Smart Car of America Forum banner

661 - 675 of 675 Posts

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,701 Posts
Congratulations!

Realizing it's cold weather (30% off) degradation season - any noticeable impact on range???

·
Registered
98 Posts
Possibly a little, but with the widely variable temperatures here in Charlotte, it's hard to say. I drove 30 miles of mixed highway/city miles to work this morning in low 50s weather and it used 9.8kWh of energy according to OVMS, with a remaining SOH of 35.3%. Usually it would be 40-45%. I might be getting some reduced mileage.

·
Registered
98 Posts
On Monday morning the 24th, during a similar drive, I used 8.6kWh of energy but the temps for my drive were about 5 degrees warmer.

On the 17th, same drive, it was 35 degrees for my morning commute and I used 9.5kWh.

I guess I need to monitor it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just installed 4 x 185 55 15 tires on 4 x used steel rims approx $150 can. 4 used 185 55 15 take off less then 2400 km's $150 can, new valve stems $1.56, wheel paint free, install and balance $75.76, Total $177.32 can. or $281.60 US funds.

Even my wife states it's worth every penny

·
Registered
99 Posts
Now in regards to tire pressure for the new tires I found this calculator

·
Registered
99 Posts
Now this calculator take into consideration the size, and weight rating of the tire, and then calculates this against the manufacturers recommendation for amount of weight for the factory tire, and now computes the difference necessary for the new size of tire.

In my case the front psi went from 29 to 22 psi a reduction of 7 psi. The rear then went from 36 to 31 psi a reduction of 5 psi.

·
Registered
155 Posts
22 psi for the fronts is low.
The calculation is a 'static' measure, and turning the fronts with a 55 aspect ratio tire the sidewalls will roll...
Probably ok for a low aspect ratio tire like a 35 or 40.

·
Registered
99 Posts
the calculator has taken into consideration of the 55 series tire, however due to the extremely low weight per tire on the front end the program calculates this and takes this into effect.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Now have said the above, I have changed the suspension by adding the ED springs from a 2015 model. This has now allowed me to install 185/65/15 Continental tires on all 4 corners. At present 32 psi on front and 28 on rear.
IMG_1594.jpeg

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm not a member yet, but I will be by the end of the week. I have a set of Rial 15x6's on the way from tire rack with a pair of the stock 175/55 conti's to go on the front. The rear's will be remounted onto the new wheels.

I'm thinking about using one of the fronts as a spare but there doesn't seem to be a lot of room for it behind the passenger seat. Are you guys actually finding that it fits ok?
I went with factory rear wheels for the front to increase handling (no more understeer) and to rotate tires. I built an inverted T bracket on the tow mounts, the top hooks into the rain gutter of the tailgate (cabriolet) and bolted a front wheel for a spare. Bracket is offset so the spare is centered. Sharp looking Continental kit!

·
Registered
294 Posts
I went with factory rear wheels for the front to increase handling (no more understeer) and to rotate tires. I built an inverted T bracket on the tow mounts, the top hooks into the rain gutter of the tailgate (cabriolet) and bolted a front wheel for a spare. Bracket is offset so the spare is centered. Sharp looking Continental kit!
Sounds cool! Picture! I’ve got Kumho 125/80-15 donut spares on 4.5 inch factory front Steel rims behind the passenger seat for my 3 smarts right now, in case of tire problems. Fit pretty well.Seat still has some play.

661 - 675 of 675 Posts