Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i dont need the money, but after my test drive i'm not interested in the car anymore.
reminds me of the isetta i once drove.
except i didn't care for the smart transmission at all....
flame away, haas:p

·
Registered
465 Posts
i dont need the money, but after my test drive i'm not interested in the car anymore.
reminds me of the isetta i once drove.
except i didn't care for the smart transmission at all....
flame away, haas:p
I've wished that we could have Isetta's again. I just remember seeing them as a kid. Can you imagine what would happen to those in the crash tests? :eek:

Sorry to hear that you didn't like the car, would you care to elaborate? I'm looking forward to my test drive, but they won't be in Dallas until mid-October.

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
ASmartMan (aka, AFineMan) of this forum recently requested his deposit back (he bought an '06 G&K conversion smartie). They told him 7 - 10 business days. I'm sure he'll update us on whether it arrived.

In any event, as you say if you don't really need the money, you can always give it another try. I didn't like the tranny in the European testers either, however never got a chance to try it in manual mode. And after the fact I learned about anticipating the shifts and letting up on the gas is supposed to make it smoother. Furthermore, SMART will address this shift issue and hopefully improve on it for the US production fortwos. Maybe its worth another chance......

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Recent Canadian Road Test on 2006 Smart

An article that appeared yesterday (7/31/07) from Auto123.com on a 2006 Diesel Smart in Canada ( http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/roadtest,view,SMART.spy?artid=86435 ), came with this interesting comment...

"My tester came with a semi-standard (no clutch)/auto transmission, and to be honest, at first, I found it rather jumpy when changing gears. It took me a little while to become accustomed to this, but I soon found that if I kept my foot firmly planted on the accelerator and manually changed gear, not only were the shifts smoother, but the little car became quite lively."

I think these transmissions vary in acceptability based upon the driving styles of the owners. If the car is in automatic and driven with a very heavy foot most of the time, the "jumpiness" of the shifting will be much more pronounced. If driven with a light foot in automatic (or better, with the manual mode) the shifting is very smooth. This is not a performance car. If driven like one, the results will be more disappointing both in the gear shifting and the economies of fuel consumption. However, if a person drives in the auto mode and is trying to merge onto a highway with the accelerator floored, they will experience the very noticable gear changing, though it is far from the "head jerking" experience that some have described. I base these comments on our 25,000+ miles that we've put on our smarts since April, 2006.

Ron Gaus, aSmartCar.com

·
Registered
317 Posts
getting money back

haasfogle

SmartCard is correct, I called 1 800 smartusa spoke to a very nice lady, gave her my res. # and she said a check will be mailed in 7-10 days, I'll update when I get it.

On the transmission, I have driven both the 2007 5 speed (for ther USA) and my 2006 EU 6 speed model, I am still in a learning curve but can say in the 36 hours that I have owned my Gray Smart I have learned how to make it shift better than my test drive of the 2007.

These cars are rather different than the cars we are use to, no one wants to re-learn how to ride a bike and driving a Smart is just that re-learning.

In the end (for me anyways) it is a question of MPG, I am willing to re-learn to get the better MPG and accept that it shifts differently than any other car I have driven.

haasfogle just call Smart and you'll get a nice lady and they'll send you your money bach.

Hope it helped

ASM

·
Registered
8 Posts
When I called to get my $99 reservation back since i got an orphan, it was easy and simple. The lady i talked to was so outgoing. I did recieve it within the 7-10 business days. It was funny because then I went to the bank and put it towards my car loan, and they were wondering why Smart was paying me. I told them the story and they thought it was funny. I hope this helps. I love my new smart car!

·
Banned
4,883 Posts
I didn't have to call. I orphaned my reserved car when it can in... I recieved an email from SmartUSA about 2 days later and a check in about 2 weeks. The dealer apparently took care of it.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
I called 2 days ago and cancelled my reservation. I was going to get it and offer it to my family but now with so many available at the dealers, I figure why flood the market, and someone else will get moved up the list. I was told expect a check in 10-15 days.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I went and bought an orphan almost identical to the one I had ordered (color difference only) on December 31, 08, and smart Center Chandler cancelled the reservation for me and I was told 7-10 days too, but after all this time, I have yet to see a check. I do no longer have a DDE, so I know it was cancelled.....guess I had better call them up. I do want my $99 back since it was not attatched to my purchase.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts