Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was debating on replacement tires and wheels for our '08. One contender was these (I believe were optional) on the '13's or simply go with steelies as my OEM alloys have always been a bear to keep from pitting. I just like the look versus the others ... we've got pothole and frost heave city around here as of late and the OEM's have about 46K on them so it's getting close but will wait until late spring or summer anyway

Other than the site where the photo was taken -- $245 ea versus $277 at the dealer anyone know of another source?

Looking for a bit more grip but better comfort so have noticed several tires worth checking out when the time comes; cheapest way of course is to simply get the 'pure' steel wheels and plastic wheel covers but we'll see ...

·
Registered
206 Posts
I just replaced the wheels on my 09 Brabus with 15x6.5 O.Z X2 wheels and Kumho Ecsta 195/50/15 tires all the way around. Complete with new sensors shipped to my house it was under a thousand. Good looking wheels and plenty of rubber protection for these Illinois roads.

Of course now I need a buyer for the Brabus wheels. lol

·
17,346 Posts
Looking for a bit more grip but better comfort so have noticed several tires worth checking out when the time comes; cheapest way of course is to simply get the 'pure' steel wheels and plastic wheel covers but we'll see ...
If you drive in snow, do not buy Kumho Ecsta AST tyres. Snow traction is laughable compared to the original Continentals.

Primewell makes a good tyre for the same price of the Kumhos and has infinitely better snow traction.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think those wheels were offered for US cars. :)
Could have sworn I saw these on a new '13 at the St. Charles, IL dealer but of course could be wrong. The car will definitely be driven in snow as it is now so decent traction versus a 'summer' type tread is up there as well. Other than this past year which has been horrible for anything other than our 2 AWD VW's we typically got by OK with the OEM Conti's in up to moderate snow but have read with interest some other owner experiences. We've got the luxury to switch to a 'winter' car when its really bad so no dedicated snows; it's not always convenient but better than having to store and swap tires, etc.

·
Registered
206 Posts
In fairness, I haven't seen any real issues with the Kumho tires in the snow. It's handled just fine for me. Although I will say that the stock rears were getting pretty worn by the time I replaced them, so maybe that's why I'm happy with the Kumho's. Lol.

My post was more about the wheels though. I'm thrilled with these things. They look great and were really priced well, IMO, so I take it as a win. Wheels, tires, TPMS... mounted, balanced and shipped for under a grand? I'm in.

·
17,346 Posts
Does Central IL get as much snow as us northerners? I'm actually on the WI-IL border. I've gotten stuck in stuff maybe two-three inches thick.

Good news is that 99% of the time, I got myself un-stuck by turning off traction control and spinning my way out. :D

As for the wheels: I don't see them on smartusa.com's "CarConfigurator", so they aren't a normal option. However, I don't see why you couldn't be able to import them through the Brabus Tailor Made Program...albeit at an insane price...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts