Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have always been a DIYer with my cars, and I was wondering if anyone has done a DIY oil change on their Smart? I was wondering how hairy it is. I have ramps and stuff, but no lift.

Just wondering what everyone thought. thanks in advance. :)

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
It's easy enough with virtually no tools and you don't need to lift the car.
Drive the car until it is warm, remove the dipstick and the filler cap. Place a container under the car and remove the drain plug. Wait 5 minutes until the oil has come out. Replace the drain plug (fit a new copper washer if you want to). Fill with oil.

http://www.evilution.co.uk/index.php?page=modpage&id=413&men=servicing

·
Registered
624 Posts
I bought two Smart oil filters when I bought my car Monday....along with two washers. I may do the change or have my local guy do it....either way thanks for the very good info!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have and it is really easy. Do you have an original (06 or older) or the new 07? Let me know and I can walk you through it. I also put on an oil filter spin on kit on my 05.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have and it is really easy. Do you have an original (06 or older) or the new 07? Let me know and I can walk you through it. I also put on an oil filter spin on kit on my 05.
quick question do you think the filter spin kit was worth it and why. I thought of doing this but I dont know if there is any type of beneifit. Also does your smart ever run hot? Thanks for any info

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"...DIY oil change on their Smart? :)["/quote]
Not hairy, no lift, no ramp, no real anything except a good oil pan and "used" oil disposal plan....
cool! I plan on changing it myself then, in addition to the dealer ones every 10K or so. got a service plan, so, I wanna use it. not going to wait 10k between changes though.

thanks for the info! :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
The synthetic oil that comes in the smart is more than capable of going 10k miles between changes. When Mobil 1 first came on the market they tested it at 25,000 miles between changes, their test engines speced out as new engines at 100k........but I would agree with making an initial change earlier to clear out any machining debris (I know there isn't supposed to be any) left in the engine.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
you make a good point there. something about making the first one soon after the break-in period makes sense to me.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Yeah, I am approaching the 5K mark and I already bought the Mobil 1 at Costco. I just need the oil filter and plug. I gather it is best to get those at the smart center?

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
The recommended oil viscosity is...

what weight range is recommended? 5w/30? just wondering. :smartje:
0-40W Mobil 1. In hotter climes I would use 5-40W although the 0 and the 5 are what to expect at the low end of the temperature ranges where you live.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
well, I have hot summers and cold winters, so, I better get my sh*t toegther! :D
Your LI (JKF APT.) annual mean temperature over the past 62 years is +54F, with a record high of +104F and a record low of –02F.

You can check out the smart oil viscosity chart (left out of the US Operators Instructions) on Evilution to see what viscosities cover your temperature range. 0W-xx isn’t good unless you REALLY need it. http://www.evilution.co.uk/index.php?page=modpage&id=407&men=servicing

1 - 20 of 47 Posts