Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the OEM Smart car tires directional ?

I see some very stylized arrow "like" markings. Not sure if they mean one way only. Car is 08 Passion. Thanks. A2Jack.

·
Super Moderator
28,240 Posts
I certainly hope not. Most directional tires have a clear "direction of rotation" notice on the sidewall. :)

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Since you didn't mention the specific tire brand/model, as someone mentioned www.tirerack.com usually has a description that details whether the tire is directional, asymmetrical, or symmetrical. I just had the tires on our '13 rotated left <-> right. They are the OE Contis.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. Yes these are the OEM Continentals. All 4 corners have stock rear wheels and tires. Much better ride and easy rotate.

A2Jack

·
Registered
536 Posts
Since you didn't mention the specific tire brand/model, as someone mentioned www.tirerack.com usually has a description that details whether the tire is directional, asymmetrical, or symmetrical. I just had the tires on our '13 rotated left <-> right. They are the OE Contis.
Did you remove them from the rims, and swap them? Once a radial tire is run one direction, you can't simply move the wheel and tire to the other side, reversing it's direction. It can cause belt or even tread separation. Cross rotation was only ever for bias ply tires.

·
Super Moderator
11,216 Posts
There are dozens of references to rotating radial tires in a cross pattern. I believe the ply separation issue was resolved a long time ago.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Did you remove them from the rims, and swap them? Once a radial tire is run one direction, you can't simply move the wheel and tire to the other side, reversing it's direction. It can cause belt or even tread separation. Cross rotation was only ever for bias ply tires.
You've been a good boy and have been reading your manuals. I've read of this concern from a Mercedes Benz manual. From '93 to '09 my family stopped purchasing Mercedes for a while. The first reference to this specific concern that I remember was in the manual for my parents' '09. I had never heard of it before and last time I took the car for service at the local Mercedes dealer I didn't even bother asking about rotating because I already knew they wouldn't do it. America's Tire near me, on the other hand, is more than happy to rotate them left to right, for free...

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 10 of 10 Posts