Smart Car of America Forum banner

81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Smart mounts

A couple of smart mounts on my smart.
Used a couple of custom made stainless steel bolts that screw in the towing eye sockets.
(My original mount simply used the towing eye with a Diamond roof bar mount)
I then used a piece of angle iron running across the rear to mount this on (even more metal)
Yesterday I made a bracket for the roof mount for my aprs, getting the shape correct was a pain as you have to put a curve in and then a right angle bend but using a vice,hammer and blowtorch it was made.
The rear window opens up just fine.

Photo's are here: flickr.com/photos/tomcatuk/sets/72157624117754568/

Sorry you will have to copy and paste as my post count has not exceeded 3 or greater..

Steve

·
Registered
1 Posts
Caution on Bumper Mount

Hi. Thanks for posting new ways to mount. It's great to see what other people are doing.

Living in a large city (San Francisco), I just wanted to raise a couple of issues with the bumper mounted option.

1. In the City, "bumper pushing" while parking is very common. This means that someone attempting to park behind your car on the street may bump or push your rear bumper (front too). This would destroy the mount.

2. If you are in an accident, particularly if someone rear ends your car, the mount would be destroyed. However, it's during an accident that you most need your radio and the ability to transmit.

Just my two cents.

Ok... here is my 2 cents worth.... My call is VE6FRM or VE6UBG. First I too like the use of APRS / 2m /440 and tend to use 6 m periodically....
I initially placed a larsen glass mount on my smart. During the winter I got the darndest thing happening.... every time the radio keyed up, the tire pressure indicator light lit. I checked the match, and it did not seem to make a darn bit of difference..... so after a month or two of pressing the reset button on the dash for the pressure indicator, I got miffed.

The larsen was a decent dual band antenna.... and I still use one on my Envoy, but there had to be a solution... and a way to get my 6 m rig working as well.

Enter the mother of invention.... and a general need for a better ground plane.
I looked at the mounts that I saw here on the forum, and really thought to myself that they were either "precarious" or cumbersome. The mount on the hatch would not suit my needs as I do park in a fairly low garage, and I am forever throwing stuff in and out of the back area.

I did not like the idea of trying to drill into the chasis for any reason... mostly cuz this thing is way too neat to start drilling holes.

So I thought for a while... and looked for a long while.

HEY the main chasis is metal! Why not use holes that are already there..... the tow hitch plugs pop in and out and expose a decent block of metal! I simply went to a local metal supply house, bought a 4' piece of ready rod and a few nuts.... bent a peice of flat iron and drilled a couple of holes in the bent iron. The washer you see is NOT pressing on the plastic, it is a spacer for a piece of tubing that keeps the inside threads tight and clean.

Now I have my aprs, 6m, 2m and 440.... one antenna... a tri band fold over from maldol / comet...

No more hassles with "idiot lights" even with 100 watts....

and the mount will probably take on an HF antenna as well...just watch the tip over factor if you add a 10 foot steel whip!
(smirk)

Fred

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wb2tcv here,I have been using a 1/4 wave mag mount above the windshield for 2 meters.I don't like glass mounts ,but that is probably the best choice.See you in Dayton?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks,this is my first day on the forum,we have a 2009 Cabrio -my wifes car,but we will tow it to Dayton.We used a Kenwood 281 while driving it from South Carolina last December.Its new to us.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
The best mounting point on the Smart is the tow hook socket. This will pick up the very best ground plane on 2 and 440.

Ex Antenna Manufacture. Many years displaying at Dayton. Miss It. :) A2Jack.

BTW. IMO, best ant back there is 5/8 wave dual band.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Thank you for reminding me about taking the 1st test. I know it isn't difficult. I hate you guys. Me...ok with CB on trails. I know...not good enough.

·
Registered
249 Posts
OK - I had to go find what antenna I used - it is a Diamond NR770HRKS. It comes with 3M adhesive that mounts to any surface and has it's own ground plane so that you do not need to mount it onto a metal surface. I am the ARES Emergency Coordinator for Oldham County, KY and I am able to get out just as well as if I had a standard antenna. We have done some testing in both simplex and repeater usage - both work quite well. I have not tried packet yet - I have everything I need, except time!

You can see in my thread how I mounted my transceiver under the seat and put the head unit in the left hand cubby. It is very readable there and keeps the mic from getting in the way. Let me know if you have any other questions - I can take more photos, etc. if you like.

Oh - one more thing. The antenna folds so I can park in my garage. With the recent cold weather I wanted to put it down and leave it down for a bit, but it swings all over when it is down. So I attached a small clear outdoor '3M Command' hook on the front of the top just behind the windshield and made a short guy wire out of fishing line. This keeps the antenna tied down when I do not have it extended and it works really well.

KG4ZPZ

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am a Ham (KE6VUP) and I'm trying to figure out how to install an antenna on a Smart cabrio. Maybe a mount on the side of the tridon cell? I have the 1216 reservation #, so I know it will be a while till I even get the car. Any of you lucky Europeans or Canucks:) have any ideas? Pictures of the area around the top of the cell area with the top down would help.
I pulled away the headliner material to expose the bare inside of the roof
Then applied a medium thickness copper foil to act as a ground plane to every area I could using adhesive. Then ran some grounding wires to batt neg. Drilled hole just slightly back of center & mounted a 2 meter combo. works great, just need to be versed in yoga for quickest results. Also mounted a small cell phone antenna forward of that location that ties into the hands free kit. Folks sitting in traffic along side me are hitting redial, while I can reach 2+ cell towers away. Be brave. KF6ZPX

·
Registered
763 Posts
Thanks, SantasHelper. As I was returning to this thread to read the responses, I could see the installation in my mind's eye again and realized that I saw a cable running from the antenna into the car.

I did note the fold-over capability (thumb screw) so I thought it had pretty much everything you need in an antenna on a smart.

I guess I was hoping a through-the-glass mount would work because I have one from my previous car.

You would think I would have learned a lesson I keep repeating to myself - add whatever you are going to add right away or you will find yourself years later complaining about not having time to do it. That's me with the radio and also the fog lights (which is a different story).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sorry to chime in so late and bring back an old thread. Just got my radios and antennas installed. Everything works great and plenty of range. This setup also allows for mag mount options.

The hatch can be opened and closed without any issues. There also clearance between the body and antennas. The antennas also do not block the break lights what so ever. Not a single hole was drilled on the car for my setup. Just for reference, I'm running a Cobra 38wxst with a firestik antenna and a Bao Feng UV-5r+ (2m and 70cm) paired to a diamond SG7500a. All the hardware flats were bought at home depot and the bumper bolts from smartmadness. Eventually I'll paint them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Castmem -
Sorry to bring this thread back yet again, but I'm going through the agony right now of trying to get my 2m/440 antenna installed on the 2013 Smart Passion.

What solution did you end up using that doesn't require drilling into the Smart?

Many Thanks,
73 de KC6RTO

81 - 100 of 104 Posts