Smart Car of America Forum banner

What price would you pay for a gray market smart fortwo?

• Total voters
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Admin emeritus
3,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you tired of the wait for the smart usa launch of the Smart fortwo?

Have you considered purchasing a gray market smart fortwo?

Would you purchase one if they were cheaper?

How long are you willing to wait to get your smart fortwo?

·
Registered
106 Posts
don't do it. the smart is getting an upgrade, even if you get a grey market car for $12,000 it won't be worth anywhere near that once the new improved models hit the streets. parts for the old style could be a problem. yes, you will have the only one in the neighborhood for a while, but if you are on the list now you will be getting one of the first ones anyway.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm not so tired of the wait as much as I am tired of the ambiguity, specifically on the MPG.

I do not want to buy a grey market smart.

I'd like the 12K version.

Let me get back to you in February as to how long I'll wait.

Question: Why can't I just buy a Canadian model?

·
Registered
255 Posts

If they what over $14,500 for my passion, it'll be resold. I'm wanting a pure with wheels and a/c or a stripped down passion ( minus sun roof, stereo, paddle shift). I do expect SMART to increase their price by a good $3k before it shows up @ the dealer. If it was being sold as a chrysler, forget about getting more then 12k fully loaded.
BTW, i've been on the list since early april.
Buying my first new car
Buying to get fuel economy
buying due to fits in garage

·
Registered
10 Posts
If they prices go much over their projection, I will merely buy the Hyundai Accent - 3 door,, which you can get for a base of around 10k. With the options I want/need (AC/stereo/windows/door-locks,etc) they sticker at $12,235. Most likely, about 32mpg. Yes,, that is not Smart mileage, but again,, if the Smart goes much above their projected prices, the difference in monthly payment will about equal the difference in gas. All in all, I hope Smart keeps their word and prices the cars as they have initially stated.

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
If they prices go much over their projection, I will merely buy the Hyundai Accent - 3 door,, which you can get for a base of around 10k. With the options I want/need (AC/stereo/windows/door-locks,etc) they sticker at $12,235. Most likely, about 32mpg. Yes,, that is not Smart mileage, but again,, if the Smart goes much above their projected prices, the difference in monthly payment will about equal the difference in gas. All in all, I hope Smart keeps their word and prices the cars as they have initially stated.
On the otherhand, you know your slightly higher monthly payment will be fixed over the next 4 or 5 years. What if gas prices double by the end of the loan - for sure the Smart would have been cheaper longterm!

Bentoutofshape said:
If they what over $14,500 for my passion, it'll be resold. I'm wanting a pure with wheels and a/c or a stripped down passion ( minus sun roof, stereo, paddle shift). I do expect SMART to increase their price by a good $3k before it shows up @ the dealer. If it was being sold as a chrysler, forget about getting more then 12k fully loaded.
stripped down passion = pure ! :p

I predict the final list prices will be within $1000 of those currently listed, I don't think Smart will be able to justify anything more just because it had to be modded for US safety and emmission standards.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Zap G&K and Smart Automobile

Here's some information I found on the arduous course the smart car has taken over these many years.

Let's start with the initial deception.

Smart-Automobile LLC's and their domain was the start of the circus environment the smart car has caused.

Smart-Automobile can be traced back to 2003, when their domain came on line. http://www.smartcar-usa.com

This site was very similar to smart USA's old web site and is still up and running. http://smartcarusa.digitaldistrict.de/

The domain was nothing more than a lead generator. A one page, nicely published site that went nowhere, with no information, details, any Smart car content or real association to the Smart Car, till around April of 2004, again similar to smart USA's site.

All hype and no bite.

Mr. Heidemann the ring master asserted Smart-Automobiles LLC was an independent, privately-held company. He claimed to administer the direct importation and modification of automobiles to meet U.S. standards. Smart-Automobile LLC and its owner Thomas Heidemann represented to the NHTSA that he was part of Smart Automobile, Inc., when on July 18, 2003 he sent a report on behalf of Smart Automobile, Inc., through his attorney Mr. Ginsburg, to Mr. Sachs, chief of the NHTSA.

He was actual a contractor from Germany.

Regarding J.K. Technologies, the very first registered importer who petitioned for smart cars approval. Mr. Heidemann said they failed to carry their burden of proof that the 2003-2004 Smart Cars are eligible for importation and sale in the United States, and he request that J.K. Technologies petition be denied.

His comments to NHTSA basically tossed, J.K. Technologies under the wheels of the bus of the NHTSA and DOT, stopping the process right in its tracks!
Six days after Heidemann's bogus document was filed, a Jody M. Foster representing Mercedes-Benz USA L.L.C. filed for an extension on the same petition made by J.K. Technologies.

On the grounds they (Mercedes-Benz USA L.L.C.) needed more time due to the "sufficient engineering data had been submitted to enable NHTSA to make a determination whether the proposed vehicle is eligible for importation".

How can a manufactor monitor this process regarding their own products? Do not believe for one second both Heidemann and Mercedes-Benz USA did not have their own agenda.

In the mean time Heidemann who had worked with J.K. Technologies tossed them under the wheels of the NHTSA and DOT bus, stopping their process right in its tracks!

Smart-Automobile LLC's then hired registered importer G&K Automotive Conversion to do the modification for the Smart cars. I assume Smart-Automobile LLC, selected G&K Automotive Conversion and not Zap.

However, because of greed or just plain stupidity G&K Automotive Conversion petitioned for importation and sale of the cars but added 2002 models which meant the process had to start over. Then they compounded the felony by claiming to want to import 15,000 cars a year. This raised flags and put them into a different position of prominence. Making Zap a real car manufactor.

On May 11, 2004 SMART-Automobile LLC (Heidemann) signed a $10 million agreement with Zap. Making them, Zap the exclusive smart distributor. Something Heidemann had no genuine right or qualifications to allege and Zap had no right to assert. It would be like making me king of my city!

Heidemann got a million bucks cash of Zap's stockholders money and an additional 9 million in Zap stock. Heidemann did supply 5 smart cars to Zap. Five of the most expensive smart cars ever, at 2 million a piece.

Zap sued SMART-Automobile LLC and Heidemann and has since written off the debt.

After more delays than the Italian railroad G&K finally obtained some necessary EPA and DOT certifications for the Smart Cars to meet forty-five state standards. Certification for the remaining five States, California, Maine, Massachusetts, New York and Vermont may still not have EPA certification. G&K has certification for the cars till 2006.

Unfortunately, Zap had charged thousands of bona fide smart car buyers a $1,000 to get on the list to get their smart and charged a fee to several dealers across the country, charging fees from $50,000 to $100,000 to become a franchisee for Zap.

Zap, G&K and Smart-Automobile cried wolf pointed fingers at each other and any one else and misrepresented the facts for almost 3 years.

Now Zap is suing G&K. Several of Zap's franchisee is suing Zap and the cycle continues.

Zap's CEO did hold talks with smart GmbH officials in Germany on March 21, 2005 at the annual shareholders meeting.

On May 24 of the same year, ZAP placed a purchase order directly to the smart car GmbH and DaimlerChrysler Group. The order was for 76,500 Smart cars, approximately one half of smart's total sales that year!
Then they sent out one of their patented press releases. Claiming they had placed the order after being told not to disclose their meeting.

Ulrich Walker, president of smart, promptly rebutted Zap's press release. Saying smart GmbH was

·
Registered
15 Posts
On the otherhand, you know your slightly higher monthly payment will be fixed over the next 4 or 5 years. What if gas prices double by the end of the loan - for sure the Smart would have been cheaper longterm!

stripped down passion = pure ! :p

I predict the final list prices will be within $1000 of those currently listed, I don't think Smart will be able to justify anything more just because it had to be modded for US safety and emmission standards.
You won't know the gas mileage until you drive one for some period of time so a comparison between Toyota, Nissan and others is questionable. I suspect the resale value of a SmartCar once in the US market will be much lower percentage wise than any of the afore mentioned autos.

Oh, of course, these cars need to hit the US market....they've been "promised" for some years now.

Let's face it, the appeal of this car is size, gas mileage and curb appeal. If other auto mfg's continue to increase gas mileage, that will continue to erode the gas issue. Although the SmartCar is stated to get 50+ mpg, I believe that may be based on the European model(s). I've also seen posted where the US version will get more like in the low 40s, near what some other mfg's models get now.
If so, that makes gas mileage a moot point.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I am very close to throwing in the bag on the US launch as all the excitement is a bit much for me to take and I can not wait for the car... I am looking in to potential gray market sellers as we speak!

·
Registered
72 Posts
On this same topic, has anyone here dealt with shipping the smart vehicle?

I am very interested in expanding the network of dealers I will look for and woudl like to consider the potential cost of shipping the vehicle.

Thanks
smartcar

·
Registered
14 Posts
grey market

IMHO I wouldn't buy the grey market Smartcar. There is a dealer less than 5 miles from me he's got 4 or 5 2006's, he wants 24 to 26 thousand for them. I think that is outrages, you are basicallly going to end up with a 2 year old car that by the time you get it out the door you've got 28 thousand dollars in it. Smartcar just isn't worth that kind of money, if I can't get my 2008 out the door for 18 then I'll get my 99 bucks back and go elsewhere. That's not even to mention the support system for the grey market cars once the 2008's arrive, I don't think there will be any. Bottom line 24 to 26 for a Smartcar no way.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Regarding a transport company to ship your cars, contact JMN Transportation in St. Louis. They contract nationwide. We pay $700 to $800 for individual shipments from California to St. Louis. Use that as a pricing guide for distance, but call them for a specific quote. Took us a while to find them. Hope that helps. Their number is 314-849-5595.

Ron Gaus, aSmartCar.com

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, but the smarts just LOOK better than all the others. Let's not forget vanity as a motivating factor.

Face it, 90% of the people who want one want one because they look good. Let's hope the comfortability of driving one matches the aesthetic.

IMO, I don't think gas mileage is yet a very serious consideration to most Americans yet, otherwise people would be driving slower, carpooling and planning their driving routes and errands more efficiently (like they did in the 70's). And we still pay only 1/3 the price Europeans do for a gallon of gas.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Just closed the deal yesterday

Hey All

I just closed a deal on a "Gray" Smart yesterday from a reputable dealer 20 miles from my home.

Granted I paid 10K more than the supposed SamrtUSA price and it is a 2006, BUT I will get it on Tue. I too was on the "Reservation" list, but when I found out the list exceeded 20K a week after I placed it, I figured I would have to wait a year + to get 1.

I could end up being the laughing stock of this forum, paid 10K more, got less of a warranty, got a lower powered 2006 model, BUT I am figuring on these facts.

SamrtUsa was only planning on getting 16K sent to the US for the first year (so anyone after that may have to wait), the 1000 CC motor seems to only get in the low 40's for MPG (we'll have to wait for the EU reports in the fall to be sure), while I will get into the 50's (already established) and ADM (Additional Dealer Markup), if the Smart is as HOT as it seems to be, the dealer will find a way to hit you with EXTRA charges, that I am sure of.

But in the end, ALL I know is, as of Wed morning I'll be commuting back and forth to work in a vehicle that more than doubles (truck 19 MPG, Gray Smart 50 MPG) my miles per gallon.

Granted @ a cost that I will never break even with, but with results that are priceless, smaller CO2 foot print, saving all those gallons of gas for your children.

I'm very lucky, I'm in a position where I can spend a few extra dollars for a car that in the end may help conserve for others.

So don't discout the Grey market, remember all GREY cars were done buy ONLY 1 company (regardless of who you buy it from) G&K conversions ( the ONLY cretified converter in the US), and if you chat the the Grey commuity members, you will see most are having GREAT luck with their car.

Hope it helps

ASM

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Some Thoughts...

In life, our memories provide the basis for our ongoing moments of joy. Whether it was those vacations with family, that year on the farm in the summer of 78 with Uncle Joe and Aunt Jan, or just those wonderful years growing up on your street as a kid. Memories are priceless, as Master Card correctly promotes. Using that background, ASmartMan, your next year of driving your smart will provide you with hundreds of pleasant memories that will be with you the rest of your life. As every one of the nearly 800,000 worldwide smart owners have known, and the 900 or so in this country now know, driving a smart is unlike anything they've ever driven in their life. You are now a smile creator. Not only in yourself and family, but in every passerby, every driver that witnesses your little work of art. The camera phones will click. The thumbs up gestures will occur. The head-turning effect of the pedestrian will be commonplace. You have just invested in your memory box, ASmartMan. That box will fill rather quickly. Watch closely the eyes that follow you. Return the smiles and the thumbs up gestures. Participate in the welcoming experience. Enjoy each moment. Enjoy each memory. Provide, in this forum, the days of Future Present to the rest of the forum. Welcome to the wonderful world of smart ownership. Your money wasn't wasted. It was a choice in speeding up a clock of opportunity. You will see that the money was well spent. However, it will be equally well spent by those that buy in 2008. A matter of choice. A matter of timing. Each of us is different in our goals. None of us are wrong in our goals.

Ron Gaus, aSmartCar.com

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have learned you can not get parts for a older model non usa smart at the dealerships. I ordered a car then saw one just like it on autotrader that was priced much below what most were marked up to. We bought it and love it. I would like to see the european fuel economy installed in our versions. I also think the best think we can do for resale value is be a good ambassador. I have let many people that noticed it sit in the drivers seat and learn a little about the car. Everyone has been surprised and pleased to get to really see the car. I live in rural Iowa far from the big city and people are seeing the car enjoyed in a different place than they pictured in their minds.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts