Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a dumb question, probably posted before.. my 450 05 S. Mann Smart has the 3 bars of death once, got it going, and then parked it in my garage at my other (summer) home..the dome lite must have been on as the battery is flat..
the battery is only a year old,
its been in storage a couple weeks (connected), and I just found out when i thought i would move it to farther back in the garage.. nothing no dash lite no radio, so its flat.. i disconnect the battery and now charging...

question is this, anything else i should do?

I plan on doing the front brakes soon, i bought new pads from NAPA, (i hope they fit)... the others have 30k on them and were squawking when i parked it..
steveg
[email protected]
freezing my rumpus in upstate NY.. temp outside -30 with wind ..

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Since I grew up in the northern reaches of Lake Champlain, I can remember those cold winters. However, retirement allowed us to move to Lake Chapala, Jalisco, Mexico, where it never gets too hot or too cold. No AC or furnace in the houses, as they are not needed.
As for the battery: The one in our 2007 Passion 450 is still the original.
So, no help here, other than to tell you that you will need the radio code card to re-activate your radio when you do get the battery charged up.....maybe more.

·
Registered
190 Posts
If you have a good, "smart" charger, it will tell you whether the battery is good or not, and charge accordingly. If you have the old fashion cheap high amp heavy coil weighted charger, it will probably cook the battery, unless you're really really careful. If your battery is only a year old it may be covered under warranty. When I replaced mine, I went to a bigger, normal size battery for more amp hours, so it wouldn't drain as quickly when not used.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
battery is still on charge, going a little at a time, since it was run dead, and the weather way below ZERO, i know better..
so a slow charge is in order...
didnt know about the radio, but lucky for me i have the card... thanks for the heads up..
funny a crap radio (in my opinion) with such techno savy built into it...who in their right mind would steal a radio these days,,,from a SMART? but then i had an 8 track player stolen out of an old chrysler 4 yrs ago...(and it didnt work!! haha)..

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,240 Posts
I have three Del Tran battery tenders and would not be without them. Each car has one hard wired in and it is just plug and play. A battery tender will pay for itself if you have multiple vehicles sitting in the garage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts