Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a Ham (KE6VUP) and I'm trying to figure out how to install an antenna on a Smart cabrio. Maybe a mount on the side of the tridon cell? I have the 1216 reservation #, so I know it will be a while till I even get the car. Any of you lucky Europeans or Canucks:) have any ideas? Pictures of the area around the top of the cell area with the top down would help.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
I am a Ham (KE6VUP) and I'm trying to figure out how to install an antenna on a Smart cabrio. Maybe a mount on the side of the tridon cell? I have the 1216 reservation #, so I know it will be a while till I even get the car. Any of you lucky Europeans or Canucks:) have any ideas? Pictures of the area around the top of the cell area with the top down would help.
Please explain to me the reason for a HAM rig in a car. I'm really curious.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Not a HAM, but I do maintain a GMDSS R/O's license. So, my best guess to keep in long range comms (MF) with the other smart HAMs is to fly about 500ft of aerial wire held aloft by a big balloon. But not so big a balloon that it lifts the smart too far off the ground! Gonn'a need to keep a ground.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Please explain to me the reason for a HAM rig in a car. I'm really curious.
A ham radio is for talking to other ham radio operators. To increase your range, the bigger the antenna you use the better. Another way to increase the range is to have a ground plane. On my Ford Explorer, I have two antennas on the roof. The top of the truck is the ground plane. Any flat piece of metal under the antenna will help bring in a better signal. The bigger the plane, the better. I could actually put a large cookie pan (from the oven. Really!) on the inside of the soft top and put a magnetic mount antenna on the roof. The magnet would hold the pan up on the ceiling through the fabric. And it would work... until I want to put the top down.
If I could mount the antenna on the side of the tridon cell with the antenna pointing up, I would get some ground pane from the roll bar over the top. Not much, but some.
I work with RACES (Radio Amateur Civil Emergency Service) and would like to have a ham radio in the Smart if I happen to be in the car when something bad happens (like the last five days here in San Diego County - 500,000 homes evacuated by last Tueday).
Even the plastic top (of the other models) would not work as a ground plane.
I have two radios in the Exlporer right now. One in the Smart would be great.
Just checking my options. Maybe someone else has found a workaround?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm KU5M, and have similar concerns. I'm thinking there may be a way to use one of the latest trunk mounts, assuming the safety cell is accessible to use. It may be that attachment to the cell's door area would handle your needs. I'm assuming you are talking about UHF or VHF, and not HF antennas. For an HF antenna, mounting it off the side of the cell may be your only option. (Unless you can drill through the rear bumper fascia to reach ground and a strong enough support.) Good luck and 73.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm KU5M, and have similar concerns. I'm thinking there may be a way to use one of the latest trunk mounts, assuming the safety cell is accessible to use. It may be that attachment to the cell's door area would handle your needs. I'm assuming you are talking about UHF or VHF, and not HF antennas. For an HF antenna, mounting it off the side of the cell may be your only option. (Unless you can drill through the rear bumper fascia to reach ground and a strong enough support.) Good luck and 73.
Thanks joefoto! UHF and VHF only.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I plan on using the Larsen Kulglass mount dual band antenna.

Kulglass™ Series High Performance Glass Mount Antennas
Larsen’s Kulglass™ series uses a patented low impedance design and advanced materials to produce the world’s best on-glass antenna.
The KG uses advanced resin polymer plastic to completely enclose the circuit board or loading coil for mechanical durability
and weather resistance. 3M™s best adhesive tape, plus Larsen’s unique bonding enhancer ensure the best possible grip to the glass.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I plan on using the Larsen Kulglass mount dual band antenna.

Kulglassâ„¢ Series High Performance Glass Mount Antennas
Larsen’s Kulglass™ series uses a patented low impedance design and advanced materials to produce the world’s best on-glass antenna.
The KG uses advanced resin polymer plastic to completely enclose the circuit board or loading coil for mechanical durability
and weather resistance. 3M™s best adhesive tape, plus Larsen’s unique bonding enhancer ensure the best possible grip to the glass.
Are you going to put it on the windshield? This would work, but only on the windshield of the Cabrio.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Are you going to put it on the windshield? This would work, but only on the windshield of the Cabrio.
Yes, I have placed one on the Honda windshield before, because I couldn't find a decent monting place for a trunk lip mount. Actually it was the K-600 Diamond mount and the lip on the trunk was beveled slightly causing the mount to stick up.

Got to make sure the window antenna clears the wipers though.

·
Registered
175 Posts
good to see there are others out there

I am W4QNW and back in 01 02 03 I mounted a large magnetic base to the side cell and had a 20m ham stick antenna.

it worked well but in the end it was more of a distraction than i needed.

It was the first smart in the states so you can imagin how much time i had left for hamming after trying to answer questions like

is dat won of dem lectric hibids??
(that was while i was filling up at the pump)

good luck and keep in touch with what you decided to do.

chuck

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Chuck.
I'll post actual pictures.... first gotta get the car!:)
2 meter/440 antenna can be small.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
KD5NCO (good in QRZ) here. I intend to install a VHF/UHF rig. I really like the very small form factor of the new Yaesu FTM-10R. I think a micro sized transceiver in the micro car might be in keeping with the teeny tiny buy highly functional and capable paradigm

I am not at all concerned with antenna location. Small semi efficient ground plane 440/2M antennas are generally good looking and inexpensive from at least three different sources, Comet, Cushcraft, Hustler etc....

HF on this dinky car will be the same inefficient problem we have with all mobile rigs... not enough area for a decent counterpoise. Large scale screwdrivers or bug catchers will look odd on the tiny car. I bet most HF will be a "Ham stick" off the left or right rear.

I only use HF 40M or 75M on long cross country trips so I will leave Yaesu FT-100 in my truck.

·
Super Moderator
29,021 Posts
Dayton Hamvention

Not a ham but every year we have a huge gathering of you guys here in Dayton and get to see some pretty amazing mobile rigs. Let me know if you'll be in town for the next one - if we have our smarts by then we could do a mini smart gathering. :)

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have an "extra" Kenwood D700. Maybe put the main unit behind the passenger seat (maybe under?). The "Head" can go just about anywhere. I can take off the head and hide it in the glove compartment while parked.;)

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I have an "extra" Kenwood D700. Maybe put the main unit behind the passenger seat (maybe under?). The "Head" can go just about anywhere. I can take off the head and hide it in the glove compartment while parked.;)
There might be some mounting space behind either seat. Most probably the driver's since the pax set sits farther back. Right now smart has the first aid kit there. I got a snap of it on my smart house USA cars post.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I got a TRAM glass mount dual band that seems to do pretty well on my geo Tracker with the Yeasu FTM-10R. I'll probabaly just move that whole rig over to the smart. I also put this radio on my motorcycle and there I use a TRAM stick antenna that is not supposed to need a ground plane. That works almost as well as the glass mount on the car or so it seems.

73!

KE5PWX

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ham Radio

I ordered the Pure just so I would have the solid roof for mounting an antenna. I plan on at least a 2 meter rig or maby a dual bander. I do have an IC 706 but Im notsure where I would mount it in the car? I should know sometime in the first half of 2008

ka0jwc

·
Registered
58 Posts
update

I ordered the Pure just so I would have the solid roof for mounting an antenna. I plan on at least a 2 meter rig or maby a dual bander. I do have an IC 706 but Im notsure where I would mount it in the car? I should know sometime in the first half of 2008

ka0jwc
I have since learned that the solid roof is poly, just like the see thru one. Oh well. After looking closer at the car at the dealer, I think we will have to be happy with a thru the glass antenna for the 2 meter rigs. There are spots in the bumper area for screw in tow hooks that could be used for some sort of antenna attachment for HF use maby? These go right to the frame so it would be a metal connection. Time will tell.

Patiently waiting

ka0jwc

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I will be drilling a hole in the roof back to the rear and centered and securing a NMO mount for a 2/440 antenna... you do not need a metal structure...just the huevos to drill a hole and live with it... The Tridion Will be the ground plane and enough area and mass to counterpoise a UHF/vhf antenna..

I have considered a areo wing spoiler thingy and put the antenna on it and snake feed-line inside via the spoiler attaching at the rear corners

We could attach a good cushcraft side mount to the Tridion on either side... still need them huevos though grin

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Ants on Smarts.

Fred: Before you drill a hole, try cutting the feed coax to tune.

Start with a !/2 wave length. Be sure and use a "Bird" or other top quality SWR meter . Cut cable for lowest standing wave while watching radiated power out on a field strength meter. You may hit the sweet spot 1st time.

Be sure the radio is grounded.

I've worked this trick on plastic boats, RVs etc, over the years with good results.:)

BTW. the tridion looks almost perfect as a 440/2m reflector.

A2Jack.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts