Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed that my smart doesn't auto lock anymore after driving over 7 mph. Anyone know why?

Also, the volume control isnt functioning properly (stock stereo) when turning up and down the volume, if i turn it up it doesnt turn up right away but then goes up a lot (which is loud), same with turning it down. Dont know what happened...

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Look in the manual, it can be added again.
You could pull the proverbial plug by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes which may bring the radio back to normal.

·
17,352 Posts
I have the solution to both issues as my car has experienced both!

1. Somehow you accidentally disabled the Drive Lock feature. Refer to your owner's manual for how to reactivate it. It's an easy 5 second process.

2. Unfortunately, your radio volume knob is done. Mine started doing that a couple months ago. Now, it only works when it wants to. Sometimes I'll spin it infinitely and the volume won't change, or it'll go up when I'm turning it down (and vise versa).

The only solution is to use your warranty and get the radio repaired! My car is at the dealer now and they're just trashing the entire headunit.

·
Super Moderator
1,253 Posts
If the radio is the same Bose unit used in some Mercedes sedans, there are cheap DIY fixes for the volume knob. If you go to the 210 chassis section at BenzWorld "dot" org and do a search, you will find a couple of different fixes.

Len

·
17,352 Posts
If the radio is the same Bose unit used in some Mercedes sedans, there are cheap DIY fixes for the volume knob. If you go to the 210 chassis section at BenzWorld "dot" org and do a search, you will find a couple of different fixes.

Len
Mercedes went with Bosch for smart headunits.

Honestly, if you're under warranty, just take it to the dealer. The dealer replaced the whole headunit in my car because of the stupid non-working volume knob.

·
Super Moderator
1,253 Posts
Mercedes went with Bosch for smart headunits.

Honestly, if you're under warranty, just take it to the dealer. The dealer replaced the whole headunit in my car because of the stupid non-working volume knob.
Okay, thanks for that info. Absolutely if you are under warranty let the dealer fix it.

Len

·
17,352 Posts
If you're out of warranty, I wouldn't even bother unless you know how to get inside the faceplate (AFAIK, there aren't any how-tos) and know how to fix a rotary-type dial (or can replace it).

Otherwise, I'd dump the thing (it sucks, anyway) and go aftermarket. :)

·
17,352 Posts
The OP has an electric drive - it better be under warranty. :)
Oh I know. :)

I'm saying that in general for those of us with 2011s and newer with volume knobs on their way out.

I thought I was the only person that has had the loco knob break.

I also was surprised to hear the dealer had a new headunit simply laying around the parts department.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Mine did the same thing, I think the fix was on page 84 in the manual!! But it was basically drive while holding the lock button, I believe.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies guys... @Dora tried it, didnt work.

Coming up on 10k and 1 year so i'll just mention it before i take it in

1 - 13 of 13 Posts