Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife & I are tent campers but usually hauled everything in a Nissan Xterra, we need ideas on new gear that's small. One problem is the wife's bad hips which preclude sleeping on the ground. Eventually there's a hitch and small trailer in the works but I'd like to go camping now. One good thing, we do have 2 smarts to cart stuff in.

·
Registered
284 Posts
an inflatable bed mattress squashes down really small, and usually comes with its own inflating unit. we've got a queen size, and a 3 person tent, and everything fits well.

HTH

Jill

·
Registered
618 Posts
I used to be a backpacker and am currently a motorcycle camper, so that's where I get a lot of my gear. Works well for a smart too. I'd say +1 on the air mattress though. It may be a little heavy and bulky, but worth it's weight in gold to this old camper. On the bike I take my $1.50 wally world pool float, but I have a full sized Coleman mattress when I'm camping out of the smart. I get a lot of my gear locally, but online, I like REI and Cabela's.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,971 Posts
We tent camp and use an air mattress and have a battery operated pump for it. The mattress folds up small. Duffle bags for clothing. I condense food down into the smallest containers possible and only take what we have to have for cooking, 1 skillet, 1 sauce pan. It's like going back packing only in your smart, the smart holds more than a back pack. :D
We have a larger tent and I can set up one our folding chairs in it to help when it comes to getting ready in the morning.

We do have a hitch and small motorcycle trailer that we purchased from Harbor Freight. We've used it when going camping. Since we take our dog with us it helps to have the trailer. With your 2nd smart you could probably get everything in the 2 of them.

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
Camping is like fish. You expand to fill the space you have

This trailer has helped us quite a bit.

We also use it behind the Versa when the full family goes camping

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
Moved here since we had a "Recreation" sub-forum, though it has been hidden for a while... Seems more appropriate. :wink:

·
Super Moderator
11,297 Posts
After years of being able to sleep on a rock (so to speak) we opted for a small pop-up camper on our last outing. we rented a smaller one, and it was so much better than being in a tent that I think my tent days are over. I did pick up one of those oversized cots from Cabelas as they are never quite long enough and it is nice too. I don't think it will fit in the smart with 2 people in there, so I am thinking a trailer is in the future. Got a trailer left over from my Goldwing, just need the hitch.

A buddy had one of those time out campers behind his Harley and it was a great setup in such a small package. Biggest bed I ever saw in a motorcycle trailer.

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
I remember camping with my parents. When we went to Disney World (pre-Epoch), we camped in the camping ground. It was a lot of fun. It was a big tent and it took awhile to put up and take down.

I camped when I was a Boy Scout and I have memories (some good, some bad) of the experience.

Coleman (which has a lot of camping equipement) has a fifteen minute tent.

I think the air mattress is a good idea.

·
Registered
100 Posts
We just got back from Island in the sky,in out 09 Passion.Had to do it at least one time.Two folding chairs,2 pillows,2 man tent,air mattress,12 volt refrig,single burner stove2 sleeping bags,and cloths bag,all fit with tail gate open,and several bungy coards.
Cloths bag resting on gear shift,or ref. plugged in think gave us an engin lite.Called Lindon they said if it isn't blinking,it isn't broke yet.Lite went out on the way home,so must be fixed.The refg. wasn't plugged in on the way home.
The camp gear is all for sale,100.00 bucks takes all plus a small tent and 2 sleeping pads,never used.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Nats

Forgot to mention them.also,we had 2 small stryrofome coolers for the kitchen stuff. Only 12 sites there,get early and you are in.We did the dome a couple years ago,just romed around this time.Don't know why the nats,out hikeing not much of a thing.Oh,we did take alot of water,but in mid 60s,plan to stick to the camper.But it can be done,camping in a SMART.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Camping is like fish. You expand to fill the space you have

This trailer has helped us quite a bit.

We also use it behind the Versa when the full family goes camping
Expanding isn't the problem, we've got gear from when we camped as a family, 10'x20' tent, 10'x20' tarp w/poles, queen sized 18" tall air bed, chuck box, gear box.... you get the idea. We need to downsize. We have a 10'x10' square dome but even that isn't small.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I really need a trailer though, I've got 2 kayaks I need to haul around. A permanent mounted box isn't feasable, I need to build a rack to carry the boats more than a box for camping gear. My boats are less than 10' long so even they are small.

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
Sylvan Sport

I really need a trailer though, I've got 2 kayaks I need to haul around. A permanent mounted box isn't feasable, I need to build a rack to carry the boats more than a box for camping gear. My boats are less than 10' long so even they are small.
The Sylvan Sport might be a good camper gear trailer for your needs.

:cool: It is too heavy for a Smart but can be towed by other small (bigger than the Smart) cars. :cool:

·
Registered
948 Posts
Going basic...

Let me see...
Pup tent - size of shoebox
sleeping bag - football
Esbit stove - size of two decks of cards
MRE's / ramen / pan - deflated soccer ball
Camelback full of water - football sized
Ground pad - roll of foam, biggest item... getting old and creaky
Two or three space blankets - file folder size, used under tent, over tent, or in tent...

Do you need anything else? Flashlight, entrenching tool, personal items....
Takes up less than half the trunk, one layer...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts