp was a single lane ramp with a tiny shoulder, and I wasn't even close to the merging point...so there was no reason for this vehicle to be approaching me at the rate it did...

Right before impact he went full high beams...That's when I realized that whoever this guy was didn't plan on slowing down so I hit the kickdown switch and jerked the wheel left.

I crossed a rocky divider into the traffic lanes, luckily there weren't any other cars nearby.

The truck roared down the place I just occupied, horn blaring, bird out the window, and smoke billowing from its stacks.

Of course, being a truck (a poorly modified one at that) meant that he couldn't make a getaway. I caught up to the little low level life form and took down their plate.

I happily reported it to Police a minute later.

Sadly, being Illinois, I know absolutely nothing came from my report. They have better things to do, like stop cars going 1 mph over the limit.

·
Registered
465 Posts
No issues in the Smart yet. Only a few rude drivers. However, about ten years ago in my VW Golf, I was run off the road by a tractor trailer who was oncoming and swerved into my lane. I swerved to miss, spun out, and hit a telephone pole at about 90 Km/hr (56mph). I had a few cracked ribs and a collapsed lung - the truck driver fled the scene.

It was a rather painful experience, but I survived. Had there been a passenger, they would've died as the telephone pole cut through the passenger side door -almost cutting the car in half.

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
...I've been to many smart gatherings...met a whole lot of the inmates that roam the halls here in the asylum and let me tell you...a scary situation starts early in the morning when they look at the mirror......

Jetfuel....included....

·
Registered
19 Posts
I need to get a dashcam already. It will not help me avoid an accident, but at least the footage may help prove what exactly happened.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I need to get a dashcam already. It will not help me avoid an accident, but at least the footage may help prove what exactly happened.
Smart move. Be sure to get one that has two cameras, one pointed forward and one out the back. Seems like most Smart car issues involve rear end collisions more often than not.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts