Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2008 Smart 451 Passion

I'm interested in adding a boot release to my dash buttons, but want to disable it while not in park. Theoretically that's using the output of s16/2, but what signal does this sensor produce, and what wiring locations are accessible? I'm not a fan of taping into wires in the engine bay.

Other button projects on the list for today;
Factory heated seats my car has no wires
Interior trunk release w/park lockout
Rear fog lights (e.g.lasers from old factory slots)
Speedo LED relocation/replicate - I've got an aftermarket ecu-connected unit with the control switch in the wiper stall. The led can't be easily seen while driving (speed control works great).
Latching pedal remap option, ecu-connected unit has a programmable pedal profile that can be enabled / disabled.

I plan to put it all in next weekend, we shall see how it goes. I'm following evilution and other posts to get it done, but didn't see anyone use the park position sensor as an option in a project.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Similar to a trunk monkey, but "do it yourself old school".

All kidding aside, the Europeans like to call the trunk a boot - to the extent that Smart Car wiring diagrams do also. My 2008 Passion only came with a button on the outside to open the trunk; I'm adding one to the dash.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Turns out you dont need this 90% of the time. I forgot that the doors automatically lock when you start driving, so as long as you dont hit the switch before they lock or do something really stupid like unlock and then hit the switch while driving, the rear latch won't be popped. Of course that's sticking to the factory SAM wiring that activates from the rear switch, if you wire directly to the solenoid then that safety isn't in place.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts