Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Tesla was traded in at a Southern California dealership over the weekend.

Less than 2500 miles on it, the original MSRP was $125,000, an absolutely loaded car. No waiting line, this one can be yours this week!

·
17,371 Posts
Your dealership? :)

I spot a Mercedes in the window (C-Class?), what appears to be an E-Class behind the Tesla, a white/white smart far right (why is the fuel door not white to match?), and a black/red coloured smart next to it!

Man...I need to get out more... :D

·
Registered
491 Posts
Too much money for me. I wonder what is Tesla's market target with such a expensive car. Doctors, lawyers, business men? What about the average Joe?
I would not pay more than $30K for a car regardless or how good/nice it is.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They don't make cars for the average Joe, that's for sure.
It's a plain old lusury sports car, without the gas engine.

·
Registered
491 Posts
They don't make cars for the average Joe, that's for sure.
It's a plain old lusury sports car, without the gas engine.
Yes they do. Do you know about Toyota? The best car company in the planet. Even Smart is doing excellent with their Smart ForTwo with a really good priced car.

Also, Tesla is going to make a cheaper car because they realized there is a big market on the 30K segment. Smart, Leaf, Honda Fit, Fiat 500E, Spark, Mitsubishi i-MiEV, etc. All these companies are fighting for a piece of that market. There are not many car buyers who are left to pay $85K for the Tesla

·
17,371 Posts
Elon has showed much interest in building a low priced, mass market EV and apparently has one in development plans alongside the Model X.

If there are two companies to invest in right now, it's definitely Tesla and Apple (you may hate Apple, but the company is worth a metric ton).

Unrelated: That thing has YACHT floors!?!?!? Hwaaaat???

·
Registered
491 Posts
Elon has showed much interest in building a low priced, mass market EV and apparently has one in development plans alongside the Model X.

If there are two companies to invest in right now, it's definitely Tesla and Apple (you may hate Apple, but the company is worth a metric ton).

Unrelated: That thing has YACHT floors!?!?!? Hwaaaat???
One of the big problems with the electric car has been the price. Mass production companies expect to profit the same or more than they profit from ICE cars and that is impossible. I understand that car companies exist to make business and profits but they should be more agressive with the price of the electric car.

Mitshubishi is princing theirs @ 23K. Expect less profit but sell more is the key with new techonology

·
Registered
491 Posts
Do you really believe that about apple? They have their days counted though. I guess their fans already noticed that they sell them the same iPhone over and over. The same boring looking phone.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I wonder what the battery pack in that car costs.
Perhaps they don't sell it, they could just lease it or rent it.
How nice it would be to get to the next city and say to the attendant: Please give me a charged battery mine is already exhausted and you are ready to the next 100 miles:)

·
17,371 Posts
Do you really believe that about apple? They have their days counted though. I guess their fans already noticed that they sell them the same iPhone over and over. The same boring looking phone.
Apple's best year (for revenue, stock value, sales, and even profits) was 2012.

It took a huge dip in 2013 due to poor iPhone 5 quality control (admittedly, the 5 is a low point for Apple) and the threat from Google, but has since bounced back and has resumed its business as usual climb.

Unless the iPhone 6 is just the iPhone 5S in new clothes (Tim Cook better not let that crap happen again) I'm fairly certain they'll continue rising. The iPhone 5C is reportedly digging a little into the slightly cheaper phone market where Google's Android is currently keeping hold.

A good thing to remember is that even though Google outsells Apple nearly 3:1, the iPhone still remains vastly more profitable than even the most expensive Android phones. Why? Apple takes from Mercedes and charges up the wall for everything. :wink:

Oh, that brings me to another good company to invest in, Google! While not as valuable as Apple (yet), Google is beginning to take the Internet and technology by storm.

And of course, some concrete evidence as to the current health of Apple:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-09-30/apple-overtakes-coca-cola-as-most-valuable-brand-study-finds.html

Apple and Google hold the top spots for the most profitable companies. The stock price for both companies continue to rise like it isn't anyone's business. :D

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes they do. Do you know about Toyota? The best car company in the planet. Even Smart is doing excellent with their Smart ForTwo with a really good priced car.

Also, Tesla is going to make a cheaper car because they realized there is a big market on the 30K segment. Smart, Leaf, Honda Fit, Fiat 500E, Spark, Mitsubishi i-MiEV, etc. All these companies are fighting for a piece of that market. There are not many car buyers who are left to pay $85K for the Tesla
The cheapest car Tesla makes is over $60,000, but if you consider that a car for the "average joe" then I'm not even average I guess. By 2015, Tesla MAY have a car that starts at $40,000, still too high for my taste. And definitely not average in price.

Do I know about Toyota? What kind of a question is that?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here are a couple more Tesla photos if you are interested.

1) They have definitely solved my complaint about the Smart Ed's lack of illumination at the charger door.

2) The dash; OMG! It looks like a 20" hi-def monitor turned sideways. The Nav can be displayed with Google Earth so that you actually see the city/buildings/ landscape that you are driving through. There are no buttons or knobs, it is all touch-screen, even the climate control at the bottom. It is an incredible display.

And lastly, it drives like a rocket on rails. HUGE torque, scary-fast if you floor it. And it jumps from 65 to 90 so fast you don't even realize it.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Too much money for me. I wonder what is Tesla's market target with such a expensive car. Doctors, lawyers, business men? What about the average Joe?
I would not pay more than $30K for a car regardless or how good/nice it is.

You obviously don't follow Tesla or the great Elon Musk, a cheaper car will be coming in the near future. That has always been Elons goal but its not possible right now.

TESLA: We Will Probably Reveal Our Mass Market Car At The 2015 Detroit Auto Show - Business Insider

There is no way Tesla could sell cheap cars from the beginning, it will happen once they've made enough money. So every Model S owner is to thank for being an early adopter because they are all paving the way for a more affordable Tesla for the rest of us. :)

And the Model S is the most technologically advanced car on the road, there's no way it would be priced for the "average joe". There is no car like it (or better than it) it's in its own class of greatness and epicness.

What's there to change? The iPhone is perfection, there is no better looking phone than it. It looks like pure quality, all those other samsung/android phones are laughable. I've had iPhones since 2009 and have never had any problems with them and have always loved how they look. I don't want it to change because there is nothing to change, I am completely satisfied with it. And nothing beats a black iPhone, especially with the black aniline leather case. :cool:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts