Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, it's time to find out if anyone is interested in having a get together over the Holiday season. The days after Christmas and before New Years should give enough time for a group to get together, take a drive and find good places to eat along the way. If anyone is interested and if you might have a suggestion as to where you would like the drive to go, now would be a good time to jump in with suggestions. Hopefully, several of you in this area will join in and help make this a fun event. Out of staters would be more than welcome to join in.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For me, anytime from the 27th to the 31st will work. We had talked earlier in the fall about going towards the vinyard areas near Altus and around that Northwestern quarter of the state, but anywhere is workable. I will find out if they are open or closed during that timeframe.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Last time I was in Coweta there was a sign talking about it being the home of the worlds tallest hill. Apparently it is the tallest point that is officially just short of being a mountain, and only by a small number of feet. That was about 10 years ago, maybe there has been an erosion problem that got out of hand. I seem to remember it as being on the south side of town maybe sort of near the high school. The motel that we stayed at was near the school and so was the sign.

No decision or responses other than seen here. Only the three of you have even responded, which is enough for a drive but no one has suggested a route as of yet.

Please feel free to suggest anything, direction wise or food wise.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,970 Posts
smarticus: There is no hill like that in or near Coweta. We've lived here for 20 years and there hasn't been a hotel or motel here in all those years. I think maybe you have us confused with another town.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, that actually could be exactly where it is. At least it is somewhat geographically in the right area. In 10 years it's floated around in my memory, thanks for putting it back where it belongs.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Apparently if we want much of anything to be open for food and fuel we had best try to make this take place on the 30th. I am still trying to find out if any of the vinyards are open for tours. I know that Weidekers (sp) and their restaurant is not open on major holidays. I will tell you as soon as I can find out who is open. We don't actually have to go to a vinyard, it had just been mentioned in the past as a possible stopping point.+
From the responses, the northwestern part of the state would seem to be the most central to all those who have responded. We could all meet up at any given location that is preffered or that anyone has interest in visiting.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JKJAHOBBS, I apparently transposed the location of a whole lot of real estate from Poteau to Coweta. Sorry. I am amazed at how much it seemed like the right place to have a hill.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Isn't it funny how we age and things move around when we are not looking. :D
There used to be a car museum in Petit Jean Mountain area. Possibly related to Winrock farms or one of the Rockefeller's if I REMEMBER? correctly or is it one of those floating hill kinda things. It may be long gone. I turn 60 this year but my memory has rolled over several times all ready. Might be a good point of interest to visit, IF IT STILL EXISTS! Somehow I doubt it.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,970 Posts
JKJAHOBBS, I apparently transposed the location of a whole lot of real estate from Poteau to Coweta. Sorry. I am amazed at how much it seemed like the right place to have a hill.
No problem. I learned something since I didn't know that Oklahoma even had a hill that was billed as the tallest in the world. I may have to make that one of our drives next spring or summer.

I realized last night that I hadn't asked the hubby if he can get off the 30th. Maybe with some arm twisting he can. I think I'm off the 30th, I know I am on the 31st.

Keep us posted on the where.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Museum is very much still up and running, here is the web info:

Hours & Rates

That would be a good place to go. It's a nice drive and we should be able to scare up a decent place to eat. We could drive in from the russelville side and then out to the south towards Little Rock on highway 9.

How does that sound to everyone?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So if everyone interested wants to go for the 31st it's good for me.
If we go to Petit Jean mtn. and the car musem ( see info above ) we could spend some time on the mtn., take pictures and even walk a trail or something similar. Barring really nasty weather it should be a fun cruise. My only concern would be eating someplace good on New Years Eve. I don't know how late any of these places will stay open. We wouldn't starve or run out of gas, but we might not have many choices open as to what or where we eat. There are the usual fuel and fast food places along the interstate which is not that far from the museum, though I always would try to find something unique instead of a Arbywindeymcducks.
SO how many would be down for the 31st? We could meet anywhere or several places depending on where you are driving in from.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So far: pretty much everyone responding is able on the 31st. If everyone shows up we should have 5 or 6 smarts and hopefully might be able to stir up a few more on scoa or by other contacts. For those of you who might come in from Ok. and Tn. and any other long distance attendees, how early would it be comfortable for you to get to either Little Rock or Russellville? Meeting up in L.R for those west bound and then intercepting the eastbounders from OK. at or near Petit Jean should be an easy thing to set up. We could go through the Auto Museum, see the mountain top area and go for a drive along Scenic Highway 7. That should make for a fairly full day.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts