Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2017 453 ForTwo Coupe ED
534 Posts
What year? If I remember correctly, 2018 and later nav work with android auto out of the box, but carplay was only added after the facelift (~2020). There is a tricky way to get android auto on earlier units, but I don't know of any way to add carplay to the any units that don't have it. I think the guys over at XDA have figured a way to mirror an iphone through android auto, but it may require having an android phone plugged into the car at the same time. Unless you have a recent 453, I think your reasonable options are get an android phone (I like my Pixel) or replace the nav unit with an aftermarket one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What year? If I remember correctly, 2018 and later nav work with android auto out of the box, but carplay was only added after the facelift (~2020). There is a tricky way to get android auto on earlier units, but I don't know of any way to add carplay to the any units that don't have it. I think the guys over at XDA have figured a way to mirror an iphone through android auto, but it may require having an android phone plugged into the car at the same time. Unless you have a recent 453, I think your reasonable options are get an android phone (I like my Pixel) or replace the nav unit with an aftermarket one.
My cars are made in 2018. Indeed I have android auto already, but I'm iOS user :)
Someone retrofit the main unit to new one 2020?
Replacing original one with aftermarket one is not a solution, I have camera, and UI is great :)
Thank for reply

·
Registered
7 Posts
Also, I found this pioneer that aesthetically would work very well in the smart car:
Mobile phone Telephony Telephone Communication Device Mobile device

It is a pioneer I found only in Europe. Do you know if I can find someone who can install it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My cars are made in 2018. Indeed I have android auto already, but I'm iOS user :)
Someone retrofit the main unit to new one 2020?
Replacing original one with aftermarket one is not a solution, I have camera, and UI is great :)
Thank for reply
Hello there! Once you already have android auto there, wouldnt a carlink dongle do the job? (35.64€ 41% de desconto|Carlinkit sem fio carplay android auto usb dongle para modificado android host carro multimídia jogador bluetooth conexão automática ios| | - AliExpress)

·
Registered
2017 453 ForTwo Coupe ED
534 Posts
The dongles work with an android head unit, but not specifically an android-auto compatible unit that uses the phone for android auto. I don't think they will work with the factory unit, but would work with a replacement android-based head unit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The dongles work with an android head unit, but not specifically an android-auto compatible unit that uses the phone for android auto. I don't think they will work with the factory unit, but would work with a replacement android-based head unit.
Anyone with this setup would like to give it a try🤨?
Another “dirty” solution then could be attach a dongle to an android phone and mirror link the screen to the 453 head unit… I’ve tried one of those dongles in an android tablet and worked beautifully but never tried with an android phone…

·
Registered
2017 453 ForTwo Coupe ED
534 Posts
Yeah, I'd like that Alpine, but about 10% of what I paid for my Smart... I've got the base radio, so one of these days I'll probably put an e-bay android unit in it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts