Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
THIS EVENT IS CANCELED.

Formula 1 racing returns to the United States at the newly constructed Circuit of the Americas in Austin, TX: Circuit of The Americas - Home of the F1 US Grand Prix | Nov. 16-18, 2012 | Austin TX

Mercedes-Benz will be represented by the Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team, with drivers Nico Rosberg and seven time world champion Michael Schumacher piloting the 2012 Mercedes F1 W03: MERCEDES AMG PETRONAS - Official site

Enjoy the race or just spend a long weekend in Austin sampling the city’s eclectic blend of food, music and cultural venues. Here’s your chance to meet other smart owners, support the Mercedes F1 team, sample Austin’s car2go fleet, listen to some of the best original music in the country and get your fix of authentic Texas cooking: Austin, TX | Austin Hotels, Events, Attractions, Things To Do & More | AustinTexas.org

See you there! :)

Photo by Bob Bullock, Texas State History Museum

·
Registered
499 Posts
Austin US Grand Prix

John- As one of the 'unsophisticated' Americans that attended the US GP at Indy for 6 straight years I find the idea of Austin holding the US GP kind of laughable. Don't get me wrong, as an ex-pat Texan I love Austin but if Bernie Ecclestone considered Indy's GP crowd unsophisticated I can only imagine what this will be like. Maybe Willie will sing the national anthem at the opening!

·
Super Moderator
28,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update

OK, the hotel booking page is apparently working; problem is the race weekend has driven prices up considerably. Did a check on Kayak and right now the best price is $100/night at Motel 6 Austin Central - South/Univ. of TX 5330 N Interregional Hwy.

General admission tickets go on sale June 10th through the CoA site - 3 day passes only; $159 for grass berms or bleacher seats from $269 up.

Shuttle bus arrangements are still being negotiated with the city with no time frame for when that info will be available.

Much as I would like to do this over the Grand Prix weekend it seems to be a stretch to me and we'd be better off gong for late October or the first week in November to avoid the high prices and other fallout from the race. What does everyone think? :)

·
Registered
833 Posts
A very affordable alternative is to stay in San Antonio. If you stay on the north side of SA the track is about an hour away as it is on the south side of Austin. Also saw today they are looking for volunteers to work the race.

·
Super Moderator
28,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Due to the high cost of tickets and lodging, plus lack of details on shuttle transportation to the race track, this event is canceled. :(

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,971 Posts
How about our rethinking an Austin event. Hold it a different weekend. Get input from Austin, San Antonio and Houston smarts and have an event similar to the Ohio April Fools event. Arrive Friday, do a drive with various stops on Saturday eat breakfast on Sunday and then everyone heads for home. It could be any weekend this fall.
It would be great if a Texas person or persons volunteered to help with planning since they have a better idea of what to do there.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I just got my smart and I'm sad to see this event's cancelled. Are there any other smart meetups or groups in the Austin area? Any events planned?

·
Registered
89 Posts
We were really excited to see an event back home that we could drive the cdi down for (and to see friends, family, and then there's bbq, good beer, tex mex) oh well, maybe next year...

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,675 Posts
Is the race still on?
While there may still be some PREMIUM seat packages (must buy PSL and then pay $400-$800 per) available, it could be tough to get "affordable" tix as all of those listed below are SOLD OUT . . .

GRANDSTAND BLEACHERS 3 DAY PASS - SOLD OUT

TURN 12 (Rows 16 & Up) $499

TURN 12 (Rows 1 - 15) $399

TURN 11 & 13 $269

TURN 2 - 6 & 9 - $299

GENERAL ADMISSION 3 DAY PASS - SOLD OUT

ONLY $159

Get Tickets | Circuit of The Americas - Home of the Formula 1 US Grand Prix | Nov. 16-18, 2012 | Austin TX

1 - 18 of 18 Posts