Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
MID-ATLANTIC-August Meet, Greet and Eat?

Howdy all.

Looking ahead, do we want to have monthly get togethers?

In August the Saturdays are 8/2, 8/9, 8/16, 8/23, and 8/30.

I am thinking (and am always open to other suggestions)

We could meet at the Tyson's smart center for a photo op
(all of us in front of the dealership?)

Then drive to somewhere smart friendly (not Silver Diner) for dinner?
(Metro 29 Diner on Lee Hwy in Arlington has been suggested, 8 1/2 miles away?)

Post your choice of date, time and location.

Looking forward to seeing y'all soon.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No idea why he went postal (or should we say "dineral")?
I had spoken with the manager earlier in the week and alerted him that we would be coming.
This was the "weekend" manager and he evidently didn't get the memo?
I had a long conversation with SD Corp HQ and they "profusely" apologised.
(especially when I pointed out that there are now over 11,000 smart cars on the road and over 25K by the end of this year).

·
Registered
134 Posts
We were hoping to have the next meetup on the east side of DC- since it is the "Mid-Atlantic Region" how about if we move it around a bit- rather than just in Virginia? There is a LARGE,OPEN parking lot by the Texas Roadhouse Resturant in Bowie, MD. It's very easy to get to AND very FRIENDLY PEOPLE! :) How about that?

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Texas Roadhouse resturaunt? Now that sounds like a really cool place. Im open to any place really. The Metro Diner souunds good too, as long there are some good crusing tunes to play ( I tunes here i come)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Check out Texas Roadhouse's menu... Texas Roadhouse
A GREAT place to meet, great and eat! :) I'll contact the manager personally if we can decide on a day. If we meet & greet from 4-5pm and then plan on being seated at 5pm. How's that sound. If we wait much later it will get BUSY.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Looks like a good place to try, but the site gave me a problem viewing, of course it is a Vista thing likey. If the cost is not too hig, id be open to it.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey gotta have a smart
Fair is fair. First meet was in VA, next one can be in MD.
Roadhouse looks interesting (and yummy)

Would you want to take point on this meet?

I am good for anything in the later half of the month.
(I will be traveling first 2 Sats)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thanks wrumarger! :) I'm thinking the 23rd... Let me contact the manager and verify things first. The last weekend is a holiday weekend- I don't know if that would be a positive or a negative on attendence... I can post a new thread with Mid-Atlantic Region in the title so we'll get more attention once we get everything figured out. How's that sound?

·
Registered
39 Posts
We'd love to attend, but August is almost booked with commitments. Might be able to make it on the 23rd or 24th.

Also, I think we should do one or two more events in Virginia. We can do Maryland in December, January, and February. :clown:

Or we could do DC on a weekday, when there's no traffic. :badidea:

Joe

·
Registered
134 Posts
Also, I think we should do one or two more events in Virginia. We can do Maryland in December, January, and February. :clown:Joe
HA! I'm thinking we should meet SOUTH of DC for those months- like WAY SOUTH... maybe FLORIDA!:p
Let's just be fair and keep moving it around the "Mid-Atlanic Region" so everyone has a fair shot at attending.
I'll call the Texas Roadhouse manager about the 23rd & let you all know. Lisa

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
The 23rd is the very best date for me. It is the day after my pay day , and then i can make it my "cheat night" hee hee. Labor day weekend is out for me period as i am going out of town that weekend. BTW to do a meet right in DC not too good. Too much traffic and a lot of risky areas, and although the Smart is a great car for parking, there are those with larger cars such as mine who are not as lucky to find good spaces. I may not have my " Smartie" but at least i have the shirt to wear.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Would love to make it and meet you guys, but I'll most likely be in Philly the weekend of the 23rd. Sounds like a great location though. Looking forward to seeing the pics!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Howdy all.

Looking ahead, do we want to have monthly get togethers?

In August the Saturdays are 8/2, 8/9, 8/16, 8/23, and 8/30.
I'm leaving the 9th for Cancun, returning the 24th... :)

My vote is for either the 2nd or the 30th.

In case you all settle on another date, please post a lot of pictures!

Of course, we could have the meet at Senor Frog in Cancun... :D

·
Registered
134 Posts
plans in the making....

I called Texas Roadhouse this morning to "get clearance" for August, 23rd. (We don't need another occurrance like last time.) :p Unfortunately the manager won't be in until tomorrow afternoon- so I'll try again then.

QUESTION:
Is there a valid preference for meeting for lunch (meet at 11am & eat at noon, when they open) OR dinner (meet at 4pm and eat at 5)???

I'm thinking they may be more open to the lunch thing and us meeting in the parking lot BEFORE THEY OPEN for business. Just a thought but I won't know what the manager's thinking until after our conversaton tomorrow. What do you all think?

·
Registered
90 Posts
another idea to avoid getting kicked out....

Why not go to a park area...like greenbelt park, carderock park, or others where we can tailgate and also get a permit to reserve the area. I think the permits are free. I checked online and found this at greenbelt park, closer to bowie....but there may be others. I just looked at a map quickly.

Can I reserve any picnic areas in Greenbelt Park?
Yes, Holly and Laurel picnic areas can be reserved by calling Park Headquarters at 301-344-3948. They can be reserved from May 1 to October 1.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Parks Sound Better

Big Parks are a great idea. People come and go as they want they can bring their own food and drinks. Great Seneca Park in Germantown MD seems larger with a lot more activities like paddle boating and fishing and open areas to do any type of sports and has more Covered Picnic tables in case it rains. As far as parking there's plenty of parking lots. We could have our own Smart car lot. Just an idea for the Maryland meet up.

Seneca Creek State Park

Still don't know why we couldn't get DC on the map. It's our nations Capital we should take advantage of a meet up downtown, Oh I forgot SCOA CAN"T GET US A CHAPTERS. This MID ATLANTIC IS STARTING TO BITE. Get it together Moderators of SCOA or just wake up. How is VA Beach any of my concern when I live 5 hours away. I might as well join the NJ Chapter which is 3 hours away. YEAH I'm speaking up. Get it together SCOA. VA should have there meet ups and MD should have there own and then the Metro DC area should have there own. Maybe we wouldn't have these meet up issues. I will check into that???????? As far as the Texas Diner I would be down but not sure about the food but I'm down with socializing in the parking lot.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts