Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found it on ebay:

Fidanza Lightweight Aluminium Flywheel 4 lbs 100001 Smart Car Four Two 2007 | eBay

ITEM DESCRIPTION:
FIDANZA'S aluminum flywheels are made from the highest quality 6061 T6 aluminum. The material is fantastic for strength, heat dissipation and of course reduction in weight.
BODY - 6061 T6 ALUMINUM Tolerances machined to +/- .001 6061 T6 has an ultimate tensile strength of at least 42,000 psi and a yield strength of at least 35,000 psi.
RING GEAR - 1050 STEEL / HEAT TREATED Heat treated for durability. The gears are heated then pressed on and secured with grade 8 button screws.
REPLACEABLE FRICTION PLATE - 1045 STEEL The friction surface we use is an incredibly strong 1045 steel. The plates are milled to meet FIDANZA'Shigh specifications. With these replaceable plates there is no need to replace the entire flywheel when the clutch or flywheel is at the end of it�s life, saving time and money.
BUTTON SCREWS - GRADE 8 Increased security helping fasten the ring gear to the flywheel.
FASTENERS - MILITARY SPECMilitary grade aerospace fasteners aid in pulling heat away from the clutch face. Properly spaced for form and function.
STEPPED DOWELS - STEEL Once pressure plate is installed they become locked in place. First in the industry to implement the use of stepped dowels.

FEATURES:

- High performance
- Lightweight
- With Replaceable Friction Plate

APPLICATION:

SMART CAR FOUR TWO 2007+
PART NUMBER: 100001

·
Registered
465 Posts
Yes that company has made them for many cars for some time.

Why would you want a lighter flywheel on the Smart. Lighter flywheels are fine for racing where you need to wrap up the revs quick. But a heavier flywheel gives much smoother transition of power and the heavier weight helps to keep from dropping torque when the clutch is closed.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Fidanza is a well know aftermarket supplier of aluminum flywheels. Not sure the demand is there for one for a smart though. If the flywheel in the picture is the one for sale, it's not for a smart. The Mitsu engine uses an odd 5 bolt attaching pattern. The one pictured has 8. I did check Fidanza's web site, and they do list a flywheel for the smart. I'd make double sure the ebay one is correct before purchasing though...

Besides, I would think an alumium flywheel would be a bad idea on a smart. That little 3 cylinder needs the rotational mass of a steel/cast flywheel for better road manners. Unless your main goal is acceleration for off road racing(remember this is a smart), an aluminum flywheel isn't a good idea on the street.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I had a fidanza flywheel in my Nissan Sentra and it was fine for the streets. I had seen this before as well and had thought about it. The biggest problem I can think about using a lightened flywheel is how slow the trans shift itself. You have to be quick with your shifts.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fidanza is a well know aftermarket supplier of aluminum flywheels. Not sure the demand is there for one for a smart though. If the flywheel in the picture is the one for sale, it's not for a smart. The Mitsu engine uses an odd 5 bolt attaching pattern. The one pictured has 8. I did check Fidanza's web site, and they do list a flywheel for the smart. I'd make double sure the ebay one is correct before purchasing though...

Besides, I would think an alumium flywheel would be a bad idea on a smart. That little 3 cylinder needs the rotational mass of a steel/cast flywheel for better road manners. Unless your main goal is acceleration for off road racing(remember this is a smart), an aluminum flywheel isn't a good idea on the street.

Plan is to get more low end tq with my GT1548 turbo. Check.

TCU upgrade for quicker shifting around 50%. Check

ECU upgrade: rpm raised. Check

More SMART fun. Priceless...

Would it make more sense now if the above was done?

No way I would do this in a stock smart.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Plan is to get more low end tq with my GT1548 turbo. Check.

TCU upgrade for quicker shifting around 50%. Check

ECU upgrade: rpm raised. Check

More SMART fun. Priceless...

Would it make more sense now if the above was done?

No way I would do this in a stock smart.
Yes, that makes more sense. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts