Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The reason for no arm rest might be because the ignition lock is in the rear of the shifter console, between the seats (sorta' SAAB-style).

·
Registered
183 Posts
The reason for no arm rest might be because the ignition lock is in the rear of the shifter console, between the seats (sorta' SAAB-style).
So are both seat belt buckles. You can reach around the armrest with no problem but with a passenger you might warm him or her first. Also with a pasenger only one of you can buckle up at a time even without the armrest.

·
Registered
181 Posts
captain chair

there should be an option to have folding arms on the seats, much like the captain chairs in motorhomes (aftermarket opertunity?)

·
Registered
183 Posts
There are already several aftermarket folding and adjustable armrests available. The ones I have are upholstered in the same fabric as the seats.

·
Registered
10 Posts
there are too many armrests for the F2 some of them are included in the handbrake handle and some of them must be fixed on the floor, look at ebay europe you can find what you need

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
there are too many armrests for the F2 some of them are included in the handbrake handle and some of them must be fixed on the floor, look at ebay europe you can find what you need

I found this on ebay.co.uk there are several there. Search for smart armrest.

This one says "universal fit." I don't know if the smart is in this universe or not.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I am mechanic and fabricator competent so I just figured I would take out the seats, remove the seat back upholstery, and fabricate a way to mount a folding armrest even if it meant welding a pivot point into the seat back frame.... but alas I don't know how much I want to screw with the factory explosive air bag in the seat back.... problems problems problems.... while in there I considered adding aftermarket pump up lumbar support...I admit I did not check to see if these seats already have adjustable lower lumbar support... Hell I may just store the PITA MB seats and install a set of my Ford King Ranch Buckets...much better Leather any way and I bet all the dimensions are real close

·
Registered
798 Posts
while in there I considered adding aftermarket pump up lumbar support...I admit I did not check to see if these seats already have adjustable lower lumbar support... Hell I may just store the PITA MB seats and install a set of my Ford King Ranch Buckets...much better Leather any way and I bet all the dimensions are real close
Interesting comment about lumbar support, Fredvon4. I meant to mention that when I drove the smart (2nd test drive) at the smart house 2 Saturdays ago, that I asked my co-pilot, who was fresh off the road show, what he absolutely hated about the car after driving it across country. He thought for a minute and said (of course) that he didn't hate anything but that he would have liked more lumbar support. He also said that he sometimes drove 650 miles in a day--no problem. No issues with traffic, acceleration, etc.

He also commented on how cool the Passion roof was with the screen slid back. In big cities he just looked up for the view rather than trying to look out the side windows to see the buildings, etc. And was still amazed that he could park in spaces that other small cars would pass up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Spdickey, that'a an universal armrest, but you can find the armrest like the original.
I made my armrest about a nissan kubistar's armrest...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts