Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I've finished setting up our ScanGauge ll for our Smart a couple of days ago, and am now wondering if anyone knows any Smart specific settings for the XGauge function? I know how to set those parameters that the ScanGauge already reports as gauges but am wondering if there are any Smart specific new settings?

The setup I used is: cutoff to 15 (TPS at idle is 13-14), tank size to 8, engine to 1 liter and color to Red 3, Green 1, Blue 0.

We are having a blast with this car!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
I was thinking about buying a ScanGauge II. I want to know what you think of it. I was going to use it to try and get better fuel mileage by use of the tackometer and fuel usage features. Could this unit fit my needs? What read outs can you get off your smart?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Milkman,
Sorry about not responding earlier but I've been gone. We love our Scangauge II. The readouts include:fuel system loop status (when O2 sensor is controlling mixture),cost of fuel per mile,Intake-air-temp,water temp, gallons/hr,ignition timing,engine loading,miles /gallon (instantaneous or average), miles per hour, manifold absolute pressure, RPM, throttle position setting and battery voltage. On a trip basis it gives: maximum speed,max coolant temp,max engine RPM, aver speed, aver fuel economy,trip miles,trip time elapsed,trip fuel used,trip fuel cost. Tank and Current Day info shows fuel used since last fill-up, fuel remaining, distance since last fill-up, dist remaining until empty, time driven since last fill-up, time remaining until empty. These trip and day readings can be setup as gauges using the xgauge function. The scangauge also reads any error codes that may occur. One sets the scangauge for 1 liter engine, 8 gallon gas tan (so you never run out) and the correct cutoff.

We find it really helpful and very informative. I definitely think it helps us be aware of our driving habits and how we can change them to get better gas milage, without negatively affecting our enjoyment.

·
Registered
2 Posts
jagzoo,

So it give a current (instantaneous) engine RPM and a current miles per gallion, Right? Can these be listed on the read out at the same time? Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yes,
you can have up to four different readings displayed at the same time. I am currently using "current mpg" only, in this setting it will give you a more accurate feedback, in real time (mo)
In the other setting where you can use four different readings at the same time the mpg tends to fluctuate too much.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Please help, i am trying to amass codes for the ScanGuage II xGuage features that work specifically for the SmartCar. I am currently looking for a Distance to Empty code. To help this process i thought i would volunteer a couple of codes that i am currently using:

HorsePower:

TXD=00, RXF=4000800000000, RXD=0000
MTH=000A00170000, NAM=HP. Don't forget to SAVE.

Average Fuel economy

TXD=04, RXF=8000000000000, RXD=0000
MTH=000000000000, NAM=AMG. Don't forget to SAVE

some other codes i have found online but not sure they work very well on the SmartCar:

Average Speed Current Trip
TXD=71, RXF=8000000000000, RXD=0000
MTH=000000000000, NAM=AVS. Don't forget to SAVE.

Time to Empty
TXD=64, RXF=8000000000000, RXD=0000
MTH=000000000000, NAM=TTE. Don't forget to SAVE.

Fuel remaining in tank
TXD=24, RXF=8000000000000, RXD=0000
MTH=000000000000, NAM=FRT. Don't forget to SAVE.

Fuel Used
TXD=14, RXF=8000000000000, RXD=0000
MTH=000000000000, NAM=FUS. Don't forget to SAVE.

Time for todays trip
TXD=51, RXF=8000000000000, RXD=0000
MTH=000000000000, NAM=TDT. Don't forget to SAVE.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Just got a new Scangaguge thanks to an SCOA member selling it to me. My old one that is in my other car doesn't have the XGauge.

I'm just doing the Tank Average on my main screen as I used to cycle through all the screens to get it. So now I have:

TAV (tank average MPG) FiA (air intake temp)
MPG (instant MPG) fWT (the water temp)

Now here's something I LOVE about the Scangauge. Last week I had to loan my car to my kid as her car bit the dust. I was able to find out how she was driving it by looking at the day's history. I found out she never went over 65mph or 3350rpms and her average speed was within reason. All of my wife's co-workers tried to get me wound up and said they saw her racing at lights and I explained to them I had all that monitored - now they don't think I'm nuts, apparently it is confirmed. :) Just another nice feature the Scangauge has that I like. Normally I net about 2mpg better because it helps me think about how I'm driving. I know because I have two identical cars and drove one without a Scangauge for 7k miles and got 41mpg and my other car that I put that first 7k miles on too I got 43-44mpg - on top of that I was using A/C a lot more back then.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Scangauge Pricing.....?

Can someone comment on where they found the least expensive supplier for the Scanguage please, and where/how they installed it in the smart car?.....Many thanks!
Vibrato

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
jagzoo,

So it give a current (instantaneous) engine RPM and a current miles per gallion, Right? Can these be listed on the read out at the same time? Thanks for your input.
The ScanGauge does NOT give instantaneous engine RPM readings!!! The reading that it gives is an AVERAGE of the last few seconds!! Still valuable information, but it DOESN'T replace a tachometer!! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts