Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to change the color of the Tridion cell by repainting it. I just thought I should check and see if anyone has run into problems doing that?

·
Registered
808 Posts
I'd like to change the color of the Tridion cell by repainting it. I just thought I should check and see if anyone has run into problems doing that?
The Tridion cell is underneath the painted sheet metal.
Painting or wraping won't make any difference to the integrity of the safety cell.
Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
11,231 Posts
I have a buddy at work who had his tridion wrapped with purple as he is a big Vikings fan. Looks great, no problems.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I thought about doing it, but I want to keep my silver Brabus as original as possible, just in case one day it might be worth something.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all. epo760, yours looks great!

Although I know what wrapping is, I've never really looked up close. Is the wrap as durable as paint or do you have to redo it from time to time? I'm guessing it is less expensive than paint?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Wraps depending on the job can be just as expensive or cheaper> i have had several motorcycles wrapped and I was actually going to have my cell wrapped. The major problem with wrapping our cells is the fact that since the cell alone is the entire side of the car it would be a large piece of vinyl and essentially a waste. You could technically wrap the cell and door with the amount of vinyl you would use. Of course some vinyl wrappers like my wrapper can make precise cuts and wrap it in sections but I am not a fan personally of that. I opted to have my cell custom matched to my body panels with paint. Lastly with paint you can get touch up paint, wax it and it takes rocks a little bit better than wrap. Weather also affects it a little bit more as heat and cold can warp it. I would definitely go with paint for the cell unless you wrap the whole car a custom color.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks all. epo760, yours looks great!

Although I know what wrapping is, I've never really looked up close. Is the wrap as durable as paint or do you have to redo it from time to time? I'm guessing it is less expensive than paint?
Thanks.
As for the wrap, it'll depend on the average wear-n-tear of your driving conditions. My commute is approx 90 miles per day, and Southern California's freeways aren't known as the cleanest roads to travel. The wrap has been on for a couple of months, and it seems to be holding up. For $400 though, I'll probably change out the color every year. I noticed others mentioning Plasti-Dip; I'm a fan of dipping as well, as my previous daily driver, an R53 had plenty of flat black on it to protect it from the same flying debris. If you end up wrapping the car, talk to them about corrections and/or replacement wrap. They're usually pretty good about backing their products. Hopefully that helped.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts