Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search on the forums and couldn't find anybody talking about this thing. It's basically a lot like the ScanGauge II, but (IMHO) a lot cooler looking. :) It fits in any standard 52mm gauge pod.

Aeroforce Technology Inc | Products - Interceptor

They don't "officially" support Smart yet, but I was curious if anybody has ever tried one of these things? For the fairly standard functions, OBDC is OBDC, right? (I don't know, that's why I ask lol.) I've also emailed them asking about Smart support. I'll post what I find when I find it out.

On a side note, what's the size of the factory Smart pods? Is it 52mm? It would be a killer mod to stick one of these things in a factory Smart gauge pod...

·
Registered
660 Posts
I've also emailed them asking about Smart support. I'll post what I find when I find it out.
Let us know please.

Very interested in this. Looks like install into the clock pod would be as simple as fabbing up a faceplate. Might even be able to mod it to use the factory buttons at rear of pod.

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
Wow! sounds like quite the unit. Wonder if it will work on a smart. Sounds like it does a lot of communicating with the computers, could be trouble, or not.

·
Registered
793 Posts
$249.00 plus shipping with only 2 lines on the display... I'll stick with my SCII. Yes it would be nice to incorporate a round display into "crab eyes" but it's too expensive.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
$249.00 plus shipping with only 2 lines on the display... I'll stick with my SCII. Yes it would be nice to incorporate a round display into "crab eyes" but it's too expensive.
Everybody has different tastes.

This unit also has a wide selection of faces, bevels, and trim. It has multiple background and foreground color selections, two analog inputs for custom sensors, and two LED 'warning lights' for preset limits. You can also plug two of these into your OBDCII computer (one in each pod). So it's not lacking in features.

It's just different from the ScanGauge. :)

I'm still waiting on a response, but it's a weekend, so that's no surprise.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
yeah... but you put one in each pod.... that's $500 plus shipping. And you're getting 4 different information displays..... which i believe is what you get with the ScanGauge 2 as well. Might not look quite as sleek.... but it's almost 5x less money for the same exact functionality. And actually, since the Scangauge can also display RPM's... and it's kinda odd to have two clocks in the car (or 3 if you have an aftermarket headunit in place).... you wouldn't even really need the pods.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah... but you put one in each pod.... that's $500 plus shipping. And you're getting 4 different information displays..... which i believe is what you get with the ScanGauge 2 as well. Might not look quite as sleek.... but it's almost 5x less money for the same exact functionality. And actually, since the Scangauge can also display RPM's... and it's kinda odd to have two clocks in the car (or 3 if you have an aftermarket headunit in place).... you wouldn't even really need the pods.
Okay, seriously, guys. Can we just agree to disagree on which unit is the best fit for each of us? I like the aesthetics of the Interceptor and am willing to pay more for it. This is the same as people who are okay with paying more for shiny chrome rims and ground effects of the Brabus, or silver instead of black tridium safety cell. lol.

If anybody has any actual knowledge on the Interceptor's compatibility with Smart, I'm curious to hear your experience. And I will reply to this thread when I find out more about the unit itself. If it's compatible, I'm getting it for my birthday coming soon. :)

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
well.... i happen to like my Brabus.... and i dunno what Brabus you're looking at, but none come with chrome rims.... and the only real difference in the valence's on the Brabus are the front and rear ones.... the sides are basically the same as far as i'm aware... just painted instead of textured plastic. But yes... i do like the the front and rear valence looks.... as well as the rims.... and the idea of having a slightly more sporty (although i'd prefer quite a bit softer) suspension system, and the nice velour floor mats with the Brabus logo, and the Brabus badges, and the Brabus exhaust..............

not trying to start an arguement.... but willingness to pay for the Interceptor over the Scangauge 2 is different from willingness to buy a Brabus or a regular Passion Coupe. Brabus you're getting extra bits that enhance the look and, in a way, functionality of the car. Interceptor you're paying more for a smaller unit and identical functionality.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well.... i happen to like my Brabus.... and i dunno what Brabus you're looking at, but none come with chrome rims.... and the only real difference in the valence's on the Brabus are the front and rear ones.... the sides are basically the same as far as i'm aware... just painted instead of textured plastic. But yes... i do like the the front and rear valence looks.... as well as the rims.... and the idea of having a slightly more sporty (although i'd prefer quite a bit softer) suspension system, and the nice velour floor mats with the Brabus logo, and the Brabus badges, and the Brabus exhaust..............

not trying to start an arguement.... but willingness to pay for the Interceptor over the Scangauge 2 is different from willingness to buy a Brabus or a regular Passion Coupe. Brabus you're getting extra bits that enhance the look and, in a way, functionality of the car. Interceptor you're paying more for a smaller unit and identical functionality.
I'm happy you are happy with your Brabus. I got a chance to drive one for a couple days when my Smarty was getting its 10,000 maintenance and the HVAC fixed. It was fun.

Now, if you kindly don't mind... I'd like to talk to other interested parties about the Interceptor, which I happen to like. So, please, go away.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update? Any response from Aeroforce?
DOH. Sorry I forgot to post. Yes, I did hear back from Aeroforce...

We have sold some gauges to Smart owners and they have worked fine. They don't show trans gear though, but it will show:

Intake air temp
Coolant temp
Mass Air Flow (MAF)
Manifold Air Pressure (MAP) – this will be displayed as both absolute and boost pressure
-if car has a MAP sensor
Ignition advance
Long term fuel trims
Short term fuel trims
O2 sensor mv’s
Closed/Open loop fueling status
Engine load
Throttle %
MPH
RPM
HP
MPG
Battery Voltage
Engine Run Time
Commanded A/F ratio
Analog input 1
Analog input 2

I can sell you one for $189 if you would like one, a discount due to the fact that is does not have specific support for enhanced Smart parameters and functions. Let me know and thanks for your interest!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts