Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Only $350. Not that bad, if the tires covered the wheels it would look better. I could go for that. Wait $3500!!!!! Oh hell no. I could almost put a Hayabusa in for that.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only $350. Not that bad, if the tires covered the wheels it would look better. I could go for that. Wait $3500!!!!! Oh hell no. I could almost put a Hayabusa in for that.
and another $14,000 for the install kit of that engine. We are currently working on a safe 250-300whp engine build using the smart block, will post updates on the machined parts soon. PS: when its your car, you can put what ever wheels you wish. thanks

·
Registered
300 Posts
Can't you re-body a whole Smart for $1500? I know that's to stock but this is too much. Can 71 hp even turn the wheels?

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
XxDevilzeroxX, you must be related or a friend to LittoDevil ???
He too vowed to crank out 300 horse out of the little 3 popper but in all of his trials here on SCoA was pretty much a disaster...If you have read his threads here on SCoA you can see what he did... Don't know if he lost interest or got pissed off, but he has vanished from SCoA and don't know what happened on the last engine build he was working on when he split...

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Since it's made in America, kept people employed, and required a lot of work, I hope it's successful in some right.

But that price is just insane, and there's still rivets on the finished product. Just food for thought.

Regardless, I wish you the best of luck.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since it's made in America, kept people employed, and required a lot of work, I hope it's successful in some right.

But that price is just insane, and there's still rivets on the finished product. Just food for thought.

Regardless, I wish you the best of luck.

its the design, customer can always do as they wish.

team mates vehicle.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm a hot rod guy and have gained a touch of notariety for some of my exploits. You could say performance is something I like.

43 trips around the sun must have taken it's toll. I don't see anything I care for on either vehicle. It's quite the opposite. Perhaps it appeals more to the PlayStation generation.

Good luck in your venture.

·
17,350 Posts
and another $14,000 for the install kit of that engine. We are currently working on a safe 250-300whp engine build using the smart block, will post updates on the machined parts soon. PS: when its your car, you can put what ever wheels you wish. thanks
Matt Boesch of GeniusParts had a full turn-key conversion going for just $7,500. He only made a car or two and I'm not sure if he's willing to do it again.

Yoshi of Sinister Sand Sports has his basic Hayabusa kit going for a similar price.
Though, his full kit (which includes a wider track and performance parts and such) is going for $22,000.

Your widebody smart is one of the most intimidating smarts I've ever seen, but holy cow do those parts cost a hefty penny. :)

It appears to me that exposed rivets are the intended style of most widebody conversions. I've yet to see a proper stanced and widebodied car without rivets.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I do want to add, seriously pursue that high horse power engine! I hope that's a profitable venture. That's a project I would be much more interested in.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Lots of the pleasure in these expensive kits and upgrades is enjoying their exclusivity as well. Some of that goes into the pricing. I know from personal experience that the specific kit being offered used lots of man power and countless hours of labor. Trying to make a living creating body kits means the expense helps pay the bills and pay for a living.

Whether it's your cup o' tea or not is open to debate, but sometimes I grow a little tired seeing others complain about the prices of everything some individuals are not willing to pay for. If you want stock, stay stock. If you want upgrades and performance parts that very few people are willing to buy then it will cost you money.

The cost of production and lower sales makes prices go up on a per unit basis. I also know personally that the car that has this kit on it is the most unique and aggressively designed smart car I have ever seen. By far too. It's really not even close.

·
17,350 Posts
Devilzero's smart is easily the widest I've ever seen. Wonder how handling had been changed with making it wider...

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Kit? Who said anything about a kit? I build everything myself. Don't need no stinking kit. Have tubing bender, welder, chassis table, mill, lathe and 2 roll-a-ways full of tools. Top, middle and bottom boxes. I have experience in fiber glassing too. Hand lay and chopper gun. :hackitup::toot:wink:

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Lots of the pleasure in these expensive kits and upgrades is enjoying their exclusivity as well. Some of that goes into the pricing. I know from personal experience that the specific kit being offered used lots of man power and countless hours of labor. Trying to make a living creating body kits means the expense helps pay the bills and pay for a living.

Whether it's your cup o' tea or not is open to debate, but sometimes I grow a little tired seeing others complain about the prices of everything some individuals are not willing to pay for. If you want stock, stay stock. If you want upgrades and performance parts that very few people are willing to buy then it will cost you money.

The cost of production and lower sales makes prices go up on a per unit basis. I also know personally that the car that has this kit on it is the most unique and aggressively designed smart car I have ever seen. By far too. It's really not even close.
When you do something like this, there is two ways to make your money back. Price it really high and hope 2 or 3 people buy it to recoop your costs. Or make $100 on each kit and sell the snot out of them. Obviously Devil-double-naught is going to try and sell a couple and bail.

·
17,350 Posts
When you do something like this, there is two ways to make your money back. Price it really high and hope 2 or 3 people buy it to recoop your costs. Or make $100 on each kit and sell the snot out of them. Obviously Devil-double-naught is going to try and sell a couple and bail.
Bingo!

Smart Madness sells affordable products that I'm 100% certain they profit out of. Devilzero's products appeal to a certain kind of person that wants something outrageous and will pay the ridiculous price for it.

You can get two sets of factory panels bought and installed for the price of that widebody...and we all know smart isn't the first name in affordable. :)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts