Smart Car of America Forum banner

481 - 500 of 649 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi guys- I'd like to upgrade my rims/tires and "join the club". I'm curious, do I need to worry about purchasing new TPMS sensors when buying rims? This is for a 2013 Passion Coupe.

Steve

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi guys- I'd like to upgrade my rims/tires and "join the club". I'm curious, do I need to worry about purchasing new TPMS sensors when buying rims? This is for a 2013 Passion Coupe.

Steve
Skoone68 you will be able to use your current sensors so long as they are not malfunctioning or get damaged when being removed.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hi Carlos- Yeah I was just informed of my options and I sorted it out. Thanks!
A little cautionary note from my personal experience. When my Genius Darwins were installed, the dealer pointed out to me when mounting the tires that the TPMS sensor sticks up on a little bit of an angle instead of flat like it is on the factory wheels, and there was inherently some risk in mounting the tire as a result. They had concern that the sensor would snap off when putting the bead over it. They exercised their best caution and all went well, but please make sure you're installer is fully aware of this ahead of time. Make sure you either have your installer use a rebuild kit, or provide them yourself, to ensure that the TPMS sensors are secure and have a good seal -don't reuse the old seals, valves, and nuts.

You won't regret the larger tires/wheels all around -best modification I've ever made to my smart. They fill in the fenders/quarters a little more too, and it looks great. Enjoy, can't wait to see your wheel/tire selection on yours.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just joined with stock rear set with the 175/55 for the present. Will have to play around with tire pressure 36psi seems a little hard on my first run to Va.
Definitely corners better.

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,074 Posts
Just joined with stock rear set with the 175/55 for the present. Will have to play around with tire pressure 36psi seems a little hard on my first run to Va.
You should definitely drop the PSI for those tires on the front since there's not much weight up front. Stick with the stock 29 PSI or a little lower.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I run 36 and I was surprised how smooth it still was, HOWEVER I have 185/60's which are wider and taller so they are a bigger balloon and aren't as hard. Plus different tire companies have different side walls that greatly impact the ride quality. I run Michelins and they are known for a soft ride.

Russ

·
Registered
119 Posts
Finally! I figured out how to post some images. It took dumb bell here half the afternoon to make it work. It's still not coming out the way I wanted it to but I guess it will have to do.

Anyway, presenting my Carolina Blue Munchkin! I am now a member of the Club even though I feel like I'm years off from the rest of you lot. :p

Attachments

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
The magic number for me (also running 175/55 front and rear) is 26-27 psi front tires and 36 psi in the rear tires.:)

·
Registered
249 Posts
I joined the club yesterday - stock rear rims and Yokohama Avid Ascend 185/55's all the way around. I would love to give a glowing ride report, but it has been below freezing here for some time, today it was -6 when I hit the road - so needless to say the roads are pretty bad and I don't see a lot of difference at this time. The steering is definitely twitchy-er and it still seems to like the grooves on one of the highways I drive. I would post photos but the Sleigh is covered in salt and there is nasty looking ice encrusted in the wheel wells. I do like the way the fronts fill the wheel wells though... We will see how this works out when the weather gets to a reasonable temperature. Will post photos when I can wash the Sleigh - which at the going rate will be April some time...

Weather warmed up - here are some photos...side view with the new tires:

Rear tire close up:

Front tire close up:

Front tire showing tread design:

After a couple days of driving on them I really like the softer 'bumps' in the road. I am not a fan of how sensitive they are to ANY movement - either of the wheel or of the grooves in the road. They do seem to handle wind a bit better - but it feels like it is because the tires have more 'give' to them. They do quite well in the snow, and I have not had a chance to try them in the rain yet.

Still not warm/dry/not-icy enough to try anything aggressive. Guess that will have to wait for spring. I kept one front wheel/tire for a spare - still trying to figure out how everyone says it fits behind the front seat. When I try I have to move the seat quite a bit forward and I don't find driving it comfortable anymore. Am I missing something? The other front wheel I would be glad to sell to anyone who needs one - send me a PM with an offer I can't refuse :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Woo-hoo!

I'm FINALLY a member! I picked up some 9 spoke rims a few weekends ago (Thanks, Mike!) and just found some used 175/55-15s that will last until its time to upgrade to some 185s or 195s.

The pic I took isn't that great, but we've had [email protected] weather most of the day. I'll take more tomorrow. Might have the whole set powder coated in black next tire swap...

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=17625

Got the pressures @ 30/40 since that's the only numbers I remembered off the top of my head from the post. Will be lowering them tomorrow.

Thanks for all the info provided by this post from all you members who pitched in! :D

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hmmmm...

Been driving the car for about 3-4 days now with the Conti 175s on the front and just today, I ran into a rubbing issue. I took a couple tight corners (intersections) with a bit of speed and got a rubbing sound from the front. Once it even managed to set off the traction warning light.

Is this something to be expected when running the bigger tires in the front?

I suppose speed is an issue creating too much lean and causing interference with the tire and the wheel well/fender. Either that or the shocks aren't doing their job...

Let me know if you have any input. Thanks in advance for any info/ advice,

-Chance

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I run 175's on all 4 corners and have done a lot of canyon carving without any rubbing issues. I have even had wheel lift & still no rubbing issues. I am running Conti's on all 4 corners.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Joining the club next week. Ordered 15x6.5 O.Z. wheels with 195/50 tires today which should be here Monday. Excited to get them on and then decide what to do with my brabus wheels.

·
Registered
100 Posts
After some exhausting research (in the school's bus loop) I found that the rubbing occurs during moderate to heavy left hand cornering (passenger front tire) but nothing during a right hand turn. Sure sign of a shock/strut failing? (My guess)
I want to narrow it down before I start replacing parts all willy-nilly.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Got a surprise via UPS today:) After a scramble to find the right socket to remove the wheel bolts, I got my O.Z.'s installed! Thrilled with the new look. I think it looks a lot meaner now with the same size wheels on all 4 corners.

Hard to judge the driving and handling in sub zero temps, but it feels a little smoother than it did with the brabus wheels and tires, so I'm very pleased.

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Got a surprise via UPS today:) After a scramble to find the right socket to remove the wheel bolts, I got my O.Z.'s installed! Thrilled with the new look. I think it looks a lot meaner now with the same size wheels on all 4 corners.

Hard to judge the driving and handling in sub zero temps, but it feels a little smoother than it did with the brabus wheels and tires, so I'm very pleased.
Post up a pic...

481 - 500 of 649 Posts