Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just completed the install of the Area 451 cruise control. It does not look like much when you get it out of the box. There is no servo, none is needed, and there is nothing to install on the engine. Who wudda thunk it.
It took about an hour to install the mod on the wiper control arm. Instructions on the internet are excellent, and nothing was missing from the instructions. Most of the time on the installation is taken by removing cosmetic covers and replacing them. I am surprised that Smart does not purchase the mod and sell it installed.

There is about an hour of time on pulling pins and exchanging pines with the control module. This is relatively low skill level stuff if you have ever worked with electronic pin plugs before. Even if you have not, and you are slow and careful it works out.

The unit worked immediately with no trouble shooting.
The control unit intercepts all data and issues all commands from one plug coming from the engine control module. very slick with no need for any calibration or adjusting.
***** rating. :D

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
I agree with your assessment that this is a great product - I did all but the pins myself - I just couldn't get the buggers out, and didn't want to mess them up (that is, after all, a pretty important little plug) - had Auto Toyz in Charlotte do the wire swap - 45 minutes, $50, and the cruise works like a top!
I have to say - I have had or driven a LOT of cars with cruise - some good, some poor -- but I have NEVER had one that was A) this simple (on or off), B) so well regulated! The drive from Charlotte to Columbia on route 77 is not flat (granted, it doesn't compare to some mountain roads), but I set the speed did not vary so much as 1mph up/down or in-between hills.

I highly recommend this to anyone that drives more than a few miles at a time.

(this has been an unsolicited, unpaid endorsement)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts