Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Austin TX road show event began today, although they didn't announce a dealer they were confident Central Texas would get one.

I did a brief on-camera interview for our local ABC affiliate.

kvue.com
/video/index.html?nvid=186866

On another note, has anyone who reserved in April received a reservation confirmation?

Thanks

Jeff Lomax
Austin TX

·
Registered
81 Posts
Wow, I read on the transript of the story, "Besides claims of comfort, safety and fuel efficiency the SMART car can reach speeds of 90 miles per hour making it legal for city or freeway driving. Already 770,000 pre-orders have been received, even though it won't be available in the U.S. until after the first of the year. "
Not sure where they got that number from, unless that's a world wide sales to date number.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Jeff

I was there also and confirmed with Classic Auto of Round Rock that they are the exclusive Central Texas Smart dealer.

RE the 770,000 number.... I doubt she got that from the Smart Tour Marketing folks...it probably came from the "producer's " quick read of "background" info when making notes to put the story together

This was not the only errant info bandied about down there. I heard all sorts of strange claims by folks standing in line chit chatting with one another... Hybrid, diesel, 75MPG, 35MPG, Hydrogen, Electric, Turbocharged, 100W Alpine stereo w/bass sub, Roadster, 4WD option, 4 door option, 5 star rated, Zero emissions, yadda, yadda, yadda...

On the flip side I thought the Smart Tour folks were very well informed. Every question I heard asked was answered by the "tour" marketing team with what I considered honest and correct answers.

I did note that they steered away form the High Octane required issue.

They hinted that some of the "options" were not necessary. For example the electric power steering. When asked about this, one of the guys told how they had been out on the tour for many weeks and had over 14,000 miles driving the Smart in every road and traffic condition. He said the manual steer versions were just a easy to drive as the power steer version.

The Classic Sales staff was behind in the learning curve. Several of them over heard me talking to others (debunking some myths) and I got cornered by some of the senior sales staff and asked a LOT of questions.

They were unaware of the PAG/IB internet SmartUSA marketing program. The were very interested in getting up to speed. They told me their company was just acquired by PAG in last 60 days. The said that their GM was still up in Michigan formalizing the Smart deal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts