Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ordered in May, notified 8/30/08 my reserved unit was available at Smartieparts.
Didn't waste anytime questioning price, these folks have spent alot of time and money designing and testing this product so I bought. Steve Airmailed the box at his expense(that's customer service) and Sat 9/06/08 I had the unit on my doorstep.

The install went pretty much according to the instructions at the Area451 forums installation pages. Started about 9:00am and finished about 12:20. The vast majority of that time was spent trying to get the pins out of the smart's harness, and I would suggest to anyone installing be very careful and patient with these pins. The install pdf pages at area 451 are worth the view, maybe several times if you are unsure of how things come apart and go back together. Curse MB for not making a service manual available.

After getting everything buttoned up again a test ride was in order. My smartie started, shifted, and stopped just like before, all good. The cruise also worked as advertised including being able to manually shift up and down while the cruise holds a speed, sweeet.

Area451 engineered a great part for a great car.

Smartieparts made the purchase fast and painless.

I couldn't be happier with the product or the service.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sorry no photos, the best ones are actually at area451.

Seriously the pdf pages they did of their test install was all I needed to convince me to do it myself. And besides, once installed it is a stealth mod. Can't even see the little red light glowing because it's blocked by the steering wheel.

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
Video?

"The install video at area 451 is worth the view, maybe several times if you are unsure of how things come apart and go back together. "

Video, what video? :eek:

My unit has been shipped and I'd love to watch the video before I do the installation. Would you please post a link to it?

Thanks in advance,
Michael

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
babybenz

seriously?.... you are first person since my dad some 40 years ago when I was a lazy teenager to call me lazy.... harrumph, piffle, grrrrr

BTW our smart cars ares NOT baby Benz... it is a cheap amalgam of European parts and few if any systems resemble the quality and reliability we come to expect from a true Mercedes Benz product.... remember it is just a cheap $12K economy car that is more French, Polish, and Japanese then German... (insert smiling grin here)

Once my CC is installed I guess I too am just another lazy American driver, ah er I mean pilot...no that's not it...hummm maybe cargo...naw that don't sound right... OH, I know... If I eat a burger, chat on the phone, pick my nose, AND use Cruise Control the I will be in the 95th percentile of all American drivers...yea! Now I get it...Lazy like every body else!

·
Registered
79 Posts
"The install video at area 451 is worth the view, maybe several times if you are unsure of how things come apart and go back together. "

Video, what video? :eek:

My unit has been shipped and I'd love to watch the video before I do the installation. Would you please post a link to it?

Thanks in advance,
Michael
Not aware of any video. Here are links to installation pics and operating instructions:

Installation Instructions: Complete (warning, large post)

Operating Manual

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
Film or pdf to come?

Not aware of any video. Here are links to installation pics and operating instructions:

Installation Instructions: Complete (warning, large post)

Operating Manual
Thank you, Ron F. I was looking for the video that Lykris, the OP, said was helpful to watch before you install. I've read the written instructions and they seem straightfoward. (I wish I could get them to print so I'd have them in hand when I do the install. I asked the folks at Area 451 about that and about a pdf. This is the response:

"Hi. You aren't the first to request a PDF version, and you certainly won't be the last. I've been meaning to do it but just have been so busy. I'll try to get to that soon."

I offered to make a pdf for them if they would email me the file. So far, no response but it is 3 hours earlier out there. :)

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
pdf coming....

I cut and pasted them to Word and they print just fine!

:smartje.rd.zw:
Thank you. I just got a message that Area451 is going to try and post a pdf of them today or tomorrow. If they don't get around to it, I'll try your method.

·
Banned
4,883 Posts
Guys... I know Baby Benz personally... It was a joke... calm down... take a zanex or something... man this forum is uptight.

I would love to buy it... got my email last Thursday... just can't justify it right now financially...

Oh and Fed??? It's the name of his car :rolleyes: ... Just like mine is named Serendipity... and countless others have named their cars...

·
Registered
338 Posts
Wdhitch, glad you personally know Baby Benz...I guess that with the posting, it just didn't come across as a joke. I didn't mean to sound "uptight" but at times, somethings just rub the wrong way...hope you understand? and besides, zanex wouldn't help as that I wouldn't be taking it.
Fredvon, 95% of Americans can't be right...there aren't that many smart cars out there yet and with all the attention this car draws, I wouldn't be picking my nose...heck, I'd be on someone's cell phone camera! LOL

1 - 20 of 186 Posts