Smart Car of America Forum banner

521 - 540 of 675 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Curious. Why do you have 20mm spacers on the rears? Is this something for looks or because or the Rials? I have 195s on mine and they don't rub front or rear.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Curious. Why do you have 20mm spacers on the rears? Is this something for looks or because or the Rials? I have 195s on mine and they don't rub front or rear.
I didn't like the way the top of the wheel looked, tucked into the quarter, due to the 2 degree angle.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I made the switch to running all four the same size as the Passion rears back in 2011. I installed a set of Falken ZIEX 912 195/50/15's and the car handled much better and the tire/road noise went away compared to the stock Conti's. I am ready to replace the Falken's as they have about 60K miles now and are worn out.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I made the switch to running all four the same size as the Passion rears back in 2011. I installed a set of Falken ZIEX 912 195/50/15's and the car handled much better and the tire/road noise went away compared to the stock Conti's. I am ready to replace the Falken's as they have about 60K miles now and are worn out.
You must have had a better luck than my 2011 Pure w/Falken ZIEX 912, worn out with 15K miles... switched to using 185/60 x15 on rear... better riding tire BUT not sure about using these on front ?! no issues w/195/50x15 on front.:|

·
Registered
195 Posts
No there isn't. The 195s are a perfect fit. Ya 15000 miles is pretty bad for a set of 912s. I had close 50000 on the ones I had on my accord. 912s are now discontinued I have the new 950s and they are noticeably better then the 912s

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just picked up my two new rear wheels. I have the 3 spoke wheels on my 2013 Cabriolet and could not find used wheels so $608.48 for the two. Still waiting for the two tire pressure sensors costing another $102.00 for the two, Mercedes wanted $144.00 each and Smart madness wanted $99.00 each. I have already replaced the back tires and will get the two front tires first week of January, Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring 195/55R15's I will post a follow up after they are on and I see how well
they perform.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Just picked up my two new rear wheels. I have the 3 spoke wheels on my 2013 Cabriolet and could not find used wheels so $608.48 for the two. Still waiting for the two tire pressure sensors costing another $102.00 for the two, Mercedes wanted $144.00 each and Smart madness wanted $99.00 each. I have already replaced the back tires and will get the two front tires first week of January, Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring 195/55R15's I will post a follow up after they are on and I see how well
they perform.
Use these guys next time TPMS fits Smart Fortwo Tire Pressure Sensors

You can get singles too :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
That is who I used and they were out of the $46.00 each tpms's ($92.00 per set ones) so they sent their top of the line $195.00 per set ones. Isn't that cool!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Tires, TPMS, Wheels and Smart are to be mated Monday 12/22/2014. Almost like Christmas, can't wait to open the package and play with it! planning on giving Her a spa day at the local Auto detailer some time in January.

·
Registered
46 Posts
As of 16:42 hours on 12/22/2014 at 44,401 miles on my 2013 Smart I can now rotate tires. She has Cooper 195/55 R15 CS5 Ultra touring tires on smart three spoke wheels all around.

·
Registered
5 Posts
OK, so I am new here and we just purchased a 2010 Smart. So where is the cheapest place to find matching wheels in the larger size for the front. Is there a place other than the dealer to find OEM or look-a-like wheels?
Kent

·
Super Moderator
29,250 Posts
:welcome: to SCoA! :)

Check eBay & parts marketplace here or give Smart Madness in California a call - they may have some take off stockers.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just completed my new wheels, here's the setup:

Wheels: Genius Smart Car, Model: Darwin, Finish: Gun Metal, Size: 15x6.5
$681 Genius Smart Car Darwin Gun Metal Wheels For Sale & Genius Smart Car Darwin Rims And Tires
Lugnuts Dorman Wheel Lock Set - M12-1.50 Metric, Spline Drive
$36.05 Dorman® - Wheel Lock Set
Tires bfg g-Force Sport COMP-2 195/50R-15
$369.88 http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+Sport+COMP-2
Installation ~$90, I got the car lowered during the installation as well

Lugnuts haven't arrived yet but here's a photo of the wheels. Total cost was about $1180.

The ride is a lot smoother; I don't feel every little bump in the road anymore, cornering is better, the car is more stable and isn't blown around by the wind anymore, top speed increased from 81mph to 87mph (checked via Scangauge 2 & gps)

I am looking to sell off my factory rear wheels if anyone is interested; where would be a good place to do this?

·
Banned
844 Posts
thanks, i've been driving for years without TPMS on my aftermarket wheels/tires, i had the stock set on the last 5 months for winter and was changing them out today. i'm not happy with the winter performance of my Kumho Ecsta AST's 195/50-15's (they SUCK on ice and snow) and will get better all season tires this fall

521 - 540 of 675 Posts