Smart Car of America Forum banner

Are you interested in having a chapter picnic?

• No, we meet to much already

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, sorry but I'm too busy this summer

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'd like to get together for a local picnic, anybody interested? I'm figuring a city park, something on the southside maybe since we did Williamsburg/Surry last. Since I live in Hampton I don't know the recreational areas over there. Once we get a handle on interest we can figure who brings what.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Three parks come to mind. Mount Trashmore, First Landing and Little Island.

My favorite is Little Island, but it is in Sandbridge, a long distance for most people. "This 123-acre beach park was once the home to a Coast Guard Station. Today, Little Island Park features a 2,775 ft. beach and a 400 ft. fishing pier. You may also launch your canoe or kayak into Back Bay". There are picnic shelters and restrooms here.

First Landing is near the oceanfront. "First Landing offers boating, swimming, nature and history programs, hiking, biking, picnicking, a boat launch, cabins and 20 miles of trails on 2,888 acres."

Both of these have an entrance fee.

Mount Trashmore is just past Independence off of 264. "Park is open from 7:30 a.m. until sunset. Facilities include picnic shelters, playground areas, basketball court, volleyball areas, parking, vending machines and restrooms, plus an extensive street course Skate Park which includes a seven-foot deep bowl and a massive 13.5 ft tall vert ramp. The park also has a walking trail that measures approximately 1.45 miles. Trail maps are available at Park Office. No private boats are allowed on this lake, but fishing is allowed"

There is no entrance fee for Mount Trashmore.

I'm not sure the procedure for reserving picnic areas but once we select a park I can find out. I think it is too late to do this for June, but possibly July. I'm free either July 17 or 31.

Anyone familiar with Ocean View? Maybe that would be a good choice, closer to people on the other side of the water.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We could plan a meetup at the VaBch smartcenter and drive to whatever park we choose like we did at the Tyson's Corner center and trip to the National Arboretum. That was over 360 miles round trip for the Space Pod and me. The smartcenter set up snacks for us, of course, they want to sponsor a new chapter in DC so they were trying to impress the drivers.:smartje.rd.zw:

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
July 17 is no good for me, I'll be driving up to N.J. for a 3 class high school reunion/picnic that weekend. I like First Landing, been there a few times for volksmarches

·
Registered
85 Posts
i hate to say it, but i visited the VB smart center last week and they informed me that they would be closing their doors forever on june 22. i'm going to start a new thread with everything they told me. what's worse, is that they close on my birthday =(

i'm up for the picnic, it sounds like a fun idea. i'd rather it be in july, just so i can plan for it because my work schedule is fairly erratic. mt. trashmore is the only place of those 3 that i know the location. but wherever you guys choose to meet up, i can always find directions for :D

·
Registered
2009 451 Rally Red, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40, Wix XP 51356, 185/55R15 tires, 44 psl
1,032 Posts
There is a state park just above Williamsburg, forgot the name but I will find it...
Also Merchants Millpond in NC, just below Suffolk,
And Back Bay / False Cape in Virginia Beach.
False Cape is hard to get to, only way in is Blue Goose Tram, no traffic allowed.
I think Hampton / Newport News has a city park or two
A possible drive of Colonial Parkway?

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd say we wnat a wooded site for the summer picnic, keep us cool as possible. Hampton has Sandy Bottom Nature Park, Williamsburg has Waller Mill and there's Newport News City Park all 3 rent canoes if anybody wants to go boating.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Sundays are a no go for me, I volunteer at the Virginia Living Museum every Sunday. I didn't see much interest in the picnic idea but I'm still game if it's a Saturday.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts