Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Have one of the CE units, have to check on what nav proogram. Works fine but need to see about getting updates some time. Could not get POI's to work but have not really tried. Had problems with button backlights but after troubleshooting found out my dash lights were one step too dim.

·
Registered
775 Posts

Mmm hmmm...

I don't really know anything about Android (all-Apple family here), but Android 4.2.2 is a fairly recent release I think. Anyway, I'm curious to know more about things like screen dimming, etc., whether about the new units or not. It's little things like that, that bug me about aftermarket stuff.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have one of the CE units, have to check on what nav proogram. Works fine but need to see about getting updates some time. Could not get POI's to work but have not really tried. Had problems with button backlights but after troubleshooting found out my dash lights were one step too dim.
Answered my own question......

Looked at the software ..... it's Tom Tom :)

Updated: 8/8/14 :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Came across this product this weekend. It is software for navigation offline without data charges for both iOS and Android devices, makes use of downloaded maps and the internal GPS on your device. Installed it on my Nexus 7 and am so far impressed with the product. It is on sale right now until 9/15; you can download a free demo version that offers all features for 7 days. I am not affiliated with this group in any way.

Sygic | Bringing life to maps

·
Registered
775 Posts
Came across this product this weekend. It is software for navigation offline without data charges for both iOS and Android devices, makes use of downloaded maps and the internal GPS on your device. Installed it on my Nexus 7 and am so far impressed with the product. It is on sale right now until 9/15; you can download a free demo version that offers all features for 7 days. I am not affiliated with this group in any way.

Sygic | Bringing life to maps

Looks like a nice mobile app, but it doesn't integrate with the car, and I think that's probably what attracts most people to in-dash units.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
78 Posts
will these S150 units work in a Smart that has the factory surround sound system? do they really only run on Android 2.3? im a bit confused by different retailers selling different things.. seems if I order from china I can get from ALI-express but nothing about the Faceplate for a later model smart.

im picking up my 2015 this week and it has everything i wanted except NAVI.. seems the S150 would be a perfect thing to have if I can find out that it will work in the later years.. (most of the websites show up through 2010 only...)
-Christopher

·
Registered
775 Posts
will these S150 units work in a Smart that has the factory surround sound system? do they really only run on Android 2.3? im a bit confused by different retailers selling different things.. seems if I order from china I can get from ALI-express but nothing about the Faceplate for a later model smart.

im picking up my 2015 this week and it has everything i wanted except NAVI.. seems the S150 would be a perfect thing to have if I can find out that it will work in the later years.. (most of the websites show up through 2010 only...)
-Christopher
They have versions that fit the '11-up cars. You'll probably have to get the proper DD radio surround to finish it. And I think there's a link in this thread to a newer version running a newer version of Android.

EDIT: Here's a newer version running Android 4.2.2 http://m.aliexpress.com/item/1941586931.html

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thats Exactly what I was looking for!!! Looks Like they sell the CarPlay setup, 3G, cameras, everything I need to get up and running..

Plus being Android I can run my Home automation system from it (including the car tracker that knows when im on my way home so it can activate my House)..

Perfect.. thanks for the Link!!..

the only real remaining question is if it is compatible wit hthe built-in OEM Surround sound my new car has...

im nly familiar with Chrysler / Jeep audio as I found out the Head unit in a Jeep that has upgraded Audio only can connect CAN to the upgraded AMP so it causes issues with Aftermarket Head units.. I dont have any wire diagrams for a ForTwo to see if its the same way.
-Christopher

·
Registered
775 Posts
Thats Exactly what I was looking for!!! Looks Like they sell the CarPlay setup, 3G, cameras, everything I need to get up and running..

Plus being Android I can run my Home automation system from it (including the car tracker that knows when im on my way home so it can activate my House)..

Perfect.. thanks for the Link!!..

the only real remaining question is if it is compatible wit hthe built-in OEM Surround sound my new car has...

im nly familiar with Chrysler / Jeep audio as I found out the Head unit in a Jeep that has upgraded Audio only can connect CAN to the upgraded AMP so it causes issues with Aftermarket Head units.. I dont have any wire diagrams for a ForTwo to see if its the same way.
-Christopher
The radio feeds the amplifier with the standard speaker channels and then the amplifier...amplifies them and splits them to 7 separate channels. I do have a wiring diagram for it, so PM me your email address and I can email it.

·
Registered
78 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
installed my unit last night.. what a nice little setup!!..

I ended up buying the one in the link a couple posts back.. its actually made by HuiFei and seems to have quite a bit of support and love on the xda forums too..

it works pretty good.. has a couple quirks to it.. havent got my elm327 to work with torque yet. the wi-fi is good but doesnt always connect to my phone.. but always does if i leave a hotspot in the car.
it came shipped with the mercedes logo at boot-up but I was able to change it to the smart logo. the dimmer function on it is wacky with the screen flickering if I have my smart car dash brightness set somewhere in between all the way up and all the way down.. no biggie I almost always have it al the way up.

the bezel and such shipped with the unit are as close to factory looking as possible, even down to the curves around the screen and screen bezel shape.. really looks stock.. which should help against theft.

the unit even shipped with an adapter so that you can keep your factory USB port in the glove box. it did not ship with anything to keep the factory analog AUX in, but it has one of its own on the front panel.

I had to buy a terresterial radio antenna adapter as the one they shipped didnt fit the smart. a Volswagen adapter at best buy was cheap and works great.

the unit shipped with all the necessary wiring harness adapters for the smart too.. it is about as close to plug and play as you are gonna get.

if you want to be able to watch video you will have to ground the Brake wire..(it comes not connected). I grounded mine permanently.. I have enough discipline and common sense not to watch movies while im driving...

I mounted my GPS antenna inside the car right at the top of the A-pillar in the plastic trim tucked in the corner so it isnt blocked by the tridion cell metal but is out of view and the sunshade still closes. seems to get a great signal there.

some highlights are if you are an iphone user you connect your iphone and the unit to the same wi-fi network(ie a hotspot) and you can AirPlay your iphone screen to the unit using airpin.

the iONroad app installed is out of date but an update and you have a pretty decent front dashcam / lane departure / collision warning system( if you use the front USB cam).

the sound quality is excellent esp if running it through the factory surround sound system.

it is pure android with full play store so you can load any app you wish.
-Christopher

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've had my unit a few weeks now and I am FINALLY getting ready to install it this weekend :)

The wife and I have been running around to various doctor's appts. and I just haven't made the time ;)

Can't wait :D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts