Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
Nice digging in the graveyard Pands

And what was the Definition of High gas Prices in June of 07?

And these words from the Profits of Profit
GM customer studies have shown that Americans, who pay relatively little for gas compared with drivers in other countries, generally prefer bigger vehicles, Group Vice President John Smith said in March. Rising gas prices are boosting demand for small cars, but truly tiny cars like the Smart are unlikely to make gains unless gas prices go significantly higher, he said.
How did that plan work out for you GM?

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
That article is from last year, but yes this does feed into the bigger is better theory, which BTW does not apply to an accident with a semi.

·
17,431 Posts
Oh geez, this dates back to 2007!

Don't bring back the dead threads, I almost had sent MSNBC a "nice" email about smart sales and other small car sales as compared to the now Chinese Hummer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You know, this type of cheap gas mentality is just going to turn around and bite us all in the arse.
1. All the more reason to enjoy the cheap gas, while we can. Trading a few MPG for complete boredom with the driving experience is a fool's choice.

2. When gas gets expensive again, as it surely will, there's every reason to hope the manufacturers and suppliers will require lots of sharp and talented persons to conceive, design and manufacture products to fill the need. Clearly, small cars can succeed, but only A-class products. Third-stringers always die, usually quickly. Smart, Yugo, Renault, Fiat, all tried and died.

3. The feds are presently incentivizing electrics, and the likes of Tesla are designing really exciting products. Even with only a 200 mile range, I'll gladly trade my "just a car" for a Tesla Roadster, any day. Ditto, if they ever get a sedan or couple to market. There's just no excuse for boring hybrids, electrics or minicars. None.

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
3. The feds are presently incentivizing electrics, and the likes of Tesla are designing really exciting products. Even with only a 200 mile range, I'll gladly trade my "just a car" for a Tesla Roadster, any day. Ditto, if they ever get a sedan or couple to market. There's just no excuse for boring hybrids, electrics or minicars. None.
I would have to say, I would doubt you could get anyone to trade what you drive for a Tesla Roadster:twak:

But if you wait a till 2012 you can buy a tesla designed drive trin in a smart:D

Can't wait to see what thread he digs up next

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
The importance of incorrect assumptions and opinions needing to be enlightened. When an assumption is accepted as fact, truth becomes irrelevant. Over a year later, smart is still dying that same death. 10 years from now, the story will be the same...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts