Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my black on black 2009 Smart the day after Thanksgiving. Both my Mom and myslef have pinched our fingers on the door handles on the inside of the car. It happens when the door handle opens and then as it comes back, it pins in your finger and it pinches the skin. ( the back part of your pinky) It happened on both the driver and passenger sides. I have put in a formal complaint to Smart. It hurt like hell!:(
Anyone else have this happen? :confused:
:eek:I was surprised they didn't test these handles better. I can see that a child would pinch their fingers even more so.

Oh!! about the plate.......I asked the dealer NOT to drill the front for plates, and they promised they woudln't. Needless to say when we picked it up it was drilled.:mad:
So we had no choice but to order a custom plate for the front using their frame and I bought another front black plastic frame to fit over their frame front, and got a black plate with deep red letters that says "Pee Wee" on the front. It is ADORABLE!:p

I have also had my car engine light go on TWICE at random times. It did go off after a while. But dont' know what the dern problem is :cool:
Also an alarm has gone off twice,,,, and then goes off, I don't get it... that too went off after trying several things. Can't figure it out. Car just seems a little "wonky" at times. Maybe it doesn't like the US!:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ha! I knew we couldn't be the only ones! What were they thinking when they made these handles? They are SO "pinchy".
I really got to watch it now... every time I open the door I use extra caution, it kinda sucks.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I never noticed a problem with the door handles, nor have my passengers.

Thankfully, my dealer followed through on my request to leave the front plate bracket off, so my bumper has not been drilled.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well just be carefful! It's when the handle comes back!

Yeah they PROMISED us they woudlnt' drill.... and then they drilled it anyways. This is after numerous emails and phone calls to remind them.
But the custom plate does look adorable

·
Super Moderator
29,149 Posts

Yeah they PROMISED us they woudlnt' drill.... and then they drilled it anyways. This is after numerous emails and phone calls to remind them.
You could (entirely up to you) ask to have them replace the front panel at no cost since they failed to follow your written instructions. Worth a shot? :)

·
Banned
4,244 Posts

Why don't you ask them to buy you a new front bumper? After all it seams they owe you.

btw - no pinches in 11,048 miles here. :)

·
Registered
875 Posts
:cussing:Got my finger squashed with the shifter lever while positioning it in Park. Grab the upper part of the lever only.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well we got a new set of car matts out of them. SO at least we got something. They had thenerve to offer us a car wash! I laughed in their faces.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
My car pinched my mother?

Howdy all

Not just the '09's.
My '08 cabrio pinched my mother several times when she was a passenger.

She has learned to be a little more careful (DON"T grab the lever with your whole hand, ONLY use first two fingers on the END of the lever?)

Driver's door doesn't bother me, but I have BIG meaty hands, so not much there to pinch?

·
Registered
63 Posts
During my test drive actually, I pinched my finger in the door handle. Didn't want to look like an idiot at the time....the gal who doesn't know how to open a car door!!!....so I didn't say anything about it and really forgot about it until just now! Kinda glad to hear it's not just ME!!!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Pinched FINGERS by Smart Car

Just got my black on black 2009 Smart the day after Thanksgiving. Both my Mom and myslef have pinched our fingers on the door handles on the inside of the car. It happens when the door handle opens and then as it comes back, it pins in your finger and it pinches the skin. ( the back part of your pinky) It happened on both the driver and passenger sides. I have put in a formal complaint to Smart. It hurt like hell!:(
Anyone else have this happen? :confused:
:eek:I was surprised they didn't test these handles better. I can see that a child would pinch their fingers even more so.

Oh!! about the plate.......I asked the dealer NOT to drill the front for plates, and they promised they woudln't. Needless to say when we picked it up it was drilled.:mad:
So we had no choice but to order a custom plate for the front using their frame and I bought another front black plastic frame to fit over their frame front, and got a black plate with deep red letters that says "Pee Wee" on the front. It is ADORABLE!:p

I have also had my car engine light go on TWICE at random times. It did go off after a while. But dont' know what the dern problem is :cool:
Also an alarm has gone off twice,,,, and then goes off, I don't get it... that too went off after trying several things. Can't figure it out. Car just seems a little "wonky" at times. Maybe it doesn't like the US!:D
Yes, It hurts like just what you described. I drilled a hole in the handle and inserted a thick black nylon cord that I double wrapped around the door handle and pull on it rather than the door handle itself. Not so SMART those door handles unless you consider inflicting pain the objective of MB.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts