Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing the research right now on the Brit sites trying to see all the combinations of rims, tires, and progressive rate springs needed to make the Smart behave better when pushed a little (ok more then a little ;))

Any one else doing the same....perhaps we need to share info

I find much of the info on www.onsmart.co.uk/ to be well worth sifting through

Along with all the good advice from the main folks at www.smartmania.co.uk/

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
I have an associate in Germany who gave me a business card of a Smart dealer in Germany. I just sent him an email asking about his ability to sell and ship overseas. If he comes back to me I'm going to ask for pricing in euros for the 5 and 6 spoke alloy wheels as well as the Brabus rims. Definitely would like to get 175's on the front and 215's or 225's on the back.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Based on the fact that the pics from the San Francisco smart center show shelves of accessories including wheels and that the smart house in venice displays Brabus wheels you can bet our dealers will offer goodies.
:cool:

·
Registered
499 Posts
Evilution has the specs on the 3 to 5 lug adaptors they use the Mercedes 5 lug pattern. So you could use just about any wheel that would fit the Mercedes. I'm going to get the widest I can run inside some aftermarket fenders. And lowered suspension. There are several for the 450. won't be long before they have them for the 451. Probably before we get the first cars here.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have an associate in Germany who gave me a business card of a Smart dealer in Germany. I just sent him an email asking about his ability to sell and ship overseas. If he comes back to me I'm going to ask for pricing in euros for the 5 and 6 spoke alloy wheels as well as the Brabus rims. Definitely would like to get 175's on the front and 215's or 225's on the back.
I'm interested in the roadster wheels myself. Let us know. about the costs.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Imitation Minilites

For the Walter Mittys, Compomotive (UK) supplies imitation Minilites in the three-bolt smart pattern.

Personally, I am not that much interested anymore, and a little dulled by recently clearing out of the garage a full set of real mounted Minilites to make smart room (While I still have plenty of time!).

·
Registered
973 Posts
Wheels

Has anyone found any Canadian dealers or aftermarket companies selling a variety of wheels that will fit the 451s?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Check with Fast Eddy

There's a Canadian dealership called Flying Tiger Development that specializes in making cars go faster, and has all kinds of mods for Smart Cars including wheels and specials on tires and even steel wheels and hubcaps from time to time. He can be found at "www.flyingtiger.ca". He also posts regularly in the 'self-promotion' area of Club Smart Car, the Canadian equivalent of this website where there's a wealth of information since they've been around longer.

His stuff is not always easy to locat prices on, but he's great about responding to private messages and e-mails.

I've run into one dead-end after another contacting American companies and all I was looking for was winter tires. They all said they were waiting for the cars to be delivered to ramp up.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Wheel Dope

For those who may go shopping for after-market, 3-bolt, gucci wheels, here are some numbers:

Pitch Circle Diameter (bolt hole circle): 112.5mm

Offset (faying surface of wheel to center of wheel): Front – 29mm; Rear – 1mm (one). That is why a front will fit on the rear, but a rear won't fit on the front in a pinch.

Applies to 450 and 451.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
fishrdnc

My research is turning up some bad news... it looks like on Welsmart, SmartsRus, and a few other sites, the wheel offsets for the 451 are very different form the 450... For the 451 series the very limited selection of rims has ET34 or ET37 as the offset listed... Your note about -29 and -1 is correct for the 450 series....

I have not sent a request for info yet still checking internet sources

May drop a question to some of the Brit sites this weekend

Another thing I have not seen is tire diameter concerns...I can not find how the vehicle speed is derived.... tone rings, tranny gears, ??? or how it is calibrated for larger or smaller diameter tires

Tire diameter changes on these electronic cars can have some adverse effects if not calibrated back to actual revs per mile... I am talking the speedo, power management, ESP, tire pressure calculations etc....

When I poke in the range of different tire sizes in a revs per mile calculator the tires Welsmart or SmartsRus recommends have a broad range of revs per mile changed significantly from the factory tire specs...

Still a bunch of research to do... I find it odd that evilution does not have any speedometer re-calibration info

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
I guess is you stick to the OEM 451 Pulse and Brabus wheels, or the other wheels listed in the 2007 smart accessory brochure, things should go right right out of the box. It might take third parties some time to catch up.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I received the following from Tirerack on some nice looking and correctly made wheels for the 451:

"We will be carrying 1 wheel option for the Smart Cars, the Rial Le mans at $129/wheel and these will be available on 12/07/07. Please go to our website to view this wheel":

http://www.tirerack.com

the wheel has the following dimensions:

15x5 3x112 bolt pattern +24 offset front

15x6 3x112 bolt pattern +25 offset rear

Please contact me at 800-428-8355 ext 697 for any questions and to place your order. Brock Camarata

Alas, they don't have them in a 17, but I do like the wheel.

Smarticus

1 - 20 of 24 Posts