Smart Car of America Forum banner

61 - 80 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
I use a Comet antenna on my car and it works great! send me a private email and I can show you some photos of the install. I did such a good job, Comet used my car at their display at Dayton this year. 73s
Ive sent you 2 private messages and have yet to get a reply. Where did you go? I think more than a few of us would like to know more details about the comet antenna setup.

Scott

Ka0jwc

·
Registered
20 Posts
Why not use a license plate mount? Lakeview Company - Products

I put these on my VW diesel and Mercedes cars, currently a E320 BlueTEC. The Mercedes license plate attachement isn't grounded but it's easy to run a grounding braid. Works fine on all bands using Yaesu Ft-857 & ATAS-120.

Bill

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is this bracket strong enough for an ATAS 120 while moving?

Why not use a license plate mount?

I put these on my VW diesel and Mercedes cars, currently a E320 BlueTEC. The Mercedes license plate attachement isn't grounded but it's easy to run a grounding braid. Works fine on all bands using Yaesu Ft-857 & ATAS-120.

Bill

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I doubt it...first problem is the license plate mounts usually are only into the plastic rear cover and not firmly into any sheet metal. (this means weak attachment and ground braid required to the Lic Plate bracket)

Second, the vibration from a 40M ham stick I used on one of these plates cracked at the back of the horizontal section of the mount in 6 months... Thus I suspect the heavier ATAS would accelerate the flex and bend action causing crack in the mount faster

For an ATAS I would use the right rear Tow hook mount hole, get a $21 factory tow eye and slice off the eye with a hack saw, square up the new bolt face with a grinder or file, drill and tap the unique threaded bolt to accept a 1/2" fine thread 1" long bolt, make an el (90 degree bracket) out of 3/16" stainless plate 1.5" wide by 5.5" long with 1.5" bent down 90 degrees and 4" flat horizontal mount area, drill needed holes, use lock-tight on unique bolt threads and 90 degree bracket bolt threads, mount the ATAS to the well grounded assy, test and trim then enjoy relatively good 40 through 6 meter mobile contacts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have ordered a set of stainless steel bolts (SmartieParts) that support fastening somthing to them, so hope to have them in a few days. Also have a Larsen thru glass antenna, so will try that first for 2/.7 meter on my Cap...KI4VLH

·
Registered
53 Posts
Another location

I too have been scouting around for a antenna location. Since I primarily use 440 on my local repeater I plan on mounting a 1/4 wave NMO on a bracket under the hood. This will be great for local stuff. If I have to do full ham for a callout I will use my Navigator SUV.

Ken

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Got my Larson glass mount 2 meter/440 antenna installed. This time the wiper does not hit the mount. Ended up putting it near the rear view mirror.

Close up: The wiper clears by about 1/2".

D700 head in car. The head can be removed and hidden. The antenna can be easily unscrewed from the driver's seat (Cabrio top opened). the main body of the radio fits easily under the passenger seat. The exterior speaker is on the floor under the front edge of the passenger seat.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Now I found out that 2-meters at high power.....

Wait for it.....

shuts off the throttle....again.
50 watts on the glass mount antenna is just too close to something on the dash. Medium power is okay and high power on 440 is okay being that 440 only has 35 watts max.

Now you know the stoooooorrrryyy (may he rest in peace).

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just picked up my Smart last Wednesday and I'm trying to decide the best way to mount an antenna too.

I contacted WCOCHRAN and he sent me a couple of pics of his antenna installation using a Comet EM-5M mount. He flipped the mount around so the set screws are on the outside instead of the underside. I'm still deciding if that's the way I want to go or not.

Here are his pics.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks ttorion for the detailed pictures of both WCOCHRAN's installation and N4ZUW's mount from July '08's QST.

I may be mistaken here, but it looks to me as if in both cases, the mount is to plastic, which is likely nowhere near as durable as it ought to be. I drive my 2008 Passion at highway speeds, and frequent places where there are trees with low-hanging branches that may hit the antenna at low speed. Mounting to plastic seems incompatible with surviving that environment.

Am I mistaken? Do you have a picture of the underside of the N4ZUW mount and what it's hooked to?

I've been thinking about various ways to mount to the Tridion in such a way that it will survive this sort of thing. Goal is to get the antenna up and in the clear to the extent possible, so I'm a bit partial to the N4ZUW location over WCOCHRAN's approach. My previous experience with glass-mount antennas makes me fairly unwilling to try that approach; I would be willing to drill holes in the Tridion of course, if they were hidden in a location where I could easily plug them when Smart USA wises up and imports a diesel and catalyzes me buying a new vehicle and selling this one.

I'm still only thinking VHF/UHF; the idea of mobile HF in the Smart is amusing, but impractical. :)

-Rob (AI4UC)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Rob,

You are correct, both of those are mounted to plastic. I went ahead and mounted mine like N4ZUW. Here is a picture of the underside.

I felt like the RS-730 mount with four mounting screws would distribute the load on the plastic. Also, it straddles the screw that holds the spoiler to the tailgate. I tilted my antenna over at about a 45 degree angle to keep from hitting the garage door. Time will tell if the plastic holds up!

If you do go that route you need to rearrange the RS-730 mount slightly to keep it from hitting the roof when you open the tailgate. Here is a picture of mine.

KD5NNU also sent me a picture of his mount. He describes it in this thread on smartusainsider.com. K7ERO Calling Smart Hams - smart USA insider

It's just hard to find a good mounting location on a plastic car!

Alan N5NA

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry for the late response to the question regarding the ability of a license plate mount to support an ATAS 120. My license plate mounts have supported an ATAS 120 numerous times at speeds well in excess of 100 mph but never on the Smart. I haven't tried it there.

Examining the frame structure at a dealer, I thought maybe an antenna could be attached to the rollover frame above the rear hatch. I'm thinking perhaps the molding pieces can be removed and the antenna grounded and anchored to it.

One last item: Has anyone determined if a through-glass mount will work through the plastic roof?

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Sorry for the late response to the question regarding the ability of a license plate mount to support an ATAS 120. My license plate mounts have supported an ATAS 120 numerous times at speeds well in excess of 100 mph but never on the Smart. I haven't tried it there.

Examining the frame structure at a dealer, I thought maybe an antenna could be attached to the rollover frame above the rear hatch. I'm thinking perhaps the molding pieces can be removed and the antenna grounded and anchored to it.

One last item: Has anyone determined if a through-glass mount will work through the plastic roof?
How thick is the plastic? I am using the Larson on my windshield. Works okay. If the top is not any thicker than the roof, the it should work.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
APRS on my smart

On August 4th I will be driving from San Diego to:
Flagstaff, AZ
Albuquerque, NM - 8/5
Near Durango, CO - 8/6
Denver, CO - 8/7
Salt Lake City, UT - 8/8
St. George, UT - 8/9
Barstow, CA - 8/10
San Diego, CA - 8/11

My smart will be transmitting on the APRS network. You can go to:
aprs.fi
and track any APRS unit. I have been practicing around town with my call sign
of KE6VUP-15. I am going to change the ID to "smart" with my call sign in the message to keep with federal law (perfectly legal) during my drive. Next weekend (well, starting Friday) I will be driving up to Oceano, CA (near Pismo Beach, just south of San Luis Obispo. Look for either call sign, but I will be trying to change the call sign tomorrow to "smart".
I may post pictures (from the aprs.fi site) of my travels here.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
APRS map example

Below is today's drive of my smart. Just follow the blue line. The red dots are every time my APRS hit a digipeter and was put on the network.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ok... here is my 2 cents worth.... My call is VE6FRM or VE6UBG. First I too like the use of APRS / 2m /440 and tend to use 6 m periodically....
I initially placed a larsen glass mount on my smart. During the winter I got the darndest thing happening.... every time the radio keyed up, the tire pressure indicator light lit. I checked the match, and it did not seem to make a darn bit of difference..... so after a month or two of pressing the reset button on the dash for the pressure indicator, I got miffed.

The larsen was a decent dual band antenna.... and I still use one on my Envoy, but there had to be a solution... and a way to get my 6 m rig working as well.

Enter the mother of invention.... and a general need for a better ground plane.
I looked at the mounts that I saw here on the forum, and really thought to myself that they were either "precarious" or cumbersome. The mount on the hatch would not suit my needs as I do park in a fairly low garage, and I am forever throwing stuff in and out of the back area.

I did not like the idea of trying to drill into the chasis for any reason... mostly cuz this thing is way too neat to start drilling holes.

So I thought for a while... and looked for a long while.

HEY the main chasis is metal! Why not use holes that are already there..... the tow hitch plugs pop in and out and expose a decent block of metal! I simply went to a local metal supply house, bought a 4' piece of ready rod and a few nuts.... bent a peice of flat iron and drilled a couple of holes in the bent iron. The washer you see is NOT pressing on the plastic, it is a spacer for a piece of tubing that keeps the inside threads tight and clean.

Now I have my aprs, 6m, 2m and 440.... one antenna... a tri band fold over from maldol / comet...

No more hassles with "idiot lights" even with 100 watts....

and the mount will probably take on an HF antenna as well...just watch the tip over factor if you add a 10 foot steel whip!
(smirk)

Fred

·
Registered
88 Posts
I ran a metal bracket from the frame on my RX300 to hold the antenna but your idea is worth looking into further on any of our vehicles here.
I am N2OPJ my son is K1VDH

Ok... here is my 2 cents worth.... My call is VE6FRM or VE6UBG. First I too like the use of APRS / 2m /440 and tend to use 6 m periodically....
I initially placed a larsen glass mount on my smart. During the winter I got the darndest thing happening.... every time the radio keyed up, the tire pressure indicator light lit. I checked the match, and it did not seem to make a darn bit of difference..... so after a month or two of pressing the reset button on the dash for the pressure indicator, I got miffed.

The larsen was a decent dual band antenna.... and I still use one on my Envoy, but there had to be a solution... and a way to get my 6 m rig working as well.

Enter the mother of invention.... and a general need for a better ground plane.
I looked at the mounts that I saw here on the forum, and really thought to myself that they were either "precarious" or cumbersome. The mount on the hatch would not suit my needs as I do park in a fairly low garage, and I am forever throwing stuff in and out of the back area.

I did not like the idea of trying to drill into the chasis for any reason... mostly cuz this thing is way too neat to start drilling holes.

So I thought for a while... and looked for a long while.

HEY the main chasis is metal! Why not use holes that are already there..... the tow hitch plugs pop in and out and expose a decent block of metal! I simply went to a local metal supply house, bought a 4' piece of ready rod and a few nuts.... bent a peice of flat iron and drilled a couple of holes in the bent iron. The washer you see is NOT pressing on the plastic, it is a spacer for a piece of tubing that keeps the inside threads tight and clean.

Now I have my aprs, 6m, 2m and 440.... one antenna... a tri band fold over from maldol / comet...

No more hassles with "idiot lights" even with 100 watts....

and the mount will probably take on an HF antenna as well...just watch the tip over factor if you add a 10 foot steel whip!
(smirk)

Fred

61 - 80 of 104 Posts