Smart Car of America Forum banner

41 - 60 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
I guess you could call it an ad. The banner will be used for the Hamvention and will be hanging above the Comet Antenna booths. One of the goals; is to, promote smart at Dayton this year as well. My car will be loaded up with a lot of smart information and there will be othe displays of the smart brand as well. I will be at the Hamvention from the 15th through the 18th. I will be in and out of the Hamvention all of those days. I am staying with my sister-in-law's in Colerain that week.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Found a problem this morning with the Larson. Any other car/truck would not have this problem. But those excellent wipers on the smart hit the mount.:( (and yes, it does drizzle in San Diego). I guess I'll have to remove the mount and look at the comet mount - or something like it.
Drat!

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Update:
Removed outside mount. I could mount it lower and not conflict with the wipers. Temp. registration is in the way so I will wait.
I could do the Comet mount, but since I already have the Larson...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Checked today and there is just nowhere to put the Larson on the windshield. Just too good of a wiper system (darn, rats!:cool:). I'll try the other mount.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Going to use hf here with mine. I have plans for a simple flat mount to use the bumper bolt for the antenna mount (goes into the frame) and a tentec scout for under the dash. Simple hf setup. Will be up and running ssb and cw mobile. Just need to decide if I'm going to use hamsticks or a small version of the bugcatcher. Might even go with a Tarheel type antenna if I can find one cheap enough. I've operated mobile with one watt and less and it is entirely possible to do without any sort of amp. The scout is 50 watts and that is plenty on 10/15/17/20 meters.

mike
k5wmg

·
Registered
533 Posts
I got mine installed Thursday. It's a Yaesu FTM-10R with a thru-the-glass TRAM antenna. Initial real-world testing shows that this antenna/radio setup works very well on both VHF and UHF ham bands.

I put the antenna in the upper passenger side corner and the radios head under the passenger seat with the face unit attached to the drink holder. The controls are hard to reach down there but I like the way it looks and I have the cool DTFM microphone which has buttons for everything I would want to do while driving anyway.

It has another cool feature that I will play with today which is it works with a bluetooth headset.

88, 73.. all that.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I got mine installed Thursday. It's a Yaesu FTM-10R with a thru-the-glass TRAM antenna. Initial real-world testing shows that this antenna/radio setup works very well on both VHF and UHF ham bands.

I put the antenna in the upper passenger side corner and the radios head under the passenger seat with the face unit attached to the drink holder. The controls are hard to reach down there but I like the way it looks and I have the cool DTFM microphone which has buttons for everything I would want to do while driving anyway.

It has another cool feature that I will play with today which is it works with a bluetooth headset.

88, 73.. all that.
The wipers don't hit?

·
Registered
533 Posts
no, the wipers don't hit but now I find out that the antenna's VHF is kaput. I may be looking into the comet install as well.

Wonder what kind of SWR he is getting.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have not had the opportunity to get under a Smart Car but on my 2000 Lexus RX300 here is what we did http://n2opj.tripod.com/ then click on "Antenna Bracket Design" This worked very well for many years on this vehicle without any problems. I am N2OPJ my son is K1VDH ex KB2YZA you can also mount the head with a ProClip available at http://www.proclipusa.com/
Dr. VDH N2OPJ

·
Registered
125 Posts
Comet Antennas Work

I use a Comet antenna on my car and it works great! send me a private email and I can show you some photos of the install. I did such a good job, Comet used my car at their display at Dayton this year. 73s

·
Registered
175 Posts
OK, so how many are ready to form:

Smart Mobile Amateur Radio Team?

Shoot, I belong to Bicycle Mobile Hams of America...

Great thread. I'll be wanting to install a mobile in my smart, if I ever get it... :D

rich
KG6NPA

·
Registered
580 Posts
I plan on putting an HF rig in mine, and I am going to weld a bracket that will come out from under the rear bumper to mount the antenna on. I am not sure on the details of how I will mount anything yet....maybe in a couple more months I will have more of an idea when the car gets here, but I have never had any trouble getting one of my homemade antenna mounts on a car and I hope the smart is no different. If I can't get a TS 50 to go in the way I want, I just might have to put a new TS 480 in there.
And for those that can't understand why you would want a ham radio in the car....I like to talk to my friends in Tahiti, or Europe in the morning, on the way to work, and my Australian friends at night on the way home. If you don't get it, then you don't need it. I need it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
A possible easier way to mount an HF antenna

Find someone that can machine a bracket to screw into one of the tow hook mounts in the bumpers. Or call Mick at Comet and ask them how I installed my antenna on my car.

·
Registered
833 Posts
You can bolt something like an antenna even easier.. just use a smaller bolt to go thru the bumper tow hook hole. Put a nut inside the back of the bumper... use some washers and a spacer between the bumper and your new bracket. No need to spend money on an odd ball threaded bolt.

·
Registered
580 Posts
On my other vehicles, I have always just removed the shipping tow hook, welded by home-made bracket onto the hook, and then placed the hook back on the car. My last one was on a Nissan, and when I traded it in, I just unbolted the hook assembly and kept the whole thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I use a Comet antenna on my car and it works great! send me a private email and I can show you some photos of the install. I did such a good job, Comet used my car at their display at Dayton this year. 73s
Hi,

Rory - K5MBH - here. Picket up my Cabrio on Friday. Just saw this thread with the Comet antenna and mount on your smart. Which mount did you use, and how did you attach it? I'm going to put in a D-710 and an Avmap GT5 in mine. I spent today working on how to get XM installed. I'm almost finished with that.

73 - Rory - K5MBH

41 - 60 of 104 Posts