Smart Car of America Forum banner
601 - 620 of 675 Posts
vadsoom, that's a reasonable tire diameter so it should fit fine. It'll take some of the more experienced members here to help, but the questions you'll need to answer will probably be:

- Where is it rubbing?
- When does it rub?
- What offset are your wheels?
- What suspension modifications have you done?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think it's rubbing on the springs during cornering. The top of the tire looks like it's only about 10mm from the spring, but to be honest, I'm not entirely sure.

I took both off and don't see any rub marks so I'm a bit puzzled.

It only happens when in relatively tight cornering at faster speeds where I would expect a bit of body roll.

I just replaced both front wheel bearings, but other than that, there are no mods.

I don't know what he offset is. I just put the rims on OEM rotors and drums.

Thank you for getting back to me. Your advice is always welcome and appreciated. I don't post much here, but I read everything.

vadsoom, I just checked my stock front suspension setup and I have about 20 mm from the tire to the spring, so if you are using a 195 tire instead of my 155 front tire, that's expected. I took a quick peek around the wheelwell and don't see anything else that looks like it could rub.

It's unusual to think it could be rubbing the spring. The geometry of the front suspension is such that the top of the spring cants away from the tire, so that as the wheel is pushed upwards, the spring gets further away.

Normally when you get rubbing during tight cornering, the outside of the tire rubs the wheelwell opening or the wheelwell liner inside of the fender lip. That's why you hear of people running wide tires or lowered suspension say they need to "roll their fenders" - they bend the lip on the inside of the fender upward to give a bit more clearance because that's typically where contact happens.

Otherwise, since I'm a newer Smart owner, this is beyond my level of experience and maybe someone else can help.

I think it's rubbing on the springs during cornering. The top of the tire looks like it's only about 10mm from the spring, but to be honest, I'm not entirely sure.
Rubber against plastic (inner fender) sounds a great deal different than tire against spring. The closest suspension point to the wheel/tire is the lower spring perch. If the tire is rubbing there, the tire/wheel would not move freely when mounted. You have the soft factory suspension with an oversized tire, rubbing on the inner fender. If you want it to go away you need an OE sized tire.

Rubber against plastic (inner fender) sounds a great deal different than tire against spring. The closest suspension point to the wheel/tire is the lower spring perch. If the tire is rubbing there, the tire/wheel would not move freely when mounted. You have the soft factory suspension with an oversized tire, rubbing on the inner fender. If you want it to go away you need an OE sized tire.

Crap.... I'm going to put the original tires back i until I figure out what the problem is.

Do you notice a loss in fuel mileage with the larger, wider tires? I've only put about 50 miles on these tires, and I can already see a difference.

Wider, stickier tires have more rolling resistance. Also, the larger rims place more weight further away from the axis of rotation, so the moment of inertia is increased. This means it takes more power to spin up the wheels, and unless you have an electric car, that energy is lost when you use the brakes. Last significant factor is that aerodynamic drag is greater with the larger tires too.

These factors all will decrease your fuel economy, and the tradeoff is only worth it if you intend to use the extra performance the tires can give you, or if you just really love the look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are YOU a Member of the "I Can Rotate My Tires Club"?

Hmmm. Things to think about...

I LOVE the looks of the Darwins, but I'm sold on the performance during a 15 hour multi-state drive in heavy rain. They held the road admirably! I'm just not as keen on the MPG loss. I still want to rotate my tires, but maybe these aren't the way for me.

Is anyone interested in trading OEM rims for 4 17x6 Genius Darwin rims with new Yokohama 195/45R17 tires and brand new TPS sensors?? PM me if interested.

YEP! $125 for 2 Rear Passion Rims, tires, TPS and center caps.
All local no shipping involved.
I thought it was a good price I didn't even haggle.

Needless to say I'm going to have 2 front rims with Newer tires FOR SALE soon.
I'm thinking $20 each plus any shipping

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....I am so mad right now, my wife and I left for Tennessee this past Monday, I left the Smart in the garage as we took her car, well, my son took the Smart out and about without bothering to ask. We got home last night and everything seemed normal, well this morning I got up to change the oil and noticed that the right front wheel now has curb rash on it, of course he didn't do it. Just to update everyone, I have Brabus 17" wheels all around, and these aren't cheap wheels either, ggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....I am so mad right now, my wife and I left for Tennessee this past Monday, I left the Smart in the garage as we took her car, well, my son took the Smart out and about without bothering to ask. We got home last night and everything seemed normal, well this morning I got up to change the oil and noticed that the right front wheel now has curb rash on it, of course he didn't do it. Just to update everyone, I have Brabus 17" wheels all around, and these aren't cheap wheels either, ggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!
Like $630.00 each at the dealer....So sorry to hear about your wheel damage.

Will I die if I put two front wheels on the rear for the better fuel economy?
No, but you will sacrifice handling capabilities for the sake of minimal fuel economy.
Smart is not a very economical car considering its size and weight. Sixteen years ago, a 1992 GEO METRO 2 door 4 passenger hatchback with manual trans.
Got better mpg than a smart. I rented quite few back in the day. Somewhat fun to drive.
MPG: Up to 46 city / 50 highway
Engine: 1.0 L 3-cylinder
Horsepower: 52 hp

Will I die if I put two front wheels on the rear for the better fuel economy?
Welcome to SCoA! There is a reason the rear tires are wider than the front tires. smart engineers have done everything they can to make sure the car doesn't oversteer so my advice is to leave well enough alone. :)

601 - 620 of 675 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.