Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 659 Posts

·
Banned
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for "Members" of this "Club" ONLY.

I would just like to see 'who' and 'how many' have made a switch to put the same size tires/wheels on the front AND back?

They don't have to be OEM wheels/tires, just as long as you have the same size at all four corners.

I know there's already a thread or two 'discussing' this. THIS IS NOT THAT THREAD. I'm only looking as to who and why.....PLEASE no discussions or opinions from those who are NOT a member of this "Club".

SIMPLY list WHAT 'mod' you made (OEM or Aftermarket, wheel and tire size, brand...etc) and WHY you did it.

Feel free to post pics TOO! :D

Thank You! :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
I made the change last month to OEM 9 Spoke rears and tires added to the front. Did this so I could rotate my tires. Just made sense to me. The plus... I now have a spare to carry with me.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Give a guy some wheels and look at what happens:

What a snob !!!!! :p

No more Bamboo for you Panda :eek:

"ONLY MEMBERS" HA! :D

(You KNEW I couldn't reisist!) :)

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,093 Posts
I switched to Rial 15x6 rims and 195/50 Yokohama tires all the way around in January after putting about 6K miles on the OEM wheels/tires. I now have almost 15K miles on the new setup.

I changed for a) better ride, b) better handling, c) better look on the car (wider tires), d) better looking/easier to clean rim design, e) more readily available common tire size.

I have rotated the new setup twice after installation: once front to back on the same side and front to back swapping sides the next time.

I have been very pleased with the enhancement in appearance and performance. My fuel mileage has been basically unaffected (see recent fuelly.com entries).

·
Banned
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the feedback.

"Chief".....I'll deal with YOU later! You KNOW that 'no bamboo' makes for a VERY grumpy Panda. Yes, even GRUMPIER than normal! :p

Got my OEM rears to put on the front yesterday, but I've been busy running errands and stuff this AM and now that I have the time, it's warming up and RAINING. But I hope to have them on either later today or tomorrow AM.

I'll post some pics to show the difference in stance, clearance, etc. I'm doing it in hopes that it improves the ride on the interstate AND so I can rotate them (and have a spare too). I happen to like the look of the OEM 9 spoke Alloys, so I'm quite happy to keep that look. When the 175/55R15's wear out, I 'may' go with 195/50R15's, but it will be pushing the limits of the rim width.

Thanks again 'members' and the one 'non-member' for your feedback! :D

·
Banned
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Big difference noticed in the ride just on our 'test drive' locally. Can't wait to get it out on the interstate and check it out. VERY HAPPY we did this! :D

A BIG THANKS to my wife, 'Deer 1', for going along with this mod and of course to 'Barney O', who was kind enough to 'make the drop' and pick up the 'ransom money' in TH and make this happen!

:spots:

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
I bought four DeCorsa 15x6 rims (two back pairs), and added Kumho 195/50's on them. The ride is a bit smoother (I haven't gotten on the highway in any wind yet to test stability), but the steering seems to be a bit more sensitive now. Although the tires are uni-directional, I did it more to get all four tires into a more common size, where I can expect to find a supplier local to where-ever I am (unless I break down in the middle of Iowa, or Death Valley). Rotating the tires would be nice, but with the tires set up at angles like they are, I would have to have the tires un-mounted and moved around, just like with the OEM's, so I really haven't bought anything there, other than being able to move front to back, and visa-versa. Plus, they look real nice... (always a plus!)

·
Red Roller Skate
3,895 Posts
Is it ok to rotate left to right (front right to front left, back left to back right) since to get better wear on factory tires?>

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
...no change in wear pattern from lt/rt ....now...removing the tire from the rim and flipping them in the rim will give a better, longer lasting tire...

jetfuel

·
Red Roller Skate
3,895 Posts
...no change in wear pattern from lt/rt ....now...removing the tire from the rim and flipping them in the rim will give a better, longer lasting tire...

jetfuel
Glad I asked as I'm getting close to 5k and was going to do a rotation like that but I see your point.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Count me in. I changed over to Rial 15x6s with 195/50 General Exclaim UHPs about 15,000 miles/9months ago when the car was new.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Me, too~!

Bought another set of factory rims/tires and installed the rears on the front. Sold off all but one of the fronts - kept one for use as a spare.
Running factory tires, too. 175-15's all four corners. Good ride, great handling and I can rotate when needed.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Bought another set of factory rims/tires and installed the rears on the front. Sold off all but one of the fronts - kept one for use as a spare.
Running factory tires, too. 175-15's all four corners. Good ride, great handling and I can rotate when needed.
Me too. Except I still have both fronts. If someone needs a spare PM me.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm not a member yet, but I will be by the end of the week. I have a set of Rial 15x6's on the way from tire rack with a pair of the stock 175/55 conti's to go on the front. The rear's will be remounted onto the new wheels.

I'm thinking about using one of the fronts as a spare but there doesn't seem to be a lot of room for it behind the passenger seat. Are you guys actually finding that it fits ok?

·
Banned
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm not a member yet, but I will be by the end of the week. I have a set of Rial 15x6's on the way from tire rack with a pair of the stock 175/55 conti's to go on the front. The rear's will be remounted onto the new wheels.

I'm thinking about using one of the fronts as a spare but there doesn't seem to be a lot of room for it behind the passenger seat. Are you guys actually finding that it fits ok?
Uh, no. I did see a smart at our Indy Eagle Creek outing a month ago. 'Someone' had modified the tailgate compartment so that the spare would lay flat on the floor. You lose most of the room in the tailgate, but you gain a spare. Seems like a decent trade-off for me.

Anyone know who's car that was and if they're a member here?

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,093 Posts
One other advantage I've noticed is less front end 'squirminess' behind semis, but high wind gusts still affect the car about the same.

I mentioned how much I like the look of the wider tires on the car, but I also prefer the fact that the wider rims/tires come out flush with the fender. I always think that looks better than a noticeable fender overhang.

I'll also mention that my car doesn't have power steering and I don't believe the wider fronts increased steering effort any noticeable amount at low speeds.

·
Registered
396 Posts
My 15x6 Rials and 195/50 Generals were mounted 18K ago. They give me front end tightness an excellent cornering. Low speed maneuverability is a breeze even with my non-power steering. A floor jack raises a side, making radial tire rotation easy.

·
Registered
590 Posts
My car also underwent a tire and wheel change - 195/50-15's and 15x6 Rials on all four corners.
Reason - permitted unencumbered rotation, better handling (less understeer, more sure-footed, quicker turn-in), smoother and more stable ride, more readily available tire size and cheaper price, wheels look better and are easier to clean.

The 195/50-15's were chosen because they were almost an exact diameter replacement, because they are a common size and easily available, because they look good on this car, because they have a softer sidewall and less harsh ride, because the price was right.

An original front tire mounted on the OEM wheel does fit nicely behind the passenger seat still leaving good leg room for the passenger. The tire is covered with a vinyl tire cover. The jack fits behind the driver's seat.

1 - 20 of 659 Posts